• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Geothermal heating and cooling......

old coworker had it. said it would take 2 or 3 lifetimes to recoup the installation cost and pay dividends on his heating/cooling expenses. Only reason he did it was he is a damn dirty hippy. :****:

Price has to have come down or my aunt and uncle would have never done it when they built their retirement house. Heated garage floors, the whole deal. It's pimp as ****.

I sell HVAC equipment for a living and geothermal is not worth the money. Plain and simple. You can go with a high SEER system and get the same benefits for a hell of a lot cheaper and when you have to have it serviced anyone can work on it...that's not the case with geothermal.

When I bought my house it had a water furnace in it and I love it and any house I build after this one I will install one in it electric bill 80° in the winter expect when I'm home it's like 70° and then 70° in the summer about 75° when I'm gone in a 4500sft home and the old lady leaves lights on everywhere highest electric bill I've had is $170 and as far as finding someone to work on it that's what my Neighbor does for a living all I've done to it in 6yrs is service it such as washout filter and Neighbor comes down and cleans it and checks everything

Geo is great if you have some land so that you can put in a horizontal loop. A vertical loop (drilling) is costly, and if you have a leak it is impossible to fix. I have a 5 ton unit from Climate Master. Heat 67 - Cool 64 about 3000 sq ft ranch with high ceilings and my average electric bill is $160. The tax credit is 30%. If you have the means do it.

Just put it in my new house. 3600sqft 2 story and my bill runs around 170 a month. I drilled 2 wells, pull outta one and dump in the other. Gov't gives 30% rebate on total cost of everything. I love it!! To do all hvac work on new construction and wells with unit was under 14k, plus I get 30% of that back.

cicero said:
Just put it in my new house. 3600sqft 2 story and my bill runs around 170 a month. I drilled 2 wells, pull outta one and dump in the other. Gov't gives 30% rebate on total cost of everything. I love it!! To do all hvac work on new construction and wells with unit was under 14k, plus I get 30% of that back.

Is that a 30% tax credit that can be capitalized (meaning spread out over the years) or a one time tax credit?

^^ It is a 1 time tax credit. Put it in my new house last year. Cost 18.5k for total install including duct work etc. I got a tax credit for a little over $6000 so the total cost was just over 12k. Can't beat the final cost not to mention the energy savings for the rest of your life!

mitaker said:
^^ It is a 1 time tax credit. Put it in my new house last year. Cost 18.5k for total install including duct work etc. I got a tax credit for a little over $6000 so the total cost was just over 12k. Can't beat the final cost not to mention the energy savings for the rest of your life!

Good to know. I assumed it was a one year credit but figured it was quicker to ask here than it was to read through the Tax manuals sitting on my desk. :****: