• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gatlinburg/pigeon forge

drkelly said:
We went up there in late October of 2014 and drove that road. It is called the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. That was the highlight of the trip for me. Fall colors were peak, and no rain. We stopped at a few different places to hike off the road. I HIGHLY recommend it, especially during the fall.

Also highly recommend the Laurel Falls trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is a little less than 3 miles round trip. It is paved, which makes it very easy. My almost 4 yr old boy made it out and back. We were limited in what hiking we could do with him.

We also went to Ober Gatlinburg. My boy had a good time riding all of the little rides. There was a blue grass band playing at the top of the chair lift. It was cool to just sit there taking in the great fall colors/views while listening to the music.

We also hit Dollywood one day of course.

I told the wife I definitely want to go back.

http://www.smokiesadventure.com/smokymountains/explorations/roaring_fork_motor_nature_trail.htm

Roaring fork was closed when we there a few weeks ago but we still drove up and did the loop before roaring fork and saw a bear, that was the highlight of our trip

My wife, son, and I were just in Gatlinburg this past weekend. It'd been a while since we'd spent time there, but had driven through on several occasions since my family is from the Knoxville area. We ate at No Way Jose's...we love mexican and I'm always down for trying new margaritas...but this place left me disappointed. They don't have "real" salsa...more of a pico de gallo. I also ordered there Fiesta Margarita...sounded interesting, but it was brown...not green...and that just messes with my head. It was good...but not what I was expecting.

We also tried Bennett's BBQ for lunch one day...it was really good. The Old Mill in Pigeon Forge was probably my favorite meal of the entire trip. Huge portions...and delicious southern cooking...yummm.

We stopped in the Sugarlands Distillery to do their tasting...which is was great entertainment and the shine was good too. They mentioned that Tickle from the Moonshiners show would be there on Saturday at 1pm to release his Cinnamon shine. We didn't make it back to town from Pigeon Forge while he was there, but I did make sure to taste it...ended up buying 3 jars...2 cinnamon and 1 of their apple pie.

jp fan said:
as you are going up towards the dome there is a great lunch spot in a big curve on your right the creek flows right by the picnic tables it is a awesome spot

This is the Chimney's Picnic area. It's closed during the winter, but you can still pull off and park at the gate. My dad use to take me there when I was younger to jump the rocks in the stream so I made sure to take my 2 yr old for his first trip...great time! Like you said...beautiful location for a picnic or just hanging out for a while.

We are going in March and I can't wait. This thread has been very helpful and I look forward to doing some of the things mentioned in it. Looks like Dolly Wood is going to be closed but we plan to eat at the Old Mill, go to the Ripley's aquarium, carriage ride through Cades Cove and stop by a moonshine distillery to name a few. We rented a pretty decent cabin and I hope the pictures are actually what it looks like when we get there lol.

http://www.wyndhamvacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/tennessee/smoky-mountains/pigeon-forge/rental/house.html?ID=176&Avail=&Stay=&User=WVR198893&PromoCode

Try Huck Finn's while you're there. It's advertised as a catfish joint, but it's all kinds of southern cooking type dishes. Ask for Joey, tell him Mike D. sent you and he'll hook you up. He owns the joint.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys...Appreciate it! May try to catch Tickle on Saturday and sample some of that shine :drinkers:
Well we're heading out to the Lumberjack Feud and to pick up some snacks. Thanks again! :dblthumb:

johneddie said:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys...Appreciate it! May try to catch Tickle on Saturday and sample some of that shine :drinkers:
Well we're heading out to the Lumberjack Feud and to pick up some snacks. Thanks again! :dblthumb:

If y'all weren't going to the dinner and show, I would have liked to invited y'all to Knoxville for dinner and a hockey game! Go IceBears! :woot:

5BrothersFabrication said:
If y'all weren't going to the dinner and show, I would have liked to invited y'all to Knoxville for dinner and a hockey game! Go IceBears! :woot:
That would've been cool! Hell...come down and have a drink with me if ya get bored in next couple days. :drinkers: :****:

The shows in Pigeon Forge are alright for the most part. Guess it's different if you never grew up around anything similar to it. Still haven't found the fascination with the whole thing yet. Just my $.02.....maybe I'm missing something! :dunno:

Latest posts