• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

fuel cells

84mallcrawl

What works What doesn't? For example what shape works best/worst, Material the cell is made out of, and placement/ style of pick up that works/doesn't

I would suggest if using aluminum at least 1/8 also baffles help a lot keeps the welds from stress cracks due to gas sloshing around also good mounts help, stainless steel is another good choice you can use a lot thinner material and looks just as good

There is a nice "custom unit" for sale in the used parts.... ohhhh wait never mind.

Stay away from the cheap RCI tanks. They are not designed for off-road. However they have improved and made an "off road"cell.

I just got the RCI Rock Crawler cell that has a polyethylene bladder inside so I wouldn't have to worry about it leaking from cracked welds.

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I'm looking into one of the budget friendly, black plastic fuel cells. They any count? I feel like I'm constantly hearing about the aluminum tanks cracking and leaking.

What is it going in? Depending on application you may get some better info. Ex. rock bouncer - may need more of a custom cell b/c of tube work. Juggy - you may be able to get away with a more traditional off the shelf cell. tube chassis buggy - may not have to be custom. ETC. Also, space you have to work with.

Stock Toyota gas tank works good. Easy to mount and easy to adapt any in tank pump to the drop in sending unit

molaugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easleycrawler said:
I'm looking at getting a spun aluminum, cylinder type cell.

s-l225.jpg

Just put the Goatbuilt plastic cell in my jeep with the GM internal pump setup. Turned out great.

After I had already purchased it though I was poking around in the junkyard and looked at a late model GTO and they have a pretty nice factory tank / fuel cell in the trunk with internal pump setup.

I might would have gone with the GTO unit had I seen it first.

wizzo said:
What is it going in? Depending on application you may get some better info. Ex. rock bouncer - may need more of a custom cell b/c of tube work. Juggy - you may be able to get away with a more traditional off the shelf cell. tube chassis buggy - may not have to be custom. ETC. Also, space you have to work with.
My fault. 96 Cherokee. l
85c82eec03c00e051c324601d29ed6cf.png

Re:

Rci rock crawler works great, there aluminum cells are junk for rock crawling

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Man, I have been reading on this stuff almost non stop for thew last couple days. I am glad to see this the thread come up and hope to see some more great info.

If you can fit one, I like the steel can with plastic internal cell set up.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/500/555/555-15511_4.jpg

or JAZ makes one specific for a cherokee
http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/547/286-432-06/10002/-1

As mentioned, goat built has some pretty nice parts if you're building a custom cell.
http://goatbuilt.com/product-category/ibex/fuel-tank/

I also, used this post on pirate for different info. It's LS focused but still some universal info
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/924334-wide-open-design-fuel-system-advice.html

I'd rather run something like this. I like the Cherokee specific ones, but they hang so far down under the jeep that just become boat anchors. I'd rather just put one parallel to the back seat in the back..
abae37d44f30bb298c392b185ffb7394.png

I didn't mean to thread jack here. My bad.

I understand. I've just seen way too many of the generic aluminum cells crack and leak everywhere. And the back of a Cherokee is the last place I'd want leaky fuel cell. Really I don't like fuel leaking ANY WHERE! That's why a "bladder" set up is appealing to me. You mount the "shell" and the "bladder" or plastic cell inside isn't subject to the flex and twisting of a jeep tub or chassis.

I'd build one out of regular steel sheet before running an aluminum one like that.

Steel worked fine OEM cars and motor cycles for years.

building one is pretty dang cheap and easy, then you can put the fittings, bulkheads, filler etc where ever you want.

If you do use one of those aluminum ones, it needs a "nest" mount to fully support it. Then it's not so cheap and easy anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk