• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Harnesses

I don't have them in a TJ but.. I imagine a couple of longer bolts and spacers to use in place of the front 2 seat mount bolts. Then a section of tubing welded to the spacers. Then wrap the sub belt around the tube.

This if you can find a bolt that thread pattern. Best i remember it's some weird ass metric thread.

If that is the case, you could easily do the same with a couple pieces of 1/8" plate welded at roughly 90* to each other. It shouldn't be much thicker than a washer, so new bolts may not be necessary. One plate bolts down to the chassis. The other has a hole for a sub belt to bolt to. Just make sure the angle is correct for where the hole in the seat is for the sub strap.

About to get a set of the padded 3" prps but from what I gather in the race scene is ratcheting belts are worth the extra $.

I took a pretty bad spill this year at KoH without ratcheting belts in a hard shell seat with UPR cushion, and I was fine. That being said, I built the car and made sure that the belt mounts and routing were set up for me. I am smaller than most and have had issues in vehicles that I didn't set up. I am very conscious about making sure I am in tight every time. Any vehicle I get into, I make sure that the belts fit me correctly before we move anywhere. It is simply not worth the risk in my opinion. If that means I need to shorten the belts or change the routing that is what I will do. That being said, I will spring for ratcheting on my next set. I'd rather spend a little extra on safety than having that extra light bar or whatever else. Pull up versus pull down is another thing to look at. Where do the adjusters end up when you are strapped in, are they interfering with the seat or slots in the seat, etc. Also consider your neck restraint type and if the padded harnesses are better or worse for you.

You also have to consider the seat type. When I raced with suspension seats, I could never get tight enough. I'd be tight enough for a little while, but always had to readjust as the race went on. I will also never use a hard shell seat without my cushion. It cost almost $300 but my back didn't hurt at all after our wreck. Can't say the same for the driver. He was hurting for a while and went to the chiropractor multiple times.

Last edited:
Going with the PRP 5.3. How are people mounting the sub belt in a TJ? My Corbeaus are mounted on factory brackets now. Eventually a custom cage with seat mounts will go in. May just have to leave the sub belt out for now.
I'm running 5 point Crow's with the padded shoulder straps (3" shoulder and lap, 2" crotch) with Corbeau Baja SS seats in my TJ. Very happy with them. My seats are on the Corbeau double latch brackets. For the crotch strap I took a piece of 2"×4"× 1/4" plate and welded a double shear tab to it. That plate was then bolted through the tub with two 3/8 grade 8 bolts and a matching plate on the bottom to sandwich the tub. Pretty sure it won't pull through :)

I was able to keep all belts in the recommended angles, but had to run the belts over top of the seat back instead of through the slots as the Baja is fairly short and I'm average height (5'11").

About to get a set of the padded 3" prps but from what I gather in the race scene is ratcheting belts are worth the extra $.
If you are subject to bad wrecks or racing.The ratcheting type are the only ones that have stayed tight for me.I do run suspension seats. I rolled down a mountain one time with 5 rolls. After the first roll the belts(these where Simpson 5 point with sub belt on)started to get loose. By the 4th roll my helmet was hitting the roof. The next Monday ,i order a set of crow ratchet belt and have never regretted it.

In my experience, Simpson has a much cheaper adjuster then higher end PRP harnesses. They are the normal roller/spring type. The PRP I used most recently had the adjuster where you actually lift a "lock/lever" to loosen them, not just rotate the adjuster. The sewn together PRP has the less secure adjusters as well. I do not have any experience with a higher end Simpson harness if they use a different adjuster.

The harness can loosen from the seat settling or the adjuster loosening.

I ran the same as the op belts in my sxs and would just loosen the shoulders enough to drape them around the side of the seat. Then just slide them on and tighten up.

I currently have ProArmor 4 point harnesses. For those not familiar with them, the shoulder belts are attached to the lap belt. I've been thinking of going to harnesses where the shoulder belts are separate from the lap belt.

What is everyone running?
I have the ProArmor ones in my sxs and I really prefer my crow harnesses with the individual straps that I have in my buggy.