• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Heavy duty ball mount

unclestripey

I'm hunting a heavy duty ball mount.
Ordered what I thought would work from Curt Mfg. it's a 8" drop with a 12k trailer/1.2k tongue weight rating. It's AWESOME, exactly what I wanted......'cept I need 10" of drop. I can't seem to find a drop hitch with this weight rating AND 10" if drop. Anyone got any ideas? Needs to fit 2" receiver. Spare me the "trucks too tall" comments, it's got a flatbed with a class 5 rated 2" receiver, it's really not very tall, the receiver is just higher than it could be...thanks!:beer:

Do like superhitch and put another reciever below your existing one? That should get you about 2" of drop, and then your 8" would work perfect.

No, not really. I really liked the Curt, the sucker seemed bombproof. I like bombproof.:redneck: I think the horse trailer with tack etc probly weighs in around 7500..... Our girls are pretty big. Otherwise just a 20' carhauler with "whatever" on it, though usually just a Sami. I found an adjustable aluminum one with a 10k rating, just not excited about the $200 price. The 8" Curt was $60.

Can't stack revievers the way the beds set up without looking.........wrong.

Last edited:
I know it's an expensive solution, but it would be safer; what about a weight distribution system? You can get a drop shank with the weight ratings and length you need, plus the weight distribution system would help with towing stability and the leverage on the hitch itself...

Or, you could "cheat" and get the drop shank and hitch head and run that without the weight distribution parts? Still an expensive option though...

~T.J.

Go with the drop for the bolt on pintle hitch. You can get the pintle hitch with a 2-5/16 ball in it. There very solid and rated for a lot of weight, I can't remember the exact amount but I have been running mine for years.

Bolt a railroad tie to the bottom of the bumper and attach the ball with zipties.

Probably safer than a gigantic drop hitch. :D

For real though give Doug a call at Doug's RV in Startup. He's always hooked me up. :awesomework: