• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Gilmer this past weekend

I

InDaShop

Nolen you get any pics?

I heard the about this crazy urban lengend yesterday. There was a $175k buggy there. That I'm pretty sure looked just like this one, and it made Dawoody look like an ant hill.
IMG_0953.jpg

I know Jims Sunray buggy was high dollar, but everytime I hear someone talking about it it keeps getting higher and higher. I love it. That thing needs a name like "Urban Legend".

Also heard that Tommy Kleis "Cruiser Tom" on here took 1st in some timed trial at the rock garden row thing.

Rhino hold up good?

And tell me about this climb thats like undoable unless your on a rope? Tommy was telling me it was Spider something or other. Said 2, 5 foot vert ledges that were staggered, any idea?

Thanks joel that exactly what I was looking for. And Paul, I was almost like you, locked int he shop with no beer, just putting in work.

Does Jim have the only set of those axles? Just curious because you never see any one else with a pair

Look on Pirate Landcruiser section under 'Trip to the Red Planet'

Great trip, thorough writup there.......

Rhino was a blast there. Perfect in fact.

Jim's rig was a first for Sunray and it was built on shop-time, not a quote or estimate. I think before rear-steer he was over 6 figures and then probably add another 30k for the rear steer last year.

$150,000 is not a stretch, but there is no buggy in the US with as much detail and special bling as this one.

There are 4 full sets of those axles out there......two Twisted Customs rigs with F/R steer and some guy from the NE that just bought a set.

They are cool, but like Camo's 60, they are last week. Give me a Spider 1550 over that axle all day.

drool WOW! I really do not care about cost since ALL of it is out of my budget and always will be, since I am 100% webwheeler. I am proving it this year traveling to 4-5 events to WATCH and help out friends competing. I respect it all and it all helps the sport. thumb.gif

Nolen pointing Chevy/Jeep guys to the PBB LC forum for trip pics. Priceless. Love that ****

It is a nice rig.....would much rather have it than any other 100k+ rig I have seen like a Suicide Sally type rig.

As for the Gilmer versus Gray Rock thoughts...

Both are Much easier when dry and the hard stuff is next to impossible wet, but DRY I give the nod to Gilmer for a few harder spots.

One has Grey dust and one has Red.

You can camp in the trees at Gilmer and there is a shower.

Both have their place.

As for the 'impossible' ledge on Scorpion Pass, did your buddy tell you that Jim crawed it and the Purple Cruiser made it?

Nolen you have to know Tommy thinks 35's are HUGE. And he believed that whatever ledge was impassable unless winched. I always ask well did it look like its been made before? And he was like I dont know. If its a trail, I'm sure its been done, if it hadn't there would be talk all over everywhere about it.
I've only been to Mars that one time, and had I known about this ledge, I would have gone and tried it. Dawoody wasn't a challenge, but I go denied on the entrance to "Old Town Trio" it was a bugmasher line, and I wasnt wanting to break on the beginning of the 1st trail or the 1st day. Still ended up covered in mud.

Hell I was greasing my CTMs this weekend, and couldn't believe all of the red dust that was still stuck in there. Its been washed and rode a few times since then.

If you come into the park you go about half way across the red parking lot type area, and hang a right. Somewhere in there is a drop to the bottom and the beginning of that trail.
The exit comes out right next to the Office on the entrance side.

The trail is a 3 maybe, stock vehicles could make this whole thing. The entrance though has had water running down it and the left side of the trail has a huge rut to a 45-50" wall of clay with water running down it. The right side rut is more like 20"s so you are way off camber and have to get a big throttle hit to get the frontup. Then once your up, you back to get a bump, and mash it. Hopefully you come to rest on top, and dont slide back down. I landed on top 3 times then slid back down. I finally took the bypass like everyone else.

Hard wet clay dunno

Wyatt, I was hoping you were going to talk about that awesome rig with a Tennessee T on the hood!!! Though it wasn't $175k USD... maybe $175k pesos... molaugh

Old Town Trio was a 3+ rated trail until it washed out... now it's usuallty closed (and might have been when you were there Wyatt) due to erosion and runoff onto neighboring property. The entrances (there are 3, hence the trio) are located just to the south of the exit of Sidewinder.

wngrog said:
Look on Pirate Landcruiser section under 'Trip to the Red Planet'

Great trip, thorough writup there.......

Rhino was a blast there. Perfect in fact.

Jim's rig was a first for Sunray and it was built on shop-time, not a quote or estimate. I think before rear-steer he was over 6 figures and then probably add another 30k for the rear steer last year.

$150,000 is not a stretch, but there is no buggy in the US with as much detail and special bling as this one.

There are 4 full sets of those axles out there......two Twisted Customs rigs with F/R steer and some guy from the NE that just bought a set.

They are cool, but like Camo's 60, they are last week. Give me a Spider 1550 over that axle all day.

what kind of axles are in that buggy?? and 30k for rear steer :eek:

They are custom 9" axles with 1610 Spicer joints and 46 spline stubs. Really, really huge overkill.

When Tom at Sunray built them, 32* of steering was the norm. He wanted to increase steering without loosing stregth. He ended up finding a Ujoint that is as strong at 45* as a stock 1480 joint is straight.

He then built the axle around the joints.

Inners are 4340 35 spline blanks. Detroit Lockers.

The axles alone run around 13K without steering. Add the steering and the custom return-to-center dealio....

Also remember, this rig had NO room in it when it was a front steer. The entire ass end had to be redesigned and the hydo system had to be re-done to work the brakes, pull-down ram, and both steering axles.

It was in the shop about 75 days.

Also, the welder at the time there was a ****ing Prima-dona and he worked 30 minutes and bitched 30 minutes so **** cost way more than it should........he is gone now. Jackass.

Anyway, that's the story on the 30k rear-steer.....