• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Forced induction on propane?

5.7yjuggy

Forced induction on propane. Is it hard,easy anything special to make it work? I have a chance to pick up a vortech v1 supercharger and curious what I'll have to do to make it work well with propane on a SBC 355 with a cam (unknown specs)

I assume it would be a blow thru setup with the mixer in place of the carburetor. Or is the blower kit for a fuel injected 5.7 engine? It can be done and depending on how much boost you are planning to run will determine how much carburetion is needed. Propane works well with blowers and turbos.

Buddy Gamel
Precision Sales & Service, Inc.
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

i have a blow thru setup with a 450 mixer and a hybrid marine 425hp cummins holsett HE1E/Hx30. This is all on a stock 350 with a near stock cam, seems to have gained about 100 hwp at 6.5 lbs of boost but i have a seriour vavle train issue that seems to constantly be hampering really dailling it in.

i have some pics i'll post for you soon
next step is new heads or a different motor with the same setup slapped on top

propane will easily handle up to 12.5to1 static compression, which on a standard flat top 355 build (approx9.3to1) would be around 5 lbs, but I wouldn't be too hesitant to back of the timing and push more... Most worn out stock late 70s 350s are lucky to still be around 8to1, which COULD be closer to 10 lb friendly

Im running a turbo and propane on my 4.3 in my current buggy build. I have my set up pretty much done just have to go back and figure out the right port on the mixer i have to run my balance tube from to my converter. From what i've heard propane and forced induction works damn good. We'll see here in a couple months. :****: :driving:
ry%3D400

The port on the mixer for the balance tube is marked "bal" and is just under the flange where the air bonnet sits. Be sure to run the balance tube to your vacuum lockoff also if you are using one. The setup looks impressive.

Buddy Gamel
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

altfuel1991 said:
The port on the mixer for the balance tube is marked "bal" and is just under the flange where the air bonnet sits. Be sure to run the balance tube to your vacuum lockoff also if you are using one. The setup looks impressive.

Buddy Gamel
451 64th Place South
Birmingham, Ala. 35212

877-403-7827
205-591-2267, fax

Thank you for the informational and for the compliment on the setup. This is my first attempt for using propane and also the first time I've attempted a turbo setup. I just hope it works like I think it will.
[email protected]
[email protected]
www.alternatefuel.com
www.workhorseservice.com

Latest posts