• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

GrayRock Closing!

How much is it typiclly to rent the park?Anyone have any idea. I will pay to rent the park on a particular weekend and as long as we get some interest and some definates that will make it a reasonable price for everyone if we split it.It sounds like its just a technicality and we can organize a ride and give the money to who ever fronted it,when we all get there.There is nowhere good to wheel in Florida,and grayrock is one of the closest ones for us.

Thanks...Im not sure how many people would be down for a $75.00 fee each or more....But I can understand because it isnt free to own and operate the park..I hope other people wanna go still.. ???

JohnG said:
Last I heard. $850 minimum, plus $75 each over 10.

That's only $100 each for 34 people. I usually ride GR twice a year and ride up from Pensacola. I wouldn't even notice an extra $50 a ride as much as this hobby cost me. If a mod or someone could coordinate a couple rides per year on HL, I cant imagine less than 35 people showing up.

I asked Tony about this at fall for all last year. He told me 75 per rig with a minimum of 10 but that could have changed since then. Does anyone know if this is for a day or the whole weekend?

I have never been to Gray Rock. But, It looks like I 'll be making it in October. Hate to hear this about the park.

My old eb club rents it every spring for a private. I'm pretty sure the 850$ only gets you ten vehicles for the weekend and then it's 75 per for the weekend. The weekend being a 3 dayer or if you are really connected with Tony, 3.5 days as some of our group usually goes up after lunch on thursdays. Been a great place to ride through the years, but has certainly cost me lots of money during that time!

Brian

The-Boss said:
That's only $100 each for 34 people. I usually ride GR twice a year and ride up from Pensacola. I wouldn't even notice an extra $50 a ride as much as this hobby cost me. If a mod or someone could coordinate a couple rides per year on HL, I cant imagine less than 35 people showing up.

You misunderstood. It is $75 per person with a $100 park fee with a 10 person minimum, or $850 ($100 + $75 x 10), then $75 per additional person above 10.

Re: Re: Re: GrayRock Closing!

BMan said:
Hey John has Tony talked to Blue Ribbon Coalition by chance? Last time I talked with the president there he claimed he could get parks cheaper insurance. I can get the contact information if he needs it.

Probably not for a "rock bouncing" park. Which is a largely un regulated spectacle.

Now I myself believe in personal responsibility, and think that the idea of a landowner of a NATURAL TERRAIN OBSTACLE park has to have insurance because people choose to drive THEIR OWN vehicles on that property is ridiculous. It's not like a damn man made amusement park...

But yeah, those insurance under writers don't just get paid to push paper across a desk, they actually do RESEARCH on what they are insuring. Profit is the name of the game, insurance is a business. And any business venture with high risk has got to show dividends.

JohnG said:
You misunderstood. It is $75 per person with a $100 park fee with a 10 person minimum, or $850 ($100 + $75 x 10), then $75 per additional person above 10.

Even better.

As for the private party legal requirements, is it possible to just plan a ride on the Forum like a normal event and have people sign up or something similar. Maybe make two Hardline Forum events and call it private to satisfy the legal. Just looking for ways to make some big rides still happen. When I make the haul up I like to ride and watch. Seem to meet some good people everytime too.

I would defiantly be in on private rides. And with the whole ideal of signing up for the rides will make it even better for the ones that wants to attend because the ones that show up wont be left holding the fee for the ones who couldn't make it. What would be really awesome is if Tony could have the FALL For All and let gray rock close on the note of a Toys For Tots ride, Then make closing the park official after the first of the year. We always have a blast on those last two rides of the year. The weather is cool and theres always a great turn out. Even if there couldn't be September Slam ride we still could have the Fall For All and the Toys For Tots rides in October and December. Either way Gray Rock has been one of the south's pioneers for our sport. in turn its truly a great place to wheel and have fun no matter if its rain or shine Gray Rock will always be remembered. As for the insurance companys raiseing the prices, I think they do it because they can. its more money in there pockets. and with the economy the way its going, haveing fun out doors was the only thing that you really didnt have to brake the bank over, but with every good thing theres allways something dumb trying to change it. maybe the outcome will be better than we think. :fish:

The-Boss said:
Even better.

As for the private party legal requirements, is it possible to just plan a ride on the Forum like a normal event and have people sign up or something similar. Maybe make two Hardline Forum events and call it private to satisfy the legal. Just looking for ways to make some big rides still happen. When I make the haul up I like to ride and watch. Seem to meet some good people everytime too.

I like the sound of that. Never got to ride there and would still like to some time in the future. Hell, if you can get somebody that everyone trusts they could set up a paypal account that way if people say they are going, paypal your cash, that way nobody gets stuck with the bill.

gray tj said:
Thanks...Im not sure how many people would be down for a $75.00 fee each or more....But I can understand because it isnt free to own and operate the park..I hope other people wanna go still.. ???

It blows my mind how people (not necessarily you) can dump $10-$20-$30-$40,000 into a trail rig, double that again for the tow rig to get it there, then complain about $75 for 3 days worth of riding.

I have never been to GR for a "public" ride, only private ones... And IMHO the private rides look way more enjoyable.

I agree thats why I answered it the way i did,so people that read it,might think about what I said about operating costs before the CHEAP SKATES said "WTF $75.00 FEE THAT'S BULLSHIT".

Land Yacht said:
I would defiantly be in on private rides. And with the whole ideal of signing up for the rides will make it even better for the ones that wants to attend because the ones that show up wont be left holding the fee for the ones who couldn't make it. What would be really awesome is if Tony could have the FALL For All and let gray rock close on the note of a Toys For Tots ride, Then make closing the park official after the first of the year. We always have a blast on those last two rides of the year. The weather is cool and theres always a great turn out. Even if there couldn't be September Slam ride we still could have the Fall For All and the Toys For Tots rides in October and December. Either way Gray Rock has been one of the south's pioneers for our sport. in turn its truly a great place to wheel and have fun no matter if its rain or shine Gray Rock will always be remembered. As for the insurance companys raiseing the prices, I think they do it because they can. its more money in there pockets. and with the economy the way its going, haveing fun out doors was the only thing that you really didnt have to brake the bank over, but with every good thing theres allways something dumb trying to change it. maybe the outcome will be better than we think. :fish:

Tony did not say there would not be a September ride. Only that the Fall For All was the last public ride. That is at the end of the current policy, so a December toy ride would not happen, as I understand it. However, I can talk to him about a toy ride prior to the Fall For All if there would be enough interest.

I will see Tony this weekend at the concert at GrayRock. I will print out this thread fro him to read.

As to the insurance company raising prices, I see a percieved higher risk now than there was a few years ago. Today, insurance companies know more about what they are insuring due to the internet. Just Google your favorite park name and see what comes up!!

Re: Re: Re: GrayRock Closing!

JohnG said:
As to the insurance company raising prices, I see a percieved higher risk now than there was a few years ago. Today, insurance companies know more about what they are insuring due to the internet. Just Google your favorite park name and see what comes up!!

EXACTLY. Google "grayrock orv" and this is the first video it pops up.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dau-U_REPDH8&v=au-U_REPDH8&gl=US

Caption: Tim flips on bents and dents, lookout crowd he's pissed!!!

??? Do people think Wheelers are the only ones who look at the internet.

I mean its pretty ****ing obvious why insurance rates are going through the roof.

Our automotive hobby is unique in that we can build and operate as crazy as a machine that we want, unregulated, on private land, away from law enforcement, around a group of people with no safety regulations. Granted, these people are fellow Wheelers and participants in the "event". But the general public doesn't understand.

Hell, my own family (aunts/uncles/cousins) doesn't grasp the concept of recreational rock crawling, they ALWAYS thought that my shitty old rock crawlers were some sort of competition vehicle. Even when I tried to explain, they'd reply with "OH, so you just go race your friends and see who can climb the biggest rock, kinda like STREET RACING"...

And I wouldn't consider them to be any dumber than the normal population.

Now that I race ECORS, they kinda understand that, but they still think that we race on "tracks" like with grandstands and ****. Like a motocross race or dirt track roundy round...

I had thought about the paypal account prepay deal too, but where that would pose a problem would be guests riding along. Maybe paypal in the entry fee for 1 rig and driver and consider yourself registered, and then anyone brought along riding as a "guest" pay a lower cash fee at the gate? Gatekeepers having a list of who prepaid via paypal and you must bring your printed out paypal receipt and be checked off the list for gate entry? Sounds good to me. :drinkers: