• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Got a question for ford owners??

I pulled up a reliability report from identifix on this rig for some info.
"Occasional problems with this vehicle are failures of the Idle Air Control Valve, failure of the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR Sensor, failure of the Ignition Coils and Boots (4.6L and 5.4L engines only), failure of the Camshaft Position Sensor, and failure of the Spark Plugs breaking off during removal (4.6L only).

We are talking diesel here, but to add in the case of the broken plugs in this series, apparently Identifix doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground--the 5.4L and 6.8L v-10 are also huge problem childs for broken plugs....if they're running the 9/16" peanut plug (all depends on which engine vin the 5.4L and 6.8L are)...

I wasn't going to say anything about your first post. But after this one. It's pretty apparent that you're new to the diesel world.

I kinda chuckled at this one. About six years ago the first set of Mercedes made Volvo trucks my Dad's work got from Penske were auto's. Truck drivers no longer have to slam gears why should I. Towing in traffic and constantly pushing a clutch and shifting up and down would piss me off. I do however believe that everyone should learn how to drive on a stick. The pros and cons between sticks and autos has swung the other direction.

I kinda chuckled at this one. About six years ago the first set of Mercedes made Volvo trucks my Dad's work got from Penske were auto's. Truck drivers no longer have to slam gears why should I. Towing in traffic and constantly pushing a clutch and shifting up and down would piss me off. I do however believe that everyone should learn how to drive on a stick. The pros and cons between sticks and autos has swung the other direction.

As for the topic at hand. Why in the name of all that is holy would you buy a known pile of **** ON PURPOSE!? By the time you've got 10g's dumped into that pile of **** under the hood it'll be a good truck. Why would you do that to yourself?:mad:

Automatics have no place in the trucking world. Fleet companies are buying them up so they can toss drivers into them that don't have the brains to drive a stick. If you can't handle shifting get the **** out of the cab and go back to flipping burgers. Leave the driving to those that aren't completely retarded in the ways of the manual trans. Shifting on the Jake for the win! :redneck:

Last edited:
Diesels should not have electronics.

I have no use for the 7.3, 6.0 or duraturd. Expensive and hard to fix.

Find a nice used 12V for 5-6 grand.

Mine is a 98 4 door 12V 4x4 with a d70/60 combo thats clean and I paid 5grand for it.

Even Money Mark (worst mechanic in the world and bad with maintenance) kept that ol 12V running for how many road trips?

Watch it chop shop not all 7.3's are the same! My old idi just keeps on going. I'll never win a race to stroke my ego but by gawd I'll get there. :D

As for the topic at hand. Why in the name of all that is holy would you buy a known pile of **** ON PURPOSE!? By the time you've got 10g's dumped into that pile of **** under the hood it'll be a good truck. Why would you do that to yourself?:mad:

Automatics have no place in the trucking world. Fleet companies are buying them up so they can toss drivers into them that don't have the brains to drive a stick. If you can't handle shifting get the **** out of the cab and go back to flipping burgers. Leave the driving to those that aren't completely retarded in the ways of the manual trans. Shifting on the Jake for the win! :redneck:

Yep I agree with the sticks in the big trucks and my dad said the same thing. They simply cannot put enough butts in the seats to drive without doing that. That being said he just got his brand new truck and the sent all of those trucks back to Penske because they had to many problems with them. As far as your comment about a known piece of **** and dropping 10g's I will say you're full of **** and don't know enough about the motor. The '03 was indeed a pile of **** as are many 1st years of anything. I've got maybe 1g in parts into mine and I didn't do any of it because I had to it was for piece of mind. Deleting the EGR on the '05-'07 is really the only thing you need to do. Trust me I did my research before I bought the truck and in my opinion the dodge truck itself is a turd and the common rails had their own share of quirks. I wouldn't buy a dmax because I think real trucks have solid axles, I'm not buying a cadillac. Bottom line for me is know your own rig and be prepared to diagnose/repair them or be ready to pay. Flame away.:hi:

I screwed up my edit. I meant by the time you have it fixed there would be about 10g's invested in the truck. I for one have no use for electronics on light duty diesels. My dads '01 ctd has over 418k miles with no hard parts failure just a long list of electronic issues. Until the light duty market figures out how to duplicate the reliability of the heavy truck market I'll stick with my old reliable mechanical idi. :D

I screwed up my edit. I meant by the time you have it fixed there would be about 10g's invested in the truck. I for one have no use for electronics on light duty diesels. My dads '01 ctd has over 418k miles with no hard parts failure just a long list of electronic issues. Until the light duty market figures out how to duplicate the reliability of the heavy truck market I'll stick with my old reliable mechanical idi. :D

Unfortunately neither of the big 3 give two shits about dialing them in. They leave it up to us to figure this out and bone us all the way home. If I didn't want some pretty specific things in a truck I no doubt would have bought an older dodge or ford but I had to have all the fancy creature comforts for the wife.

Mine is a 98 4 door 12V 4x4 with a d70/60 combo thats clean and I paid 5grand for it.

Even Money Mark (worst mechanic in the world and bad with maintenance) kept that ol 12V running for how many road trips?

You have a point Choppy!!!!simple is better!!!!!!! and after they drop a EMP bomb on all of us the non electronic rigs will run!!!!:awesomework:

Should have bought a manual :fawkdancesmiley:

You mean the same guy who had to have his tow rig towed back from nachies :haha: