• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GM 1-wire alternator ?

--toyguy---

hey all i just got a 83 toy for a DD/trail rig build up (i will post pics later) anyways it has a charging system problem i already tried replacing the regulator with no luck. i figure i may as well upgrade. anyways i think i am going to pick up this alternator:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D811001&N=700+0&autoview=sku

i wanted to make sure that when they say that it is one wire capable, that they mean i can just hook the one wire up to positive and the internal regulator will take care of the rest for me! thanks alot!

Correct. Just hook one 10 gage wire to the batt and it's done. Not the best sytem in the world though, it doesn't charge well if at all during idle.

Binder said:
Not the best sytem in the world though, it doesn't charge well if at all during idle.
Eh? Mine doesn't kick on until I hit about 1500 RPM or so, and will shut off if the idle drops too low. But once it's kicked in, it seems like it charges like an other alt...?

True. The only time you would have trouble with it is idling for long periods of time and using lots of juice like rock lights and winching. I use one too, just have to know it's limitations.

yeah napa wants about the same amount of money for the 60 amp version. Binder: you only suggest using 10 AWG gauge? that is really small and can only carry about 50 amps even in stranded versions. i was thinking more like 6 or 8 gauge. 10 is a little to on the conservative side, once you start using your winch and rock lights you will be drawing alot af current and amps through that wire...

1-wire alternators mean that they only need the main +12v wire hooked into them to fully function.

I've had problems with 10si's going to sleep at idle speeds though. The 10 gauge wire would be insufficient to carry 60 amps. It will certainly do it, but not long before catching on fire is the problem. 8 gauge is good to 70 amps and 6 gauge is good for 100 amps. I recommend overbuilding by at least a 10-15% over your max anticipated amperage flow. Wires get corroded and strands break over time.

Binder said:
Correct. Just hook one 10 gage wire to the batt and it's done. Not the best sytem in the world though, it doesn't charge well if at all during idle.
no but you can upgrade it with the police unit with higher output and at lower speeds as well as idle

--toyguy--- said:
Binder: you only suggest using 10 AWG gauge? that is really small and can only carry about 50 amps even in stranded versions. i was thinking more like 6 or 8 gauge. 10 is a little to on the conservative side, once you start using your winch and rock lights you will be drawing alot af current and amps through that wire...

True to a point but it depends on the length of the wire in the circuit. Most often a alternator to battery wire is only like 2' or less. You are right though, if there's doubt up the wire size. Lots of calculators on line and many contradict each other. Most don't take length of wire into account.:D

http://rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm

If the one wire alt is more expensive where you are buying it its a waste of money.... Just grab a generin 12si alternator from your favorite parts house and hit a wrecking yard or go to napa and buy a vr148 pigtail and plug it in.

The only difference between a one wire and a standard 3 wire is you can see the wires on a standard one... look on a one wire, there is a plug where the voltage plug goes. You just hook the large red wire to the charge lug and the small white or brown wire to a key switched source and you will have charging at idle. If you leave the small white or brown wire unplugged it will self energize and charge at about 1500 rpm as stated.