• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fire supression

MarcW

what kind of extinguisher's are you guys using? last snow season i lit my cherokee on fire and had to put it out with beer :sad: wasted some icehouse. i dont think i need a huge one. just something that will put out small engine bay fires. After i blew up the factory clutch fluid line, it lit on fire, and i didnt notice until i went to change gears, and sprayed fluid on the engine. :wtf: when i turned the jeep off, there was a glow underhood :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Standard KIDDE Fire Away rated for A,B, and C with a quick release mount. It'll do "oil, grease, gas, and electrical, plus wood, cloth, paper, rubber, & most plastic fires" :super:

A standard ABC Dry Chem will do fine.

Or, if you want to spend the money and dont like the characteristics of dry chem (gets everywhere) buy a CO2 extinguisher. It will extinguish an engine fire "cleanly".

Kidde 10-BC

10 is the size, (a 10 is a pretty big one for a vehicle), the "B" rating is for liguids and gases, the "C" rating is for electrical.

A standard extinguisher usually has an ABC rating, the "A" meaning paper and wood. The way it was explained to me, an ABC will not work as well on fuel/electrical as a BC will.

AUGDOG said:
A standard ABC Dry Chem will do fine.

Or, if you want to spend the money and dont like the characteristics of dry chem (gets everywhere) buy a CO2 extinguisher. It will extinguish an engine fire "cleanly".

were do you get CO2 ones?

halon

Dry chem will destroy just about all of your electrical connections. A good halon will cost more but worth every penny after you do have a fire. I used a dry chem on my engine compartment on an old camaro and it was totaled mostly due to to the dry chem. ext. being sprayed into the unfiltered throttle body. With halon there's no clean up, eccept what the fire causes.

Freeride said:
Kidde 10-BC

10 is the size, (a 10 is a pretty big one for a vehicle), the "B" rating is for liguids and gases, the "C" rating is for electrical.

A standard extinguisher usually has an ABC rating, the "A" meaning paper and wood. The way it was explained to me, an ABC will not work as well on fuel/electrical as a BC will.

Partly correct.

A is combustable materials. Anything that leaves an ash.

B is liquid fires.

C is electrical fires. But once power is disconnected, these become A fires.

You need an extinguisher that is ABC rated for maximum efficency. The problem with Co2 extinguishers, is they do not prevent reflash of the fire. So if the material is hot enough, after the Co2 dissapates, the fire will re start.

Dry Chem is better because it breaks down the reaction of the fire and doesn't allow it to reflash. It's like throwing a wet blanket on a fire.

Halon replaces the oxygen in a fire with halon, which doesn't burn. It's fairly bad for the environment.

Best fire extinguisher? An ABC. Bigger the better. The way I see it, the worst situation would be a human covered in fuel burning. (Screaming Alpha fire) get one that you can put that out with. Don't go out and get one of those little tiny auto parts store extinguishers. While they look cool, they only have about one second of agent in them. Not enough to do anything but cool your crotch after you spill hot coffee in it.

Give Evergreen Fire and Safety a call. You can get a good sized extinguisher for less than $30. Well worth it.

Sorry dude.

I called "ben's ever-ready fire extinuisher co." in Lynnwood (425)742-6110
I just told them what I was going to use for and they gave me their profesional opinion. his prices are reasonable. hope the beer coment was'nt to smart assy for ya. and hope this helps.

not at all, its worked once on my jeep, and twice on my old dodge, whats with me and lighten rigs on fire. one time in my dodge, i almost grabbed the 151 i had with me :wtf: :redneck:

GrandZJ said:
I called "ben's ever-ready fire extinuisher co." in Lynnwood (425)742-6110
I just told them what I was going to use for and they gave me their profesional opinion. his prices are reasonable. hope the beer coment was'nt to smart assy for ya. and hope this helps.

so i wanna here more on the C02 one's, does bens have them?

call and find out...

I bought halon because that's what he recomended, and they require less service. You would have to call him to be sure, but he is a full service fire saftey guy so he probably doe's.

cool, thanks for the number, thats next on the list, after a new optima, a cd player, and new starter wiring.:clappy: