• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford 6 litre help

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So my sister has my dads 05' ford f250 6 litre.

Yesterday she said it wouldn't start then it did. So this morning I get a panic call it won't start.

I head over there tonight and yup it won't fire. I checked for fuel/lift pump action at the filter and thats ok.

I have never poked into one of these and not real educated on them (unlike duraturd).

So my question is whats common failures on these?

Head gaskets, oil cooler, turbo, egr. Your problem is probably the injection control module or the wiring, also look for a high pressure oil leak.

You can unplug the ICP sensor and it will default to a set value. If that's the problem It will start. On an '05 it should be sticking out of the PS valve cover.

Does it try to fire, cough, smoke, nothing?

My dad took excellent care of the truck but was not able to really drive it the last 8 months and my sister has only had it a week.

It will only turn over and a couple times it felt like one injector fired off. But I didn't notice any smoke but my sister had mentioned it did smoke once a couple days as she pulled out of the driveway. I wish I would have grabbed my code reader before I left work.

Kinda tough to say but most of the common 6.ohhhhhhh issues will cause hard start or poor running. Some common failures for no start are a leaking stc fitting or blown dummy plug causing a major oil leak in the high pressure system. The best way to diagnose is the have a live data scanner for sure.

Crap and my snap on I think is only updated to 04' :mad:

But I hear ya and I guess its time to learn this product :mad:

I've got autoenginuity on my laptop that really helps diagnose our fleet of shitbox 6.0's. There are just too many things that can go wrong to guess anymore. Especially w/ the price of parts.

I would guess that the EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, and Turbo vanes are plugged up badly too if the ol' man didn't rod on it much.

I laugh when I'm on a PS Diesel site and guys always say "with a few mods it can be a great motor". Well w/o them it's a pos! Fact

I've got autoenginuity on my laptop that really helps diagnose our fleet of shitbox 6.0's. There are just too many things that can go wrong to guess anymore. Especially w/ the price of parts.

I would guess that the EGR Valve, EGR Cooler, and Turbo vanes are plugged up badly too if the ol' man didn't rod on it much.

I laugh when I'm on a PS Diesel site and guys always say "with a few mods it can be a great motor". Well w/o them it's a pos! Fact

Quoted for truth...
Oh, and I forgot I 've got access to AE as well (thru a buddy and former co-worker), says he never uses it....:cheer: if it helps ya at all Mike...

Another thing I just thought of is, on early 05 models they had a lot of harness issues. Especially around the FICM (module under the degas bottle). Check for chaffing where the harness runs along the top v/c bolts.

You can try to plug the block heater in for an hr or so too. The FICM is a major weak link also. On 1st start up sometimes the glowplugs will draw so much that the FICM voltage to the injectors will drop well below the 48v they like. If it's low enough it wont fire. Sometimes you can get it warm enough with the heater to fire anyway. You can monitor the FICM voltage with a scanner.

I had one that just had a bad connection at the FICM. Caused the truck not to start. Took me a while to figure it out since I was borrowing a friends AE and had no idea wtf I was looking at :rolleyes:. I wouldn't own a 6 leaker without that program on my laptop.