• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

hiking boots

oneshot

Looking for a new hiking boot, leaning towards scarpa or asolo. what is your flavor and what makes you like them. :beer:

I had tried wearing a pait of Asolo Fugitive's off and on for the past two years and never really liked them, they were too small a size and too stiff, after a short 4-8 mile hike my feet would be killing me to the point i was almost limping, I went back to REI and returned them. Then tried on a "wide" version, they still felt too stiff and my foot slipped around in them a bit more than i wanted.

I purchased a pair of North Face Verbera's during their recent sale. I've only wore them a full day at work (9hrs at the office on a friday, with a fair amount of walking around) I never felt fatigued in them nor any discomfort. They're way more flexible, but you sacrifice some toe protection. I have yet to take them on a real hike, but they sure are comfy!.....for now. :redneck:

I plan on using them mostly for backpacking trips and some rougher trail use. On lighter day trips, where no mud is present i tend to lean more towards my running sneakers.

What kind of hiking are you planning to do? Short day hikes, Long multiple day backpacking trips? Well-traveled trails, rough stuff?

Last edited:
I wear Danner Pronghorn GTX's 4 days a week for work, hiking 2-5 miles per day. They're a great boot and have stood up for a summer and a half so far. The thing I like about them over other, more work orientated boots is theyre lightweight. They fit my feet perfectly, no slipping but not too tight. They are Caulk'd boots, so I cant comment on the traction of the stock soles. Another thing is they are made in China.

http://www.danner.com/pronghornr-gtxr-brown-all-leather-200g-hunting-boots.html

Not really a super light boot, but I'd say Whites Outdoorsman. Waterproof and custom fit. Can wear them for hours without any problems. More comfortable than my Romeos

I have lots of romeo's, most of them try to kill me when they are wet and i walk on the garage floor:redneck: and i have a couple of pair of whites caulk boots for work.
I've tried alot of different boots for backpacking, just have not found one that was so great that i wouldnt try anything else.
My backpack can weigh more then 100lbs at times so the boots must be able to support this.:awesomework:

Are you looking for tall boots or mid-height? I like my Danners for hunting, trolling around the woods but I never wore them climbing or backpacking.

I'm going to try the kayland vertigo duals, I hope they are better then my last pair of scarpa's.:awesomework:

I have 2 pair of Asolos, one lighter pair, great for day hikes but the soles tread is not very deep and slip in some loose stuff at times. The heavier pair are great for backpacking and heavier loads. For some reason Asolos just fit me well and take very little break in. Everyone has to find the one they fit best.

I have a pair of asolo fugitive, I Like them for day hikes with a light pack.:awesomework: I just got my kaylands and they are alot stiffer in the tread,and better ankle support. will see how they do with a heavy pack:awesomework:

Asolo or Montrails

a couple of "Musts" for good hiking boots are

Toe cap, i.e. the ruber comes up over the toe.
Gortex, If its not gortex, its not water proof. The Scarpi's use a sylicone impregnated leather, they are not bad, but they are not gortex.

Asolo or Montrails

a couple of "Musts" for good hiking boots are

Toe cap, i.e. the ruber comes up over the toe.
Gortex, If its not gortex, its not water proof. The Scarpi's use a sylicone impregnated leather, they are not bad, but they are not gortex.

Just sent my kaylands back, tiny toe box ouch:mad: As far as scarpas the pair I have have a gortex lining, as do the new kaylands. I am going to try another pair of kaylands, the contact rev with a event lining:awesomework: