• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ford "High Boy" specs

nappy_TJ

I know that the front of these come with a Dana 44 but is the rear a Dana 70? Anyone have any info on these. I can get the axles for free and want to know if it is worth it or not? They would be going on a ZJ way later on down the line.........

Oh yeah I think it is a 72-73

Only made pre 1977.5
Only 3/4T
Only leaf springs front.
Only D60's TTBOMK rear.
D44 front standard.
D60 front option.
Even the 1Ton had D60 Rear as std. in this era, in the 4x4's.
Anything could be ordered...

'72-'73, don't bother. Closed knuckle drum brake crappy turning radius front axle. The rear axle is probably usable though.

If you don't get the axles lemme know. I'd love to have em for the Bronco I'm picking up.

I looked into doing the same thing you are with my old cherokee.. But most told me they weren't worth it for that application.

Thanks this good to know I did not want to go hacking into something and then find out I can use the front axle.:awesomework: I might be wrong on the year too so I will have to find out for sure. Any year that might work?

I seem to remember the spring width for the front??? was different for the high boy.

The rear should be cool... like said earlier, the front is probably a closed knuckle drum brake unit. I had a 75 F250 w/ a closed knuckle D44 front, and a 76 F250 w/ an open knuckle disc brake D44, so i would guess that the 75-76 is the cutoff line. Definetly find an open knuckle disc brake unit.

The rear should be cool... like said earlier, the front is probably a closed knuckle drum brake unit. I had a 75 F250 w/ a closed knuckle D44 front, and a 76 F250 w/ an open knuckle disc brake D44, so i would guess that the 75-76 is the cutoff line. Definetly find an open knuckle disc brake unit.

Thank you sir....so are you building the exploder yet?

'72-'73, don't bother. Closed knuckle drum brake crappy turning radius front axle. The rear axle is probably usable though.

Actually closed-K low pinion POS through the run at least in to 76 Maybe the 77 had open disks... Front axle you want for a Highboy 78-79... D44 or 60 depending on application... The rear 60 in the early years had the course spline forget where the break year on it is but my 75 has the 30-spl...

Actually closed-K low pinion POS through the run at least in to 76 Maybe the 77 had open disks... Front axle you want for a Highboy 78-79... D44 or 60 depending on application... The rear 60 in the early years had the course spline forget where the break year on it is but my 75 has the 30-spl...

Thank you

Not yet... I am currently daily driving it, and hoping to buy a new driver car in a month or so and then get started on the Exploder after that... maybe...

I feel you on that I have dd and I cant do much to the ZJ until I get it inspected on the 17th then after that I am going to town on it.

Several wrongs here.

Open knuckle disks started in 76 as stated earlier.

78-79 were Not Highboys.

Highboys didn't have 60 fronts.

Highboys were 77 and earlier. 77.5-79 not considered a Highboy.

Several wrongs here.

Open knuckle disks started in 76 as stated earlier.

78-79 were Not Highboys.

Highboys didn't have 60 fronts.

Highboys were 77 and earlier. 77.5-79 not considered a Highboy.

Yup you are correct.
I have seen 76's with factory closed Knuckle Drum breaks.
Yup the 76 was open knuckle some times.
I've also seen facory low pinion drum open knuckle in 1977.
Did the Highboy have a D60 front... I used to believe that they did not. However live and learn I have seen the build ticket on two trucks that list the D60 as special ordered. The D60 was also used in the 1/2T on the Snow Fighter package (factory Plow trucks).
You are right that the last production of the Highboy was 1977.5 I didn't say the 78-79 were highboys I said those were the years for the axles...

Please go back and READ my first post...:rolleyes: