• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

gm tilt column slop

reefermadnes

I know its typical for chevy tilt columns to get that slop at the tilt part.Wanting to know if its an easy fix like loose bolts or something.Or is it easier just to replace?

Very common for the 4 tilt bolts to loosen up. They are torx headed bolts and you have to tear the column to below the tilt assy...

The pivot pins also occassionally wear out, they are an easy replacement, but you do need the specialty tool to pull the old ones out. If this is your problem, you can borrow my tool, or buy one at any SnapOn or Mac truck.

Awesome info, how hard is the breakdown, ive replaced the turn signal return piece before but thats as far as I went.:awesomework:

You need a tilt pin removal tool--rest are typical tools. But give yourself 3 or so hours to do it and pay close attention to how the tilt assy is when you pull it--thats the tricky part.

The earlier columns are easier than the later ones with high beam on the turn signal... When you're ready to pull the tilt pin, make sure the tilt position is all the way up... It's spring loaded and this position makes it easier... Most people just use blue lock tight and reassemble if it's not completely wore out...

Dont know where my pin removal tool is but... it was basically a socket just big enough for the pin to fit in. That was topped by a bearing (like a skateboard wheel would have) then a screw fed through into the pin. Tighten till pin comes out, thats how I remember it anyways...