• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford Diesel (pre-powerstroke)

dventoza

I was searching over on craigslist and came across a 1994 ford f-350 crew cab with the international diesel motor.
How are these motors? Do they last as long as the powerstrokes? How are they power and reliability?
The truck has a turbo and has around 180,000 miles and a rebuilt auto.

Relaibility? The base motor is pretty stout; have seen many with well over 250K still going strong....
Power??? They are NOT a PSD, but do provide better power than a naturally aspirated 7.3L IDI.... can be turned up to a point, but reliability may become an issue (ie, head gaskets);

How are they for towing a wheeler and a camper around? Are they just dogs or can they hold there own? How are they compared to a 460 gasser?

You won't get there fast, but you'll get there.

My tow rig is a 1989 IDI diesel with a banks on it. It tows my Zuk well, and I'm probably going to put a fairly light camper on it. It has been used to tow a 24-foot enclosed trailer at about 10K down to Oregon, but it didn't set any speed records.

Towing the Zuk over the Snoqualime, I'm still doing 55 or so up the steep grades, I still have power, I just keep a close eye on the EGT.

Hard to tell in pics....looks nice enough, but not $6K nice enough (He's trying to recoupe the cost of the tranny...somewhat expected)...especially needing paint/body work...If you like the truck, go look at it...drive it....

I'm not lookin' fer a truck!:redneck:
Do a little research on what they seem to be going for, keep in mind these IDI turbo's were only offered for two model yrs ( 93-mid 94) maybe they think it's a rare option!:haha:---I have no idea what to tell ya there as far as an offer....just that I have seen them for less than what he's askin'! Again, I haven't seen the truck in person...I'm not gonna venture a guess!:awesomework: First advice---unless the diffs have been geared for the larger tires...I'd go with a smaller tire than whatever he's got on there now... That is if you end up with it...

oh ya definatly. I can feel the tire size kill my jeeps power i cant imagine it on a tow rig...pointless.

Forgot to add, check the front spring bushing and panard bushing very well. These truck can get a bad case of death wobble if the bushings aren't tight.

Forgot to add, check the front spring bushing and panard bushing very well. These truck can get a bad case of death wobble if the bushings aren't tight.
Yup....but the F350 is much less prone to death wobble than the TTB on the F250....the F350 tends to feel 'loose' moreso than get a deathwobble IME!:D

I found another truck on craigslist(1993, crew cab, f-350 4x4) and I emailed the owner and he said that it has about 260k miles on it and a stock turbo and flowmaster 4in exhaust adn its a manual trans.
Is 260k miles a lot? how long do these things last? Oh and they guy is asking $4500

Need more details...link to truck??? You're asking if it's worth it without any link to it...260K untouched?? How was it maintained? Tires new? Brakes? Body/ interior condition??? Clutch??? Injection Pump age??? Too many variables...If I had to guess, I'd say it's overpriced....but hey, it's only a guess! Could be a really nice truck...and maybe the motor was replaced at some point... There are decent deals out there, just gotta be patient...

Wow thats interisting, it still works for me.
Well anyway here is the ad without pictures
The seller emailed me and said it has
260k miles, a 4in. flowmax exhaust and the bench seats have seen better days.

93 Ford F350 4X4 - $4500 (Fredrickson)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-05-09, 8:06AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

93 Ford F350 4X4 Crew Cab Diesel. Body in good shape minus minor damage to rt side. Options are: AC; ABS; PS; Cruise Control; Trailer Brake; CB; Premium Wheels; Tinted Windows; Garret 43 Turbo; 4-10 Gear Ratio; Step Rear Bumper; Under Rail Bed Liner; Diamond Plate Bed Rail Caps and Tailgate Cover; Tie Loops on Bed Rails. Engine is smooth and strong. 5 speed manual transmission, clutch was replace 15,000 miles ago. Tires have less than 5,000 on them. Truck has worked great for pulling a 22ft Toy hauler for several years.

For more info, call Ed @ 253-576-7754