• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Going to Harlan

Tallantcorey

Going to Harlan and was wanting to know any information I might need. Never been but looking forward to it......Any comments would be appreciated

Don't go alone, get a map, pay attention to where you are because it's big, I always stay on the Putney side, great people, and they have everything you need but gas, if your running propane they have it. :dblthumb:

Which side you staying on? Our group always stays on the Evarts side. Nice to run to town if you need something.

In the park or in town? If in town, be careful of adult beverage consumption and then driving back to camp. You are on city streets.

wizzo said:
In the park or in town? If in town, be careful of adult beverage consumption and then driving back to camp. You are on city streets.
X2. I've been stopped by leo's every time I left the park. :****:

Be sure to bring extra parts and tools to fix your rig if it breaks. Recovery from Lions Den/Mason Jar can become a nightmare. The park is huge.

Beerj said:
X2. I've been stopped by leo's every time I left the park. :****:

One more reason to stay on the Putney side, if your going to drink anything that's the only place to stay, even if your not drinking you have drinks, ice, welder, tools, ect that they provide. I can get to middle fork in 8,9 minutes. It kills me when people complain about the ride to middle fork playground, it's not like it's a blacktop road, some spots could be tough for a rig on 35s, I go there to ride so it doesn't matter to me. But I will say I hear more and more about DUIs on the other side.

x3 on staying in Putney. Super nice place and has about everything youll need plus the ride to middle fork is fun.

onepieceatatime said:
x3 on staying in Putney. Super nice place and has about everything youll need plus the ride to middle fork is fun.

People bitch about the drive to middle fork from Putney but, we like it to. It's wheeling... good stuff. When did people start thinking that unloading and going as fast as possible to an obstacle and loading back up was the fun part. Get out, ride, embrace and enjoy it. Don't be in such a hurry.

truckbroke said:
People bitch about the drive to middle fork from Putney but, we like it to. It's wheeling... good stuff. When did people start thinking that unloading and going as fast as possible to an obstacle and loading back up was the fun part. Get out, ride, embrace and enjoy it. Don't be in such a hurry.
My first trip up that mountain was with onepieceatatime and his group, i bet we hit 40-45 mph in places and i was white knuckled on that wheel, race to the top was fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

We've always stayed on evarts side. Just for convince of everything. I like to spend money in the town were staying in. There are tons of trails no matter where you stay and like others have said get a map. Even if your looking for the hard stuff the easy trails are enjoyable. Mason jar is one of my favorites, if it's been raining its more fun.

Next time I think I wanna try the Putney side. Just to see that side of the park.

Oh and if you plan to buy beer there( unless things have changed) stay on Putney side its closer to the beer store like 1.5 hrs closer. If you don't drink don't worry about this part. Lol

Putney for life for us. We used to stay exclusively in Evarts at Lupeys place, but after talks of roadblocks no more. Plus Putney even when camping has very nice shower houses, and all the stuff besides fuel you could need, and you just gotta walk over to the check in shack to get it.

I will agree the entrance from Putney can be tough on newbies, especially when wet (or ice, that makes it really interesting!).

The road blocks are mainly when large rides are going on and they are down on the road going into the park. There is a Constable at the larger rides checking park tags then to, but on a normal weekend I think your good to go booyang :dblthumb:

Tallantcorey said:
We are going to be up there from wed-sun and I will bring plenty of spare parts. Where is the road blocks? in town? on the trails?

We usually ride the white tail crawl, tailgate side of the park the first day, second day we hit lower rock garden, waterfall, middle rock garden, lower damnation, and all the trails we can stand in that area then last day we go over to mason jar and ride that side of the mountain. That kinda breaks it up so your not wasting a lot of time riding from one side of the place to the other. The lower rock garden (middle area) of the park has a pile of fun trails to hit. If you look at a map you`ll see how the trails I listed above are kinda all in the same areas. We break it up into 3 areas like that. If its wet it gets some kinda nasty. Most of the trails will turn into rock bouncing instead of crawling. Never any road block on the trails. Just in town if you stay over there and yes its more than likely on big rides or only if you draw attention to yourself. We`ve been going since 2008 and the above is just how we break it up. Everybody does it a little different though.

We have a small group going September 23-25, instead of when everyone on here is going. Plans just worked out that way. Probably camping in the campground on Putney side

Take all spare parts and tools you can with you comfortably, fuel up every morning before hitting the trails, watch out for snakes. Have a good time, Harlan is one of my favorite places to wheel.