• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GMP - SFWDA Dixie Run - September 24-27, 2015

Re: Re: Re: GMP - SFWDA Dixie Run - September 24-27, 2015

redneckengineered said:
It's not that bad. I've done it quite a few times now at GMP for a ride I've been hosting since 2007. It's invite only for close friends to just get together and ride and party. We usually have 25 rigs and about 50+ people. I just email the park directly, get on the calendar, let them know my expected numbers, and I usually reserve one of the smaller pavilions because that covers everyone's primitive camping. Anything above/beyond that, I turn the park email over the the group and anyone can email the park directly for any other reservations they may want (bunkhouses, RV hookup, etc). It's always been a smooth easy process. Just let the park know your plans up front. They even make me feel like they appreciate the business and we're quite the rowdy bunch!

The highlighted part is the key. (I think we had a bit of miscommunication)

You aren't trying to make a "public ride" or promote the park in public forum.

And your "invite only" ride is just a ride with you and friends, BUT you aren't reserving the whole park for just your group, so anyone else that happens to show up that weekend can still ride. You aren't putting a name out there like "Dixie Run" that people can associate with your specific gathering and feel like they are invited to.

I've had no problems reserving a small pavilion, inviting people, etc.

Hell, I got married there and rented the big pavilion, some bunk houses, etc. No problem there.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have said anything, but I know others have had similar experiences when trying to host or promote a "named ride" at the park. Just like anything else, when you put a label or name on it, it all of sudden becomes a big deal.

I'm gonna keep riding the park, helping out, cutting trails, just like I always have (even before it was officially an offroad park).

I just wish GMP would promote itself more "like AOP" to help itself be more profitable and viable "besides Dixie Run".

Basically, Thanks for everyone that comes to Dixie Run, wish I could have made it. :dblthumb:

TBItoy said:
The highlighted part is the key. (I think we had a bit of miscommunication)

You aren't trying to make a "public ride" or promote the park in public forum.

And your "invite only" ride is just a ride with you and friends, BUT you aren't reserving the whole park for just your group, so anyone else that happens to show up that weekend can still ride. You aren't putting a name out there like "Dixie Run" that people can associate with your specific gathering and feel like they are invited to.

I've had no problems reserving a small pavilion, inviting people, etc.

Hell, I got married there and rented the big pavilion, some bunk houses, etc. No problem there.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have said anything, but I know others have had similar experiences when trying to host or promote a "named ride" at the park. Just like anything else, when you put a label or name on it, it all of sudden becomes a big deal.

I'm gonna keep riding the park, helping out, cutting trails, just like I always have (even before it was officially an offroad park).

I just wish GMP would promote itself more "like AOP" to help itself be more profitable and viable "besides Dixie Run".

Basically, Thanks for everyone that comes to Dixie Run, wish I could have made it. :dblthumb:

Gotcha, I see the difference. Yea, I avoid promoting any rides in a public forum. All it takes is a few ass clowns to ruin it for you. One of the reasons I keep my facebook around, I can organize a pretty decent ride using their event function in a matter of minutes and limit it to only the people I invite.

redneckengineered said:
Gotcha, I see the difference. Yea, I avoid promoting any rides in a public forum. All it takes is a few ass clowns to ruin it for you. One of the reasons I keep my facebook around, I can organize a pretty decent ride using their event function in a matter of minutes and limit it to only the people I invite.

I all but deleted my Facebook. Unfollowed literally everyone. Only follow shops and off-road centric media outlets. Never really thought about using it that way, I just got tired of seeing the feed of "stream of conscious" posts and continuous BS "updates" that it seemed everyone posts.

I'm glad me and my partner was privileged enough to get to ride with the WOD group. Had a blast Woodley if y'all come up with an invitation only you better send me one. I promise I will leave Trent at home next time.

kevinhumphrey said:
I'm glad me and my partner was privileged enough to get to ride with the WOD group. Had a blast Woodley if y'all come up with an invitation only you better send me one. I promise I will leave Trent at home next time.

Your Partner? Sounding a little :gay: here :rolf:

I would also like to see GMP promote itself better. You can go into Cookeville restaurants, gas stations, etc. and people have no idea about it. Which can be good and bad. I'm just thinking longevity, if they promoted themselves better in the right places.

Dixie Run works pretty well b/c as stated bolt on jeeps stick together and buggies stick together and typically aren't on the same trails. I can only think of one trail I bypassed b/c of traffic. I only rode for maybe 4 hours this year, but in years passed, the trend was the same.

As far as events that don't focus on "racing", the two that come to mind for me are Fall Crawl and Southern Shine Crawl both at Harlan

wizzo said:
I would also like to see GMP promote itself better. You can go into Cookeville restaurants, gas stations, etc. and people have no idea about it. Which can be good and bad. I'm just thinking longevity, if they promoted themselves better in the right places.

Dixie Run works pretty well b/c as stated bolt on jeeps stick together and buggies stick together and typically aren't on the same trails. I can only think of one trail I bypassed b/c of traffic. I only rode for maybe 4 hours this year, but in years passed, the trend was the same.

As far as events that don't focus on "racing", the two that come to mind for me are Fall Crawl and Southern Shine Crawl both at Harlan

Im with ya on this.. I LOVE GMP, its by far my favorite place to wheel, I just hope the place gets enough patrons to be profitable and stay open. Talking with Tony when we were up there in August he says the park makes most of its money on special events like weddings ect and Im sure events like Dixie Run are huge contributors as well.

Im not big on large events but I believe I'll make an effort to be at DR next year to support the park and meet new folks that are like minded.

wizzo said:

I heard Fall Crawl (i know it was a harlan event I heard about) is terrible in the sense of lines are too long waiting for trails. I'd be pissed if I drove more than a couple hours to a park and had to wait long periods of time just to wheel a little.

I typically stay away from large events because of this, but DR sounds like a blast. sparta is showing about 8 hours for me

IL sucks for wheelin!

halcat said:
Actually it's right behind copperhead, right off DW. I was with BJ when he lost his belt. Steve, Perry and I cut that trail a couple years ago and we were up at GMP a couple weeks age and we ran that trail than. Nasty trail. Has two big rocks to go through with a hard right turn and a bluff to the left. Copperhead is nasty also.

Did we run this trail backwards from intented?? We came up copperhead then turned right and jumped right into it. It exited us in the bottom of the other loop off trail 15.

Attachments

• IMG_4879-1.jpg
    IMG_4879-1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4880-1.jpg
    IMG_4880-1.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 98
1tfrot said:
I heard Fall Crawl (i know it was a harlan event I heard about) is terrible in the sense of lines are too long waiting for trails. I'd be pissed if I drove more than a couple hours to a park and had to wait long periods of time just to wheel a little.

I typically stay away from large events because of this, but DR sounds like a blast. sparta is showing about 8 hours for me

IL sucks for wheelin!

I've been to both Fall Crawl and Southern Shine and NEVER waited in a line. I've bypassed some spots b/c of traffic but never sat in line. Like any other park, the well known trails/ obstacles get heavy traffic but it's easy to ride other spots.

1tonyj said:
Did we run this trail backwards from intented?? We came up copperhead then turned right and jumped right into it. It exited us in the bottom of the other loop off trail 15.

We ran it Sunday. We always come from the bottom through the gate!

1tonyj said:

I ran it at night so I cant quite tell. When you get to the top of copperhead you do turn right and go down the loop. Then at the bottom there was a hard right loop that led us back up through the big rocks. If you turned left at the bottom then yeah you ran it backwards I guess.

Yeah I think we did it "backwards"....when we came through the squeeze rocks (1st pic) there was a hard right then left. I was too big to make the turn so I had to go straight over that ledge (2nd pic) to get back on the trail.

I was just curious. ..thxs

wizzo said:
I've been to both Fall Crawl and Southern Shine and NEVER waited in a line. I've bypassed some spots b/c of traffic but never sat in line. Like any other park, the well known trails/ obstacles get heavy traffic but it's easy to ride other spots.

Cool, good to know :dblthumb:

rockwell 1 said:
We always ran it the other way, next time we will try it your way now we know it is possible. thanks

Your welcome I think lol. We will run like was intended next time :dblthumb:

Steves' (Rockwell 1) nephew Aaron calls the trail "Satan". That is the only name I have heard it called. I vaguely remember spending quite a while getting a rig off of that trail with the transmission broken off at the bellhousing late one night a few months ago. ;D