• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gearing options for Ford / Jeep

Rock_Crusher

Hi, I'm looking for info on;

Gearing Match Options

I want to use a 1996+ ford explorer 8.8 rear end in my jeep along w/ the stock dana 30 in front. currently i have 3.07's for R&P gearing now, I'd like to run upto 35in tires... powered by the stock jeep inline 6cyl.

what gearing options do i have to match the F/R ends & choice of lockers?

=================

thanks for any answers ahead of time.

With 35's 4:56's will get you back to stock ratios. Then it all depends on what you want to do.

Both are great advise.
I would go with the 4.56's if it were me.

The lowest an 8.8 will go is 5.13 anyway

And I would either go ARB or Electric for lockers......

NotMatt said:
4.88's - That's as low as you can go in the D30. 4.88's and 35's will work pretty good.

anyone know what model exploder's came with from the factory?

i heard 410's? 4cyl jeeps also had 410's.... kinda high w/ 35's though, but i do have the 6cyl... and a transfercase w/ lower gearing might help?

Exploders came with 3.27-3.55-3.73-4.10 open and L/S. 3.73 L/S is the most common in this area. the 4.10 axles are almost exclusivly found in the 95-00 explorers. If you are goin to reagear and add a carrier style locker... don't worry about ratio and just get the cheapest one you can find.

My buddy has 5.13s in his 8.8 with an ected e-locker and it works real well. It was a little much gear with the 5 speed, and is perfect with the auto that's in there now. ( in a BII )

4.10 if you are running Renix (with some power mods) or 4.56/4.88 with HO. The Renix rig's cam is more for bottom end. In order to doa way with the EGR valve, Mopar retimed the cam 5 degrees or so retarded. (Cuts the NOx, which when too thick makes Knocks and pings) That pushed the power band into higher RPM too.
I run my Renix Comanche D35 3.73 gears (originally 3.07 geared) with 5 speed and 33" tires and mine is great for road driving (4:1 low range will cure the offroad) I tried 4.10s and power/speed went into the shitter for road driving. It could also be the curves for the computer are set for more bottom end in the 3.07 rigs as well.

Ill be running 4.56's in my YJ with 35s and a 4.0, but my axles are already built, otherwise I would go with 4.88's. I'm actually thinking about a 4:1 kit...

4.88's all the way. You very rarely find people who wish they'd gone lower (numerically)... people every day wish they'd gone higher :)

I've got a D30 /w 4.88's in it already and new ball joints if you're interested.

John