• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

heli-coil have u used em?

BUILTnotBOT

tearing into my jeep the other day and noticed the driver side mounting bolts for the trans to bell had a 1/8th inch gap in it.... so started tightening the bolts and all they did was spin, stripped threads in the aluminium bellhousing:mad:. Dumped the trans last weekend and yup theyre stripped out.... Im about 100% positive my right foot and gas pedal had everything to do with this so anyways im looking at my options...

1:Hunting down a new/used bellhousing which can be spendy and tough to find with this conversion. jeep 4.2L-np435= t150/t176 bellhousing

2: through bolt with a nut in the bellhousing of a smaller size or drill for a larger size... I really dont like this idea

3: heli-coil, which are not recomended for through holes but my plan is to stop the pilot bit prior to finishing the hole and than put the insert in.

I have a good friend who is a machinist and recomended the heli-coil option. Showing me the numbers that to tap the 7/16hole to the next size 1/2" wouldnt work because of the tolerances of the threads.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-4478&PMPXNO=950061&PARTPG=INLMK32

So what do you guys think? Have any of you ever used one of these on any of your rigs? Or experience with these and their reliablility on a offroad vehicle? Id hate to spend $50 on a quick fix when that money could've went to a replacement housing...

Never used these on a vehicle, but have used them on Mills and Lathes for stripped out holes and the hold up very well. I usually add permanent Loc-Tite when I thread the insert in.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCTh23Z6o0[/YT]

A heli coil isn't a "quick fix". If done correctly it's permanent quality fix.
Yes I've used many of them (though I can't remember ever using one on aluminum) and they work well for most applications...Now the issue you may have is being it's aluminum I'm guessing that there's lots of thread engagement? The Heli-coil inserts aren't real long so it may not engage as many threads as original.

I have two, count them, two heli-coils in my T-case mounting holes, which are 8mmx1.25 thread...the case IS aluminum, and I repaired these holes before the case went into the Sami some 6 yrs ago...(bought the case with two damaged holes, but it had 6.0:1 gears in it, and the price was right...There's not alot of room for error in my case, so being careful was key...There's also a few other Heli-coils thru-out my rig in various places!:redneck:
I have used MANY Heli-coils in aluminum applications with good success over the years...If you get the kit for the size you're needing...the thread tap will have which drill size you need to drill it to...:awesomework:

Like Kevin said, they work great on aluminum, the t-case in my Cruiser also has 2 of them, one is for one of the mounting bolts, other is on the nose cone, I have beat the chit out of it for a few years with zero issues.

Every 22re aluminum head I have rebuilt gets time-serts installed on the exhaust side. Much easier to do when I have the head off the truck. They work great, I have done 3 sets and never had a problem. Just go slow and be careful.

I used these for years in the machine shop rebuilding engines and cylinder heads..

I have not had any troubles with them, if done correctly, they will last a very long time.

as mentioned before, I also use some strong perm. loc-tite as well on the insert.

they are super simple and quick to do.

It's really not necessary to locktite the heli-coil...by design the thread repair coil would try to open up when reversed, essentially locking it in. That said, I do use a tiny amt of locktite on the coil in certain apps...

I've used Heli-coils in the aircraft industry for years, so they will be fine for a 4X4. I've also used them on aluminum parts on my rig with no issues for years.

Navy uses them all the time for aluminium....makes the thread much stronger than original.

95% of harley davidsons have a helicoil to hold the exhaust pipes to the head as the original threads strip out.:awesomework:

Just used a heli-coil on caliper bracket bolts. Everything went smoothly so it should be fine

A heli coil isn't a "quick fix". If done correctly it's permanent quality fix.

I have not had any troubles with them, if done correctly, they will last a very long time.

they are super simple and quick to do.

I've used Heli-coils in the aircraft industry for years, so they will be fine for a 4X4. I've also used them on aluminum parts on my rig with no issues for years.

:beer::beer::beer:

thanks for all the responses guys. the kit is on order and on its way!:awesomework:

7/16x14 same as the link in my first post. thanks Zoediak but i just ordered the kit and itd be nice to have a complete setup with inserts in my repair parts drawer for future junk... looking forward to seein this box on my doorstep

We use Time serts at work and they work better than heli-coils do. But if done right a heli coil will give a good quality repair.

7/16x14 same as the link in my first post. thanks Zoediak but i just ordered the kit and itd be nice to have a complete setup with inserts in my repair parts drawer for future junk... looking forward to seein this box on my doorstep

ahh ok.. yeah i have quite a few of that size... had to repair some bolt holes on an old engine block a couple months ago and had just refilled that size...

it is always nice to have them around.. :awesomework:

ahh ok.. yeah i have quite a few of that size... had to repair some bolt holes on an old engine block a couple months ago and had just refilled that size...

it is always nice to have them around.. :awesomework:

Must be a Jeep thing to have that size layin' around!:fawkdancesmiley:
(That said, I also have that size.....layin' around...:booo:)

Must be a Jeep thing to have that size layin' around!:fawkdancesmiley:
(That said, I also have that size.....layin' around...:booo:)

hahaha.. it was actually for a Willy's.. :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley:

but then, I guess a bolt that size just might be bigger than an sami axle shaft... :fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley: :haha: :haha: