• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Evans width restriction

They are new and being very nice. At some point their "effectiveness" will be under review. Then the nitpicking starts and any reason you give them to justify a ticket or even an arrest, they'll jump on. After that they'll be following groups around waiting for you to spin a tire or touch a tree. If you wheel faster than they can keep up in their 6X6, speeding ticket.

Put it this way. Remember when it was no problem to use the short spot of Little Naches road to get your buggy from Long Meadow to Kaner? Law enforcement would leave you be so long as you did not go past the 1901 toward 410. Now thanks to more government spending and growth they are a force that specifically sits there waiting for you to make that mistake.

I see us having to load up in the Evans Creek campground and trailer our junks 30 yards over to the upper day use area every time we want to run a trail in three years. Just a prediction. :awesomework:

In three years :haha:

I forget the reason why exactly its closed, but its not a bird. Sorry, but your wrong. The bird in question is a goshawk, and has already done its mating and nesting for the year. Its never been seen for a reason, unless you know what to look for, you just wont see it.

Google Marbled Murlett, a protected seabird that nests in old growth trees.

One of the 4x4 trails started out as a 14 foot wide logging road built in the 1970s when the USFS was clearcutting old growth trees in the area, now it has an 80" wide gatekeeper. Several of the other 4x4 trails were originally singletrack dirt bike trails that flatfenders bootlegged into wider trails.

Last edited:
Didn't you have a 1st gen? Club cab?

Edit.

My 91 Dodge W250 is 79 inches wide at the rear axle. Tires are BFG 315-75-16 (35s). The Warn hubs stick out past the outer lip of the front wheels about .750. Not sure what the backspacing on the wheels is. If I had flanges or the new Yukon hubs with their low profile my tow rig would fit.

yep still have the 1st gen love my tow rig but its 2wd

:awesomework:

If doom and gloom happens as you predict then people will do what they have to do.:;

I was just at one yesterday morning looking for a couple particular recently stolen Toyotas. Since the crushed rock started hitting the trails and Reiter was closed for being the picture of sustainability without costing one tax dollar, I have already been doing what I need to. :awesomework:

And yes Crash, three years would be my guess. They are already putting in a new road to the campground. It was part of the logging we are referring to. The new road to camp will join into the road between the lower and upper staging area, a non-ORV legal road. Once the current road into camp from the upper day use area is decommissioned there will be no legal ORV route from camp to the trails.

Naches is a money maker because they put pavement between the trail and camp. I see them applying this trick to Evans as well. It is in the plans. Two years probably. I said three to be safe.

I was just at one yesterday morning looking for a couple particular recently stolen Toyotas. Since the crushed rock started hitting the trails and Reiter was closed for being the picture of sustainability without costing one tax dollar, I have already been doing what I need to. :awesomework:

And yes Crash, three years would be my guess. They are already putting in a new road to the campground. It was part of the logging we are referring to. The new road to camp will join into the road between the lower and upper staging area, a non-ORV legal road. Once the current road into camp from the upper day use area is decommissioned there will be no legal ORV route from camp to the trails.

Naches is a money maker because they put pavement between the trail and camp. I see them applying this trick to Evans as well. It is in the plans. Two years probably. I said three to be safe.

You missed my sarcasm mike :redneck:

More like last year :D

The new road to camp will join into the road between the lower and upper staging area, a non-ORV legal road. Once the current road into camp from the upper day use area is decommissioned there will be no legal ORV route from camp to the trails.

In the last plan I saw they were going to keep the now existing trail/road that leads you from the 311 to the camp ground to use to get back and forth to the trails??????????? That was a plan from awhile back, has it changed? It does suck that that will be the only option we have to get into the trails.

Sarcasm is an easy thing to miss on the internet. :awesomework: Which sucks for me as sarcasm is a cornerstone in my sense of humor.

You're right about the 311 trails Greg. I foresee a big mess once large groups try to pass one another on such a small trail. As of now we have the option from the campground to go to any of the trails to start our day. 311 A or B, shoot across to 520 or head down the road a bit to 196 and 197. The Forest Service thinks the path to sustainability is to turn one trail into a main artery everyone must rip through to get anywhere else. Great planning big G.
:beer:

Sarcasm is an easy thing to miss on the internet. :awesomework: Which sucks for me as sarcasm is a cornerstone in my sense of humor.

You're right about the 311 trails Greg. I foresee a big mess once large groups try to pass one another on such a small trail. As of now we have the option from the campground to go to any of the trails to start our day. 311 A or B, shoot across to 520 or head down the road a bit to 196 and 197. The Forest Service thinks the path to sustainability is to turn one trail into a main artery everyone must rip through to get anywhere else. Great planning big G.
:beer:

:redneck::redneck:

Ya but I could have added a :redneck: to that as I am simply a smart azz :D

I was at Evan's Creek a month or so ago. I just barely fit with my narrower tires.
We only got to run a couple of trails as we spent a lot of time on 520 trying to keep from sliding off the trails.

I think Evan's Creek has been changed to what a group of users wanted it to be. It's a mild to medium trail system. Probably a lot of fun for a stockish rig with 31-33" tires, maybe a locker, but for a built rig, it's lost it's appeal.

I think that if you're out for a fun, family style run with a variety of vehicles, you can still have a good time there.

Admitedly, I don't get out nearly often as I used to anymore but a hard core run isn't required everytime, to enjoy some time in the mountains.

I haven't been there in years because a few reasons.

1. the width restriction. easy fix for me but I don't feel like swapping wheels.

2. The damn road up there is a death trap. With the washboard road conditions on several corners and the sun blinding you in the dust.

3. Like said earlier for a built rig it's bla.

I haven't been there in years because a few reasons.

1. the width restriction. easy fix for me but I don't feel like swapping wheels.

2. The damn road up there is a death trap. With the washboard road conditions on several corners and the sun blinding you in the dust.

3. Like said earlier for a built rig it's bla.

and you only go to tahuya :haha:

Google Marbled Murlett, a protected seabird that nests in old growth trees.

One of the 4x4 trails started out as a 14 foot wide logging road built in the 1970s when the USFS was clearcutting old growth trees in the area, now it has an 80" wide gatekeeper. Several of the other 4x4 trails were originally singletrack dirt bike trails that flatfenders bootlegged into wider trails.

I stand corrected.

The last time i heard they where preaching about a goshawk in the area.

i was assuming it is closed in the winter now from the guy that went up there a couple winters ago late at night with his kid....rolled off the trail and noone found him for hours, noone new he was up there. he died but his kid survived....i remember reading this on the news, isn't this a true story?

i just swapped to lockouts on my full width 60 front, 77.5" hub to hub with h1 wheels. I was up at evans several weeks ago, barely fit through with the locking hubs on...i think the width restriction is too much. IMO a stock to near stock rig does as much or more destruction because they get stuck and have to go off the trail and spin tires and turn around in strange areas and beat the piss out of the trail....just my .02

i was assuming it is closed in the winter now from the guy that went up there a couple winters ago late at night with his kid....rolled off the trail and noone found him for hours, noone new he was up there. he died but his kid survived....i remember reading this on the news, isn't this a true story?

True story. The guy decided to sleep next to a stump instead of inside his vehicle even though it was freezing out. That is not why it is closed in the winter time.