• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Feild Flashing Generator

olywa

Wondering if any one knows of a shop in the Olympia area that can or does re-energize generators.....or if someone on here has done it before and can walk me through the steps.......

Its an Onan Rv 4k gen yes on a motor home.....runs great just quit putting out electricity ......it has sat for a few years with out a load being applied to it (previous owner) but he did run the gen often with out a load so at least it runs good.... :redneck:

First off does it have brushes?

Normal RV Onans should have 4 so you have to make sure you flash the correct 2.

Find out witch two come from the bridge rectifier and apply a momentary 12V to those two, field has then been flashed.

Easy to do and yet easy to screw something up. If you are unsure and don't know what you are doing take it to a shop, money well spent to not screw up a $300-$500 armature or something worse.

well he said it quit putting out electricity.. So it could be something as easy as a bad breaker or gfci. If its not that old, it shouldn't be the brushes..

I know Cummins NW in Chehalis is the dealer/warranty center for Onan. Might be worth a call on Monday.

Thanks will cal on Monday... :awesomework: :cool:

Easy to do and yet easy to screw something up. If you are unsure and don't know what you are doing take it to a shop, money well spent to not screw up a $300-$500 armature or something worse.

Yes that would be my luck :redneck:

well he said it quit putting out electricity.. So it could be something as easy as a bad breaker or gfci. If its not that old, it shouldn't be the brushes..

I wish it was that easy... On the mh you just plug the shore power cord in to the gen plug....everything works when plugged into shore power so I assume the gen is not putting out power ...... The gen only has 160 hrs on it and did work, but again been sitting for 2-3 yrs with out any "work out" or heavy loads on it, just started and ran for a few hrs here and there......

Read much? He said it sat for a while and then had no power.

Umm, I did not say the brushes would be bad but you flash the field through the brushes. Also most Onan gen sets start by way of the generator through the brushes. So a quick conclusion would be the brushes are ok since he stated it started and ran.

Take it to a shop is the best bet.

I can do repairs but I don't live close. I also prefer to not do those kind of repairs anymore.

Im not saying your wrong, no need to get excited about..im trying to see what its doing and find a cheaper fix for it..if the problem is the invertor or load side i could probably help...

Just had the thought. If this is one of the green suitcase type models (you have not given the model) you will find a little panel on the front. Take the two bottom screws out, remove panel/ pull down to access the back and make sure to test that the fuse holders are good (fuse will look good but be bad). If both (IIRC) fuse holders are good try swapping in some new relays (standard automotive 30-40 amp will work) and give this a try. You should be seeing two relays. Further more if your unit is of the newer suitcase design and electric start (I know most are) A combination of the fuse problem and relay can case the battery to not flash the field (this is done all at startup). If your gen set is of the open style and not like a suitcase none of this info will apply.

If you could send me a pic of the unit I could walk you through these steps better as I am going off memory and it is hazy at times:redneck:

FYI, almost all standby gen sets that are of the electric start variety have an automatic built in field flashing design. This is also how some of these units do better power regulation.

Hope my dusty brain is not too late with some more usefull info.

I'll post up a pic and model # here this afternoon......It is in a 1984 Winnebago chieftain....factory option.....