Group Organization, 16th Reiter Trail Tracking

• I like it.

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • I do what I want!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Money Mark

The DNR might come up with some kind of organization or presentation for the Concept 4x4 Trail Corridor, for the May 16th Reiter Work Party/Trail Marking

a. I believe we all agree that there are 3-4 different types of difficulty, a trail rating.

b. There are hours of mapping and information available to the DNR (nowires) that there are 6-7 miles of possible 4x4 Trail Corridor in Sections 1 & 2.

My idea:

Segregate:redneck:the groups that wish to view these trail corridor sections, based on proposed trail rating use. A group leader, with loaded GPS tracks in hand, will take the folks interested in viewing the "designated" Easy trail corridors and will walk it.

A group leader will take the folks interested in viewing the "designated" Moderate trail corridors and will walk it.

A group leader will take the folks interested in viewing the "designated" Hard/Expert trail corridors and will walk it.

Note: "designated" means nothing more than a suggestion. Ok?:hi:

The volunteer work will be marking these 4x4 trail corridors with colored ribbons, on trees. There will be a larger group (leaders with GPS) that will clear this corridor of un-needed brush. There's a lot to do! and when we're done (I bet we could do it in 1 day) the actual and technical trail design (twists and turns, obstacle placement, etc) can begin. And after that, ready for submission of permits.......Or something like that.:redneck:

The alternative is run around in the woods aimlessly, yelling "this would be cool" and "hey, look at this". :rolleyes: Waste of time if you don't know what you doing........trust me, I know.:;

I made this a poll.:corn:

PS. I have no interest in viewing the Hard/Expert corridors. I'll be GPSing and clearing the Moderate corridor.........the larger and longer of the 3.

Last edited:
There will be a larger group (leaders with GPS) that will clear this corridor of un-needed brush. There's a lot to do! and when we're done (I bet we could do it in 1 day) the actual and technical trail design (twists and turns, obstacle placement, etc) can begin..

Sounds like a good Idea Mark. I was wondering if there was going to be any organization to this filed day.....The quoted section above is the only part I don't understand. Why are they clearing brush before the trail is planned/ approved? Is this brush clearing going to be acceptable to the powers that be?....Keep in mind that David got his balls busted last week by some greenie for transplanting ferns without consulting a botonist.:rolleyes:

Sounds like a good Idea Mark. I was wondering if there was going to be any organization to this filed day.....The quoted section above is the only part I don't understand. Why are they clearing brush before the trail is planned/ approved? Is this brush clearing going to be acceptable to the powers that be?....Keep in mind that David got his balls busted last week by some greenie for transplanting ferns without consulting a botonist.:rolleyes:

I heard about that complaint too.:rolleyes:Some people's children.....

The idea is: 1. these areas are already designated for future 4x4 use 2. these cleared and marked corridors are easier to "sell".

Some bushes are going to get gone eventually:redneck:and I believe this map the DNR will be referencing, is the route to use.:awesomework:

I won't be able to participate in any of this, but I'm curious about these "corridors" as well.

Are these going to be "approximately" vehicle and/or trail wide, or more like 2-3' wide to make it easier to walk/view as the trail is built.

Handful of guys with brush-cutting weed-whackers, or even 1/2 with weed-whackers and other 1/2 with DR-type wheeled brush cutters would make FAST works of a quick-and dirty.

Really, bitching about fern's being transplanted to CLOSE and ORV trail??!?!? God, even when their getting what they want they still got to bitch. Somebody come up to my place and grab some big-ass-Vine-blackberry weeds/nuisance and plant those along the hiking trails. You know, the 1/2"+ thick ones that grow like 12" a day at the right time in the year :redneck:

I won't be able to participate in any of this, but I'm curious about these "corridors" as well.

Are these going to be "approximately" vehicle and/or trail wide, or more like 2-3' wide to make it easier to walk/view as the trail is built.

Handful of guys with brush-cutting weed-whackers, or even 1/2 with weed-whackers and other 1/2 with DR-type wheeled brush cutters would make FAST works of a quick-and dirty.

Really, bitching about fern's being transplanted to CLOSE and ORV trail??!?!? God, even when their getting what they want they still got to bitch. Somebody come up to my place and grab some big-ass-Vine-blackberry weeds/nuisance and plant those along the hiking trails. You know, the 1/2"+ thick ones that grow like 12" a day at the right time in the year :redneck:

But they don't have what they want, they want MORE..... That's why I'm with Rick on the brush clearing as a bad idea. I have been to 6 things that this "Fern Planting Plan" guy has been to and every time I think he has to be joking. These guys are serious and I would remind you that it's not JUST about Reiter either. These guys don't want us at any of our ORV areas.

Good job in planning ahead though Money. It could be quite a goatfawk otherwise. :awesomework:

The actual call to "clear the corridor" is up to the DNR. May not be the right time now.......we'll see.

And to clarify, I interrupted the needed clearing as mainly black-berry bushes and other "nuisance" items that hinder the full (8ft) corridor width.

No need to spend all day mowing the forest floor. We don't want to do that.

And I believe that trans-planting various acceptable plants was an idea thrown around. So we don't want to injure re-plant candidates.

The trail restorations and trail obliterations are a little rough, aren't they? I don't see our volunteer work time on the 16th quite the same. Light.....easy.

I think just cutting enough brush out of the way to walk and more the noxous weed sticker bushes
a lot of the area doesn't need clearing at all

I didn't say it was a bad idea I just brought it up for discussion. I'm sure some groups of people will think it's a bad idea though.

:awesomework: My bad...

*I* think it is a Bad idea. But it has already been addressed now...

oooh bringing the choppers! that'll help get some blackberrys out of the way. Probably shouldn't wear shorts eh? :redneck:

And now they are searching Walker Valley for issues just like they did at Reiter....... This is only the beginning unfortunately. :looser:

No Neil, not JUST like Reiter...WV is already an ORV park. This kinda stuff comes up every once in a while...There are only a couple small issues with the 4x trails, the majority of the water issues are on the ATV/singletrack trails!!! Are you gonna be there to help (You do use those trails)??? Or are you just going to :stirpot: and do nothing to help WV???

No Neil, not JUST like Reiter...WV is already an ORV park. This kinda stuff comes up every once in a while...There are only a couple small issues with the 4x trails, the majority of the water issues are on the ATV/singletrack trails!!! Are you gonna be there to help (You do use those trails)??? Or are you just going to :stirpot: and do nothing to help WV???

Actually Kev, these guys (who brought evidence of the damage at Reiter to the DNR in Olympia and pressured them into the closure) are the SAME ones who are showing DNR in Olympia all the issues at Walker. I saw some water issues when I was there Monday riding and a lot seemed to be flowing from the clearcuts into the trails. :haha: I guess it's still our problem to deal with and I will help with it. I just can't make it this time. :kiss: