• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Fuel coming out of charcoal canister 22RE

PaulSac

I just had my 22RE rebuilt and got everything together. It starts fine but idles a little low and dies. I tried driving it but you have to give it alot of gas to clear it out or it dies. Then I noticed fuel dripping out the vent of the charcoal canister. I cracked the fuel cap and a ton of air rushed out. I dont know why the tank has so much pressure in it. I drove it down my driveway and back and the tank was pressurized a ton again. Any ideas?

Also this only happened yesterday when it was hot outside and I was driving it on and off the trailer since I took it to the muffler shop. When I would let it idle in my garage it still ran rough but there was no fuel leak. I drained the tank previously so I know there is 5 gallons in it.

I took my charcoal canister off as did my brother when it started leaking like that then wer just blocked off the lines didn't notice any difference with our without it so you could try that

Im thinking maybe my vent and return line to the fuel tank is swapped. It looks like the tank has been removed recently. I bought the truck in pieces and am trying to get it going again. I just cant find a diagram for the fuel pump holder. Guess I need to pull it out and see what line is what.

Generally the fuel return is the one closest to the supply line on top of the tank...vent line will be separate; also, the rubber lines attaching to them may be of a different composition...hope this helps. :beer:

Here is the top of the tank. I really dont want to pull it out since it looks like someone broke a bolt off in the tank already.

DSCF5362.jpg

Swap the lines out in the engine bay.
Return and vent are probly backwards.

Its a 86 4runner. I would think the middle one is the vent since the fuel pump would be right below it and there wouldnt be room for a line going down. If so then my lines are correct. They cant be swapped in the engine compartment because the one to the fuel rail has an extra hose around it to protect it from the intake heat.

Last edited:
Well I played around with the distributor to try to blind adjust the timing and the engine runs way better. I took the line from the tank off at the charcoal canister and it doesnt seem to have any gas coming out of it but I also have the gas cap cracked.

I just started driving the truck (havent worked on it in months) and this gas thing is still happening. I took the hose off the canister and let it hang down. It was pouring out after a 5 minute drive today and I opened the gas cap and release the pressure and it stopped. I plugged it back into the canister since I know now it isnt the canister and after another couple minutes of idling it started to drip again. The gas cap was still loose. Anyone have ideas? The tank is supposed to be pressurized correct?

Swap the lines out in the engine bay.
Return and vent are probly backwards.

You should listen to this guy. He is telling you how to correct the problem and you ignored him.

I did the same thing years ago after putting a rig back together and went to the store and noticed it pushing gas out of the bottom of the can and it was cuz the hoses were backwards.

You guys wont believe what was wrong......the lines were swapped! :D But not under hood where I was working and not at the top of the tank where I looked at first. Someone before me swapped them where they turn to hardline under the truck next to the gas tank. Thanks for everyones help.

Doesn't much matter where they're swapped, swapping them in the engine bay will have the same result.
Glad it's fixed.... that ****'s a truck fire waiting to happen.

Latest posts