• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welder/Generator tech?

unclestripey

I've got an old Lincoln Ranger 8 welder/generator mounted in the back of my tow rig. I don't know **** about it or it's history/pedigree. So I tried to get it up and running this weekend so I can use it to power a project I have that is way out in the woods. Got the engine running(Kohler twin) but the generator is not turning out enough juice to power a skill saw. I would imagine that the engine would increase it's RPM's as load is sensed by the generator, and it's not. There is a dial at the top that is supposed to be turned to "10" when using AC power, I'd imagine it's some sort of reostat thing, it seems to take a little load off the engine when I turn it down. There is also a auto idle/high idle toggle that doesn't seem to have much effect on anything. Anyone out there familiar with these machines or have any suggestions?:mad:

If the engine isn't running at high idle it won't generate ****. If the engine speed doesn't change when you switch the auto idle control there is something wrong in the governer control. Try holding the throttle wide open by hand and see if she makes power................

It totally makes power if I hold the throttle open, saw fires right up....got any suggestions about the idle control? Or a place to take it to?

I can too! It just looks like ****.......................:FU1:
Just trying to help a brotha out.

I don't need to buy a welder I can use a nice one anytime I want for free....