• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gas tow diggers

94xjsport94 said:
You like the 6l90? I thought I read it didn't have a direct drive 5th gear and felt like it searched for gears a lot

With a normal load (trailer and single rig) on a long hill it'll drop to 5th, which as you stated is also an OD, it's kinda like any combo, you've gotta find the right speed to have rpm where it'll pull. Sometimes on long hills it will try to go back to 6th, or from 4th to 5th on other hills, but you can pull the shifter down one click to manual and make it hold the gear until you want it to shift. This combo really seems to have a good bit of torque which allows it to stay in 6th more. Also 1st is plenty low to get you rolling.

Mine has the L96 which is vvt and sometimes it'll rattle and hold 6th.

6.2l here it tows my setup very well. Plenty of power, 11 or so mpg doing 70-75 on a mostly flattish trip. I went to this truck from a 15 f250 6.7 and for the occasional towing I do it's perfect. The 6.7l is a beast though. With jeep and 24' gneck got 13 doing 80 like it was nothing.

65B139AA-0A9D-4B00-A540-5C1F1AE011BD_zpslqdmlzaz.jpg

We have a 08 Yukon Denali XL with the 6.2 and the 6 speed. We towed the Jeep to AOP this past weekend and she ran 70mph no problem!!

94xjsport94 said:
Anyone have a ford 6.2? The 6.4's scare me a little too much.

My buddy has the raptor motor in his ski boat. The flashemifyougotem seem to like it.

My 14 Silverado with the 5.3 pulls a million times better than the ole 2000 5.3 I had.

Fukkk. These new trucks are insane. After doing some math going from my DD Altima getting 30 mpg on my almost 50 mile daily drive to a truck with a hair over half that MPG and double the gas tank size doubling my gas consumption a month by about $150, add a truck payment way more than my $130 payment now, and assume insurance stays the same or close enough, I'm not interested in a $350+ a month increase on that ****. Back on the hunt for a 4 door OBS or 99+ 7.3 for a decent price. Not dropping cash on a 30k truck either. Oh well.

94xjsport94 said:
Fukkk. These new trucks are insane. After doing some math going from my DD Altima getting 30 mpg on my almost 50 mile daily drive to a truck with a hair over half that MPG and double the gas tank size doubling my gas consumption a month by about $150, add a truck payment way more than my $130 payment now, and assume insurance stays the same or close enough, I'm not interested in a $350+ a month increase on that ****. Back on the hunt for a 4 door OBS or 99+ 7.3 for a decent price. Not dropping cash on a 30k truck either. Oh well.

I have been looking for months for what I want. I have figured out a few things:
1. Check Craigslist daily.
2. OBS 7.3s are stupidly insane priced. I understand they are bulletproof but a 300K plus mileage 2wd dually ain't worth 10k, especially with busted fenders.
3. BBC Duallies and 'Burbs are just as high and rare.

I bounced back and forth about what to buy. I wanted the 3+3 square body on here but did not want a manual, then decided I would buy a van because they are cheaper but I don't really want a van, don't want a diesel or a project but have a tight budget. So I narrowed down to a Vortec 454 dually or suburban or a 6.0 Chevy dually Suburban or Avalanche........and there are NONE!!!! Finally found one and worked a deal out and don't have time to go pick it up. I will stop whining now.

muddinmetal said:

I didn't say they were in high demand, I said stupidly insaned price. I guess that's why they are still for sale. Its crazy to think but a 99 model truck is 16 maybe 17 years old in some cases. Derail whatever happened to The Viking? Any of you East Tn guys see him or know him?

I bet!! I'd have gave ya more than that for it... I want a 4 door, whatever I will buy will be 4 door and 4x4. Ideally a F350 4 door, 4x4, ZF5, SRW, and two tone red and white. I can dream...

I searched for about six months before i found my obs ford, finally found one on ebay in arizona, idi factory turbo, zf5 4x4, perfect shape 115k miles, think it was $8900 after shipping