• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Generic ass tire question

nhl_bullitt

Southern IL/MO
I have a great deal locally in my face for a nice set of standard bias 42/14.50/17 tsl's. I currently have 39 Red labels. Thought about bumping up in height though. Never wheeled a TSL. I'm concerned it is taking a step backwards??? Is that the reality or can a classic tsl still impress (possibly even better if cut)?

My terrain is the same as all the south east hot spots.

Your going to have the Sticky ****ers going nuts over this. I personally have never ran stickies so I cannot say anything on that side, but I have always ran TSL's and I have no problem going up whatever my rig is capable of and some **** it shouldn't be. Kush would be a good source for this. He runs sticky treps and also has a set of TSL's.

pholmann said:
Your going to have the Sticky ****ers going nuts over this.

Haha. I know. For years while the red label was available (although not as easy as other tires), lots of people still chose to run the 42-44 TSLs. Just has me curious.

Beerj said:
Well this is easy, just get sticky tsl's. Problem solved... :woot:
That's the truth isn't it! That 43 is a big ol tire though. I don't have the ponies a lot of the boys have. Part of the reason a 39 is appealing too in my case.

Rokcrler said:
I'll be the first sticky ****er...
You'll regret it. Believe it.
This is the answer I'm looking for sir. I know you've been around the block and you can see first hand how lots of different tires react.

I've never ran reds but the I have ran 42 tsls, then went to 43 regular then 43 stickies. I'm willing to bet if you go from a sticky to a regular compound tires you'll be taking the regular back off.

nhl_bullitt said:
I have a great deal locally in my face for a nice set of standard bias 42/14.50/17 tsl's. I currently have 39 Red labels. Thought about bumping up in height though. Never wheeled a TSL. I'm concerned it is taking a step backwards??? Is that the reality or can a classic tsl still impress (possibly even better if cut)?

My terrain is the same as all the south east hot spots.

I switched to reds 6 or so months ago from years of running a TSL. There is NO comparison and you will regret it as said previously. That being said, if you can get a great deal, buy them and resell them and buy a spare red label or something else you need, with the profit you make.

X2 genius. Lol

I ran a 42 TSL for 4 years and was done with a 42 measuring 37". Stepped to a 42 red and there is no other tire

I'm just blown away you would ever consider a non sticky

Well thanks for the input fellas. I did not have a bunch of ride time with the red labels before I took my last buggy apart and I had only mounted the rear 2 at the time anyway. Seems like I should definitely stick with them.

Re:

Ya they are called cheater tires for a reason they make all the difference in the world I would never go back

LightBnDr said:
X2 genius. Lol

I ran a 42 TSL for 4 years and was done with a 42 measuring 37". Stepped to a 42 red and there is no other tire

I'm just blown away you would ever consider a non sticky

They make a 42" red? I didnt know that.

Someone said in another thread that the compound is different between a 37/39" and the larger 40"+ tires? Is this true? I want a set of reds or sticky treps so bad i can taste it, but i'm a broke :JRich:

jeeptj99 said:
They make a 42" red? I didnt know that.

Someone said in another thread that the compound is different between a 37/39" and the larger 40"+ tires? Is this true? I want a set of reds or sticky treps so bad i can taste it, but i'm a broke :JRich:

42 Reds suck.... Not the same compound and only available for a 20 inch rim

jeeptj99 said:
Are they harder compound like the blue labels or KM2?

They are supposed to be stickies but they do not work as well.... There are more posts on here with the words 42 reds suck than any other tire. They are just not the same. They are a good tire, but nothing compared to a 37 or 39 :****:

Really, no offroad tires really work well on a 20 inch rim anyways

muddinmetal said:
42 Reds suck.... Not the same compound and only available for a 20 inch rim
That's funny cuz I was walkin **** at GMP that was flippin rigs at redline with them go forth stickies.

I don't agree with that assessment. I know the 39" has a deeper lug brand new. I also know that a good broken in set of reds with half tread depth work better than a fresh set. I would love to know the real truth, the whole truth from cole

LightBnDr said:
That's funny cuz I was walkin **** at GMP that was flippin rigs at redline with them go forth stickies.

I don't agree with that assessment. I know the 39" has a deeper lug brand new. I also know that a good broken in set of reds with half tread depth work better than a fresh set. I would love to know the real truth, the whole truth from cole

Cole has said it at least 5 times on here that the 42s just don't work like the 39s... Good tire, but not the same

Cole said:
You don't want 42 Reds. I would run a 31" all terrain before I ran them. BFG has no plans on making the 42 for a 17" wheel.

Direct quote from the man who makes 'um :rolf:

I wonder what the reason is behind that?

I love em and I didn't pay out the butt for em. So I feel like that takes away the common pitbull rocker syndrome where I paid 750 a tire and if they work like a buttered ass crack, I'm gonna tell you I love em. Lol

I had a buddy ask me about them at hot springs and he mentioned the talk about them. I had never heard about the other thread until now. I remember saying to him, "I guess after this weekend you make the call on whether they suck ass or not" He runs a 43" sticky.

Maybe he'll chime in

I'm definitely not able to argue the bouncer point of view. I have never driven that way and dont own a rig that is capable of a bounty climb.

So is it the sidewall height? The extra cost involved to run a 20" plus a high price red? The cost difference isn't worth the equal performance?

LightBnDr said:
I wonder what the reason is behind that?

I love em and I didn't pay out the butt for em. So I feel like that takes away the common pitbull rocker syndrome where I paid 750 a tire and if they work like a buttered ass crack, I'm gonna tell you I love em. Lol

I had a buddy ask me about them at hot springs and he mentioned the talk about them. I had never heard about the other thread until now. I remember saying to him, "I guess after this weekend you make the call on whether they suck ass or not" He runs a 43" sticky.

Maybe he'll chime in

I'm definitely not able to argue the bouncer point of view. I have never driven that way and dont own a rig that is capable of a bounty climb.

So is it the sidewall height? The extra cost involved to run a 20" plus a high price red? The cost difference isn't worth the equal performance?

I have wondered many times why they don't seem to work as well. No one has ever ran a 39 red and swapped to a 42 and been happy. 39-17=24. 24/2 = 12 inches of sidewall all the way around a 39. 42-20=22. 22/2 = 11 inches of sidewall around a 42. I don't think that is it though, because the 37" red works great. I think it is just because it is on a 20inch wheel and made differently because of that... maybe more steel belts or a different bead??? IDK. Still a sticky though

Latest posts