• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GR - SRRS Race - March 28, 2015

PB2 small throttle cable issue. I'm thinking the next rider so kinks are going to be worked out and will be running smooth!

ftoy516 said:
I thought it was a great show for sure however...there are somethings that went on at the event that are like a TIMEBOMB.

Mainly all of the drinking. Having people that are part of a dedicated "recovery crew" drinking during the event is just asking for problems. The nature of whats is taking place is dangerous enough for everyone involved, but to have the folks that are help do things like work on the "recovery crew" and drink while doing so is FOOLISH!

One of the guys that was working on the "recovery Crew" was so drunk that he came over and stared yelling at us because he "thought" he heard someone say something bad about R. Key when his rig rolled...FIRST of all I respect R.Key more than words can express and i think that He is a great roll model to others and is such an inspiration to show people that you can do anything that you enjoy regardless, and it just takes the will power to do what you LOVE. TO have someone even think the offroad community would disrespect him pissed me off, and i let the guy know it.

I know that these events have all manor of things going on that have to be considered, but in an effort to see everything get better i think some of this needs to be seriously taken in to consideration.

Drinking impairs your ability any way you want to look at it.
But at a dedicated event where you have lots of people coming that may have never been, people may want to bring there family to come and enjoy something new ect... i think event planners need to take a good look at what is really going on.

Mr. 516 (no clue who you are since it's not in your sig), I'm sure if any race organizers (SRRS or whoever) knew their recovery crew was drunk, then they'd pull the person's shirt... Shame on that person! And honestly, shame on everyone else who knew he was drunk and didn't bring it to the attention of the organizers. We're spectators, but also a community. We HAVE to take as much accountability as the next person. Yelling and having a good time is one thing. Belligerence and drunkenness is another.

You are going to have drunk and belligerent whether alcohol is allowed or not. People are going to find ways to bring it in. I don't think alcohol should be prohibited at the events. Of course for the recovery team and other workers, but the spectators are paying their money to be there and enjoy the show. Like I said, your going to have people that do not know how to conduct themselves sober or drunk. I personally know how to conduct myself when drinking and most I saw did as well. Some of the recovery crew was less than nice, but that's a whole different discussion that is not for right now.

LandSpeeder said:
Mr. 516 (no clue who you are since it's not in your sig), I'm sure if any race organizers (SRRS or whoever) knew their recovery crew was drunk, then they'd pull the person's shirt... Shame on that person! And honestly, shame on everyone else who knew he was drunk and didn't bring it to the attention of the organizers. We're spectators, but also a community. We HAVE to take as much accountability as the next person. Yelling and having a good time is one thing. Belligerence and drunkenness is another.

Truth. Set a Good Example at the events. Say something to someone if they are across the line in harms way. If they don't listen tell one of the course workers. We all have to pitch in to make sure the sport we all love continues to grow and thrive. I talked to a few people about Discovery Channel being there. I was pumped about them showcasing rock bouncing. Until I saw them lose focus on the race and focus on drunken spectators...... It seems they will continue to fuel the fire of us all being a bunch of drunk rednecks until we prove them wrong. :dblthumb:

I was introduced to the crew early and was told to ignore them unless they asked me questions and do not break any of the SRRS rules or be vulger. They zeroed me or the group I was with out 4 different times over friday and saturday. I promise I didn't act any different but I R a drunk redneck. :dunno:

The safety crew had me worried when they got to Randall's buggy with 1 fire extinguisher and seem to have trouble getting it to work. Luckily they wee able to get the one out of his rig working. IMO. Just seem like they would have had more extinguishers staged along the hill ready for action.

If we all think back a few years ago to Tellico, there were a lot of reasons that it was shut down, some were PREVENTABLE and some were just LEGAL words used to close property to the public....

As hard as it is for the wheeling community to have good places to go wheel, lets not screw that up.

With everyone and there brother thinking that "WE" just destroy things, trash the property we ride on, and ruin the environment, "WE ALL" can make a HUGE difference in how the public views what we like to to for fun. it starts with the small things "WE" can help shape the direction that the public views our sport....it can either be a GOOD one or a BAD one... now days with every one out there having a phone they have the ability to take a pic or video and immediately show the world what is going on, which can easily translate into someone seeing it and the next thing we know our favorite place to ride is on the chopping block.

I would really hate to see what few places we have to enjoy this hobby to start to get shut down for any reason, especially a reason that we have control over.

"WE" can show the public they are wrong about who we are, and hobby we love to do.

Yotanut said:
The safety crew had me worried when they got to Randall's buggy with 1 fire extinguisher and seem to have trouble getting it to work. Luckily they wee able to get the one out of his rig working. IMO. Just seem like they would have had more extinguishers staged along the hill ready for action.

X2

Thanks everyone for the feedback and we will continue to listen. We will always continue to make improvements on every aspect of our events and safety has always been number 1 since the first day.

I'll address a few things I caught in this thread.

We did setup boundaries with the blue tape on Thursday but when we got to Cable Hill there were about 200 people below the boundaries we marked off. We made some changes to help more spectators have a better view but safety is always more important than a good view. When we setup boundaries there is a lot of thought that goes into them. Spectator cooperation helps us a lot to keep the event flowing and people safe.

