• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Explain generators to me please.

Don't linemen test the lines for voltage before they work on them? I'm just asking because down here after storms EVERYONE has generators going and few have transfer switches. It's a small community, the power company truck yard is 1 mile from my house. If linemen were dropping like flies during these storms we would hear about it and we don't.

We have test sticks, but you never know if a test stick works or it's not working. At the company I work for we tested this exact thing. We hooked a genarator up fed it through a transformer had right a 7200 on the line. Even with a dead fault on the line it took a while for the 50 amp breaker to flip. U do what u want man I just saying its worth the investment.

Another point it takes us longer to restore power, because now we have to worry about how every average joe hooked up his/her genarator.

I'll be really careful to cut the main switch but I'm not going to sit there in the hot dark with a perfectly good geni in the garage while all my neighbors are running theirs around me. Few if any use transfer switches. I appreciate the advice and respect what you do though.

Really I believe 99% of y'all know to disconnect the main. So just be careful is all I ask. Thanks guys