• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Event Hospitality--what makes it for you & where is it best?

bradzuki

Been in a long discussion today trying to rally the city of Oak Ridge, TN to back this weekends Crawl Rally at Windrock. Technically Windrock is in Oliver Springs but they don't have any hotels so Oak Ridge gets all of the hotel traffic since we are less than 10 miles away. I moved here almost 8 years ago and have seen this city do NOTHING to promote Windrock or the visitors to our town that it brings. They bend over backwards to help the rowing teams that visit a few times a year but can't so much as put up a "Welcome" sign for the hundreds of visitors that pack our hotels EVERY weekend to visit Windrock. I am making it my mission to change this. All of you visitors bring thousands of tax dollars to our town and bygod our town should welcome you with open arms.
My questions are:
What town makes you feel most welcome and how?
What would you like to see that would make you feel more welcomed in a town that you visit?
Have you even been shunned by locals when attending an event?
Please feel free to comment good or bad. I am trying to change the stereotype of a bunch of drunk rednecks blasting through a mudhole in our town. I told them when they see a truck, trailer with a couple of side by sides and a buggy on it that they are looking at close to $200K sitting there. They shouldn't turn their noses up at our visitors just because they have a little dirt on them. Just because all of you guys aren't rolling up to the marina in a Lexus to attend one of our rowing events doesn't mean you are second class citizens.
I'm not very good typing all this stuff out as you can probably tell so forgive me for that but I'm sure you get the jist of what I'm trying to say.

Also, I want to point out that the Comfort Inn of Oak Ridge is the only hotel that has backed this. They give the Windrock visitors special rates and are also behind my mission. Please give them your business if you come to visit. www.comfortinnoakridge.com

bradzuki said:
I am trying to change the stereotype of a bunch of drunk rednecks blasting through a mudhole in our town.

I love what you are trying to do, but you will never change this! Anyone who have even pulled a buggy into a gas station knows what question comes first, "y'all goin muddin?"

I would make sure to point out that there are 50,000 forum members that are within driving distance that eat and breath wheeling and are VERY loyal to those that help us

It just really pisses me off that our "convention and visitors bureau" or whatever gets a half mil a year to "promote" Oak Ridge and that money goes towards everything you can imagine EXCEPT the huge influx of wheelers that we get. I'm just sayin something ain't right.

bradzuki said:
It just really pisses me off that our "convention and visitors bureau" or whatever gets a half mil a year to "promote" Oak Ridge and that money goes towards everything you can imagine EXCEPT the huge influx of wheelers that we get. I'm just sayin something ain't right.

Probably going into someone's pocket. That, or "company cars" and "business lunches". I mentioned wanting to do a KoH type race, a big purse, big recognition kind of deal, but realized it would never draw a local crowd or have the logistics to work without the city behind it.

Mike, have you been here when the rowers are here? They F'n shut down half the city, put up tents, flyers, every sign on every restaurant is welcoming them, F'n mayor is out there giving hand jobs. They're here 5-6 times a year max.
Every weekend there are trailers full of Rzrs and wheelers everywhere. We get huge events like the Crawl Rally and no one even blinks. Do you seriously think more tax money comes from yuppie rowers or the wheelers? Guess which one gets $0 spent for them.

muddinmetal said:
I love what you are trying to do, but you will never change this! Anyone who have even pulled a buggy into a gas station knows what question comes first, "y'all goin muddin?"

I would make sure to point out that there are 50,000 forum members that are within driving distance that eat and breath wheeling and are VERY loyal to those that help us

Pretty much.

You'll never get a snooty ass town like Oak Ridge to change the way "they" view 'wheelers.

It's not a "sophisticated" sport.

bradzuki said:
Mike, have you been here when the rowers are here? They F'n shut down half the city, put up tents, flyers, every sign on every restaurant is welcoming them, F'n mayor is out there giving hand jobs. They're here 5-6 times a year max.
Every weekend there are trailers full of Rzrs and wheelers everywhere. We get huge events like the Crawl Rally and no one even blinks. Do you seriously think more tax money comes from yuppie rowers or the wheelers? Guess which one gets $0 spent for them.

Like I said, nobody behind us.

Wait, YOU SHOULD RUN FOR MAYOR!!! :woot: Run on a wheelin'/tourism platform, I'd rent a ghetto apartment for the address just so I could vote for ya! :****:

Re:

I'd come to the rowing event.....for a hand job from the mayor!

All jokes aside, I commend you for your efforts. 85% of the people have no clue what kind of money is tied up in this "hobby."

All the business's figure if your gonna come you gotta stay somewhere,& you gotta eat somewhere so the hell with discounts. They might as well gouge you while they can is the way most of em look at it. :****:

Partnering with local businesses is the only way to go. The town knows what it's gonna support, so you just have to deal with it. A business owner that gets good, ROI, will put their name out there and will help due to the influx of income. Gas stations, restaurants, individually owned parts stores, fab shops, etc is where I would start. Good luck and don't quit when you get your first 100 no's, just takes one yes to spur you on tp the next 100 no's.