We also don't allow recovery to be drinking. If you see anything like this please make one of us aware so we can handle the issue. I've checked around and have not found where this was happening. Keep in mind that these guys volunteer their time and some work very hard for 3-4 days to help us make these events go smooth for everyone and clean up the mess left behind by some that just throw all their trash on the hill side.

There were also 7-8 fire extinguishers on the hill we had access to if needed. We take fire safety very serious which is why we ask for 2 on each buggy just in case. It's also the reason we require fire suits for these guys. Safety has come a long way since the early days of rock bouncing and we will continue to expand it.

Thanks to the fans, drivers, and recovery for making SRRS GrayRock an epic event. We were told that the attendance was around double the record number. These drivers continue to push the envelope with every event. Hope to see you at the next one at King Knob.

Drunk recovery was by the black yj, admit it or not doesnt matter to me. My complaint was more we got there 2hrs early and we were completely behind the blue tape and made sure all of us were. Then we got moved 3times for the black yj that wasnt safe at all for spectators to be by it while winching with a steel cable with a towell wrapped aroundt, talk about making me feel safe that towell was jam up safety equipment for the largest rock bouncing organization out there. Then there was a lot of people in the event and not in the event coming right in but were "friends" which was even more dangerous.b/c they had no where to go and were sitting down. They turned and ran right into the crowd of us.
Al1ton got it right. Rope off a drivers/families spot before the event no matter if you plan for 1 spectator or 5000 have it set up and think about recovery before 5minutes till race time and have more recovery even if you gotta pay them.
SRRS better think long and hard and Plan for safety b/c this sport isnt long to having a major accident like monster trucks did driving into the crowds or nascar flipping into the stands both of which killed people. 2 buggies were a few feet away from hitting people. One stuck throttle and its all down hill which i dont want for anyone including SRRS.

I'm in the rigging business, watching some of the rigging go on made me sick! People standing below, above and around lines, not to mention d-rings being side loaded... I've been around a few rigging failures, none have had fatalities but really wakes you up.

I'd be more than happy to donate some time and some knowledge to rigging and recovery. Someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed. The cycles to failure, and the fatal triangle are getting closer and closer.

Southern Rock Racing said:
Thanks everyone for the feedback and we will continue to listen. We will always continue to make improvements on every aspect of our events and safety has always been number 1 since the first day.

I'll address a few things I caught in this thread.

We did setup boundaries with the blue tape on Thursday but when we got to Cable Hill there were about 200 people below the boundaries we marked off. We made some changes to help more spectators have a better view but safety is always more important than a good view. When we setup boundaries there is a lot of thought that goes into them. Spectator cooperation helps us a lot to keep the event flowing and people safe.

We also don't allow recovery to be drinking. If you see anything like this please make one of us aware so we can handle the issue. I've checked around and have not found where this was happening. Keep in mind that these guys volunteer their time and some work very hard for 3-4 days to help us make these events go smooth for everyone and clean up the mess left behind by some that just throw all their trash on the hill side.

There were also 7-8 fire extinguishers on the hill we had access to if needed. We take fire safety very serious which is why we ask for 2 on each buggy just in case. It's also the reason we require fire suits for these guys. Safety has come a long way since the early days of rock bouncing and we will continue to expand it.

Thanks to the fans, drivers, and recovery for making SRRS GrayRock an epic event. We were told that the attendance was around double the record number. These drivers continue to push the envelope with every event. Hope to see you at the next one at King Knob.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, without those recovery guys busting their asses (literally, I saw one go down on cable hill trying to help Randall) we as the drivers could not punish ourselves and equipment to the limits we do without knowing they are going to do whatever it takes to get us out of our rigs safely in the event of a crash. With that said, we would not be doing what we love to do without the fans cheering us on. You guys are great and hope we never disappoint you guys because of driving half heartedly. I love what I do even without getting the opportunity to be on the podium next to the best drivers and friends I have made. Hopefully I can change that someday. To me, meeting you fans is what makes me continue to do this so please do not ever hesitate to stop and talk to me because I am just as interested in meeting you.
To the SRRS staff, thank you for this great opportunity you allow me to have in this sport and all you do for this sport. Your total commitment to this sport is first class. I will continue to push myself and my equipment to the day I just can't do it any more. I'll never grow old doing what I love... Thank you all.

Big Block tube buggy said:
i thought you gave up way to early still had one wheel pulling ???

Hah SHEEIITTT. I let off. I was ready to break that one too. :****:

Great to see you still.

I could not see for sure from where I was. Did the Black YJ recovery vehicle use a strap to anchor itself to a tree or was it just trusting the e brake or transmission to hold it on the hill?
That is something to think about going forward.
Rope off areas for recovery in red tape, makes is very obvious not to be in those areas.
Big heavy rig to drag rigs DOWN the hills when safe.

RustyC said:
I could not see for sure from where I was. Did the Black YJ recovery vehicle use a strap to anchor itself to a tree or was it just trusting the e brake or transmission to hold it on the hill?
That is something to think about going forward.
Rope off areas for recovery in red tape, makes is very obvious not to be in those areas.
Big heavy rig to drag rigs DOWN the hills when safe.
Haha you liked the Big girl didn't you? Nearly 3 tons of fun! Just hookem up and haulem out! :cougar: