• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford Diesel Tranny Issues

The_Shocker

My buddy with a 99 Ford Diesel was having tranny issues so he pulled his tranny and took it to Lee Myles on Bthl-Evt hwy. They rebuilt the tranny and he brought it home last night and put it in. This morning he test drove it and it wouldn't shift out of 1st unless he moved the lever from D to 2. He drove the whole truck back to the shop and after a few hours they told him the computer wasn't getting a signal to/from the tranny. They used their tester and could make it shift through the gears with the tester plugged into the tranny. They told him it had to be a wire messed up somewhere. So he brings it home and after checking all the wires himself and finding nothing, he was now told by another friend that he needed the Dealer to reprogram something for it to get signal.

Anyone know if any of this is true?
Is the Dealer the only answer for programming it?
Shouldn't Lee Myles have known this?

I'm not sure. I will ask him. If it works then does that mean the tranny is communicating and it might still be something else?

It turns out that the computer in his truck was from a different year and I guess they needed to know that to program it. They also told him it had a chip in it and that might be the issue. :rolleyes: It shifts now, and he put the chip back in last night since it wasn't the issue.