My thoughts on helping out with events in the community is to never deal on the phone, Facebook, email, etc. Someone with a poster in hand usually gets the nod from me. Also, a non sales pitch, honest event gets my attention as well (see Shamrock Run). In your case, a short video, parts list and a local parts store may be just the ticket. I don't know the area, but all people need money to make it. Find someone that thinks they can make a little money (or hopefully just passionate about the cause) and you will get a lot further.

Ok. I just got back from the Crawl Rally. Thanks to TN Mtn Junkies and all supporters of the event. It was a blast! Randall Key-----YOU ARE 1 CRAZY MoFo!!!! Awesome job to all the participants!

The last couple of days I have been visiting with all different businesses and city personnel. Even talked to the City Manager this morning before heading to Windrock. I threw a bunch of numbers at him and asked why our "great" city doesn't support the people that help to support us. Straight up deer in the headlights. Nothing. Then, wait, wait, wait......bumbling about I should get in touch with Katy who is the head of our Visitors Bureau and she would have all kinds of great info for me and she reaches out to all community entities, blah, blah, blah. Ok. **** that, I've got hill killing to go see.

So I get to Windrock and there is a F'n line a quarter mile long to get in. Nothing to see here, right?

Get up to pay to get my wristband and lo and behold it's Brent Galloway, General Manager of Coal Creek (Windrock). I pull off to the side and start talking to him about what I've got going on. Long story short, we have a meeting set up net week where we are going to go over hard numbers. He informed me that he's been trying to get Katy (chick City Manager told me to talk to) to help him promote events for 5-6 years but has gotten nothing from her. Hmmmm..........

So here's where I'm at. The businesses in Oak Ridge want and appreciate the visitors (at least all the ones I've spoken to have) but yet the actual city departments are turning a blind eye (these are the people that control the $$$). I'm thinking I will have my meeting with Brent next week, get solid numbers for attendance (for both events and year round) and then approach the visitors bureau. Ask them what the F is going on and tell them I won't leave until I get answers. Then take all info and write a letter to the editor of the paper and also forward it to all council members along with several city groups that are on FaceBook. I believe that I will be able to get enough backing to make a difference. This is a highly contested election year for our city council and many of the incumbents have been widely accused of being in the "good ol boy" network.

I dunno at this point, I'm just following my gut. I have no idea if any of this will pan out or if it will blow up in my face. I'm just doing what I think is right to see that the folks that are here every single weekend get their fair share of pats on the back. This town acts as if the rowing teams that visit 5-6 times a year (and most stay in Knoxville because of restaurants, shopping) is the Holy Grail of tax revenue while the folks that are here EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND are invisible. It pisses me off like you wouldn't believe. I don't even have a rig right now to go wheel on my own so I have no dog in this fight other than the fact I want equal money spent on attendees.

Thoughts? Input?

TBItoy said:
You'll never get a snooty ass town like Oak Ridge to change the way "they" view 'wheelers.

It's not a "sophisticated" sport.

You are correct, I'm afraid. I will do what I can to make sure that they know damn good and well what kind of influence they have on this snooty ass town tough. Bet that!

muddinmetal said:
If the city gets too involved it may do more harm that good
The city of Oak Ridge really can't do anything other than help promote and "roll out the red carpet" so to speak. Windrock is in the next town and we have no control over it. Oliver Springs has no hotels, only a few campgrounds, so most of the traffic stays here in our hotels and eats in our restaurants. We have nothing to do with the actual wheeling part of it.

Comfort Inn expressed interest in wanting to expand to include a wash station and storage. They also want to have tents set up for events to let locals showcase (such as my fab shop) but everything in OR has to have city approval. Businesses aren't even allowed to have signs except to have their business name on it. This town is very Nazi-esque when it comes to this ****. Plainly put, nothing happens unless City Manager or Council signs off on it.

bradzuki said:
The city of Oak Ridge really can't do anything other than help promote and "roll out the red carpet" so to speak. Windrock is in the next town and we have no control over it. Oliver Springs has no hotels, only a few campgrounds, so most of the traffic stays here in our hotels and eats in our restaurants. We have nothing to do with the actual wheeling part of it.

Comfort Inn expressed interest in wanting to expand to include a wash station and storage. They also want to have tents set up for events to let locals showcase (such as my fab shop) but everything in OR has to have city approval. Businesses aren't even allowed to have signs except to have their business name on it. This town is very Nazi-esque when it comes to this ****. Plainly put, nothing happens unless City Manager or Council signs off on it.

Try Guntersville, AL on for size..... you can't paint your own downtown business (or home in the area) without approval