• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

high torque starter problems?

reefermadnes

Ive got a sbc with a mini high torque starter that is acting up.HAve two brand new yellow tops in series to this starter,has been working great till last weekend at evans creek.Acts like batterys are dead and doesnt want to start.Took both batterys and made sure they were at full charge and still cranked over slow and the starter sounds different too.My question is I heard that these may be rebuildable.Could it be just the soleinoid?Any thoughts would be appreciated!Also noticed that a couple of the small bolts that hold it together(not the bolts that hold it to the block) were a little loose and the whole housing jiggeled a little,tightened all up and still slow starting.:mad::wtf:

Ive got a sbc with a mini high torque starter that is acting up.HAve two brand new yellow tops in series to this starter,has been working great till last weekend at evans creek.Acts like batterys are dead and doesnt want to start.Took both batterys and made sure they were at full charge and still cranked over slow and the starter sounds different too.My question is I heard that these may be rebuildable.Could it be just the soleinoid?Any thoughts would be appreciated!Also noticed that a couple of the small bolts that hold it together(not the bolts that hold it to the block) were a little loose and the whole housing jiggeled a little,tightened all up and still slow starting.:mad::wtf:

Most starters are rebuild able....that being said i have never owned or seen a mini so your guess is as good as mine. I have a buddy that rebuilds all electrical motors, he does all of my starters, winch motors blah blah blah

Heading home to take it apart now.If no issues are found or I cant resolve the issue can you have it looked at for me?:awesomework:

I am going to bet the armature where the brush's ride is worn. Since most high torque starters run a smaller motor and rely on the gearing internally you have created more heat buildup in a smaller area and it will wear into the copper on the armature. At least thats what I have found....

Also running 2 batteries in series and jumping the voltage to 24v isn't healthy on a starter....

Ok, just got it out and (hotter than hell) and before I could get it to the bench I could smell burnt.Got it apart and completely burnt up inside,I know the two batterys in series doesnt help and the mud from previous trips doesnt either but anyone know if rebuilding it would be cheaper than just buying one?:mad:

Before the new yellow tops I ran dual red tops all the exact same way positive to positive negative to negative for 8 years on the red tops and never had an issue.The starter is old and very well used,like I said deep mud and the last weekend at evans it stalled on me and I cranked it over more than I should have.The starter just was cooked inside:beer::puke:

Commutator

I am going to bet the armature where the brush's ride is worn. Since most high torque starters run a smaller motor and rely on the gearing internally you have created more heat buildup in a smaller area and it will wear into the copper on the armature. At least thats what I have found....

Also running 2 batteries in series and jumping the voltage to 24v isn't healthy on a starter....

Hi crash, So you don't have to continue being completely clueless on certain nomenclature ! I figered I would tell ya what that part is called, :beer::corn::stirpot:

how have ya been ??? Seen ya posting on pirate and getting a lot of smoke blown up yer ass,

:awesomework:

A commutator is a rotary electrical switch in certain types of electric motors or electrical generators that periodically reverses the current direction between the rotor and the external circuit. In a motor, it applies power to the best location on the rotor, and in a generator, picks off power similarly. As a switch, it has exceptionally long life, considering the number of circuit makes and breaks that occur in normal operation.

Hi crash, So you don't have to continue being completely clueless on certain nomenclature ! I figered I would tell ya what that part is called, :beer::corn::stirpot:

how have ya been ??? Seen ya posting on pirate and getting a lot of smoke blown up yer ass,

:awesomework:

A commutator is a rotary electrical switch in certain types of electric motors or electrical generators that periodically reverses the current direction between the rotor and the external circuit. In a motor, it applies power to the best location on the rotor, and in a generator, picks off power similarly. As a switch, it has exceptionally long life, considering the number of circuit makes and breaks that occur in normal operation.

How funny..

And you can't even say something in your own words--you have to copy stuff off the net :looser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commutator_(electric)

Before the new yellow tops I ran dual red tops all the exact same way positive to positive negative to negative for 8 years on the red tops and never had an issue.The starter is old and very well used,like I said deep mud and the last weekend at evans it stalled on me and I cranked it over more than I should have.The starter just was cooked inside:beer::puke:

Ok you are running them in Parallel then :awesomework:

I have been running mine like this for years except I run a master battery switch so I can kill any battery I want to....

Well leasten now you know what that thimagger is called that the brushes ride on

Even if it atook a copy paste of of the Internet,

:cheer:

The whole unit is still the armature and had you actually known what you were talking about from "real life experience" with those parts you would have known that---not trying to act smart with which you have failed...

Latest posts