• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas tow diggers

02Jimmy said:
6.0 with the 4L80 in a dually, cut the cats off stainless headers a super tune with about 25 deg timing and tune the tranny to match!!! I'm telling you it is night and day difference from a stocker. For less than a grand. I pull a 38 foot 5th wheel camper, also have 24 ft gooseneck with camper and rig it pulls GREAT. Its cool to spin the duallys for about 6 ft when it shifts into second also!

Derail on

I have the exact same Truck, color and all, can you post or pm me info? I'd be interested in doing the same.

Derail off

I just got an 01 2500 gmc crew cab 4x4 has the 8.1 with the Allison trans and it gets 15 around town haven't towed with it yet but it's strong

I started out towing with a 02 Yukon 4wd loaded with 5.3 and it sucked balls. World of difference when I went to the 06 2500HD with the 6.0 in it. I know the 6.0's ain't **** on a diesel, but in that case, it was a big upgrade over the 5.3. Of course, the newer 5.3's probably have more power and may tow better. But I like a 3/4 ton truck for stability and stopping power too. If I ever get another tow rig, I'll likely be looking for an 07+ body style 2500HD with the 6.0L.....or an pre-07 classic with the 8.1L if I could find one that's clean enough.

There's 2 Chevy 2500 with the 8.1 out here in Las Vegas. It's on Craigslist the other day. One is a crew cab and long bed and big lift 2002 for $6400. And there's an 01 cc short bed 2wd for $12,000. I don't think either ads have the miles. I searched for Duramax but they come up too.

I don't know how to link the url

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horrible pic, but it's all I've got. 08 1500 4x4. K&n intake, exhaust, Leveling kit and 33's. 16 empty. 12 towing my Xj on 33's with my cheapo heavy equipment tilt trailer. Love the truck but you definitely have to time hills right. I plan on a Diablo tuner in the near future.
775397363934dbf0497fb437a74bf30f.jpg

I had the Tundra 5.7 as well, and LOVED that damn truck for the sheer fact that it could tow 10K easily if need-be. I also did not have a brake controller and it never had issues stopping heavy loads. I could drop other half and 3/4-tons towing in convoys too. Sumbitch just had all kinds of ass in that 5.7

I long for the day that I can pick up me a 200-Series Land Cruiser cause it has the 5.7 in it as well...

Sumbish'll tow spaceships!

LandSpeeder said:
I had the Tundra 5.7 as well, and LOVED that damn truck for the sheer fact that it could tow 10K easily if need-be. I also did not have a brake controller and it never had issues stopping heavy loads. I could drop other half and 3/4-tons towing in convoys too. Sumbitch just had all kinds of ass in that 5.7

I long for the day that I can pick up me a 200-Series Land Cruiser cause it has the 5.7 in it as well...

Sumbish'll tow spaceships!

True story. Same for same my Tundra towed just as well as my LLY Duramax and 8.1 2500HD. Now it did get HALF the fuel economy of the Dmax, but it had plenty of balls.

poolman said:
Derail on

I have the exact same Truck, color and all, can you post or pm me info? I'd be interested in doing the same.

Derail off
Poolman Here are the parts and prices to wake up your truck.
Ebay: Speed engineering shorty headers part # 25-1016-1 $154.99 Direct bolt on!
Ebay: Spectre cold air intake Part # 9004 $156.99
Cut all three converter's off replace with straight pipe, no need to replace pipe past the last conv or factory muffler.
I have a local LS tuner who is INCREDIBLE, He redid all factory setting, timing, shift points, fuel curve, etc. cost $400
I promise you that the difference is UNBELIEVABLE! No more falling on its face at the shift, It really does spin the tires going into second. :****:
Only down side I have had so far is DO NOT USE the Header flange bolts without lock washers! (NOT SUPPLIED)
If you need more info or pics PM me and I will send you my number.
DERAIL OFF (again)

Neal3000 said:
Why did you sell your 7.3 Will?

Got bit by the truck bug and wanted something newer. It was in need of some love and I wasn't comfortable putting a lot of money into a 20 year old truck with 277k on it and a few typical rust holes in the bed. Plus I want to be cool and keep up with the folks of hardline with a new badass truck.

I pulled my jeep a while back with my old mans 14 Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 and was very impressed with how well it pulled. Going from my Duramax I thought it'd be weak but I was suprised - turns out 420hp / 460tq aint too shabby! booyang Mileage wasnt terrible either.

94xjsport94 said:
Got bit by the truck bug and wanted something newer. It was in need of some love and I wasn't comfortable putting a lot of money into a 20 year old truck with 277k on it and a few typical rust holes in the bed. Plus I want to be cool and keep up with the folks of hardline with a new badass truck.

Was in Newnan yesterday and saw some low mileage 7.3 F350 fleet trucks for sale on the bypass, not sure how much $ or miles though...

Used to get **** all of the time towing with my TBSS. Hell it was more powerful than any other gas truck out there. LS2 with some goodies, probably making 435-440 hp/tq. Semi float 14 bolt with 4:10s. Self leveling air bags in the rear. Minus the short wheelbase it towed incredible :****:
376469_919559164612_1931816701_n.jpg

I now tow with a '16 F-150 crew cab 4X4 with the 5.0L. It SUCKS compared to my previous 2007 GMC 2500 crew cab 4X4 Duramax. It's a company truck so mileage isn't an issue for me, though if it were my personal vehicle I'd be crying every time I went to wheel. Towing at 75MPH I'm near single digits on MPG. My biggest issue is the difference in "feel" between a 3/4 ton and a 1/2 ton. I don't know if it's the aluminum body or the car-like steering but compared to a 3/4 ton, towing with a 1/2 ton is almost a white knuckle experience. I hate it but it costs me nothing so I live with it.

For the price I'd say go with a gm 2500. It's no diesel, but I'm happy with my 6.0 with the 6L90. It does decent with 16 tight rolls out of my vermeer 605, most of the time use the 7.3 for hauling, but it's good to know this truck will help when need to use multiple haulers.

You like the 6l90? I thought I read it didn't have a direct drive 5th gear and felt like it searched for gears a lot

Re: Re: Gas tow diggers

94xjsport94 said:
You like the 6l90? I thought I read it didn't have a direct drive 5th gear and felt like it searched for gears a lot
I don't think searching for gears is necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not getting hot from shifting so much. There's a reason you see more and more gears in automatics these days. I feel like it's especially usefull when towing. An 18spd semi will leave a 10spd in the dust when loaded the same and do it more efficiently despite having to shift more. It's just keeping the motor at the point it makes the most power.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Gas tow diggers

onepieceatatime said:
I don't think searching for gears is necessarily a bad thing as long as it's not getting hot from shifting so much. There's a reason you see more and more gears in automatics these days. I feel like it's especially usefull when towing. An 18spd semi will leave a 10spd in the dust when loaded the same and do it more efficiently despite having to shift more. It's just keeping the motor at the point it makes the most power.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not really related, but I just went from a 2012 6-speed Hemi to a 2015 8-speed Hemi half ton work truck. The 8 speeds are fricking miserable. It's rowed through 6 gears by the time you get to 40mph, each gear limiting torque for the shift. The same engine feels like a 6-cylinder in the new truck whereas the 6-speed was damn peppy! It is nearly impossible to get good power out of this engine on demand now. I do get about 1.7mpg better with the 8-speed though.