• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Home defense weapons and kids.

grcthird

Birmingham, AL
When I was a bachelor, it didn't really matter where I kept my home defense noise makers, no body really ever came over, so stuff stayed accessible without issue. Now married and have the wife's 6 year old niece coming over on a regular basis since they live a mile away. Parents kinda let her have the run of the house where ever they are, and she is a nosy little snot by nature, so I am finding new ways to keep firearms out of arms reach and still accessible should the need arise. What do you guys who have kids do? It's kinda hard to keep a 12 GA in the top dresser drawer.

Eliminate the curiosity, and you eliminate a huge amount of worry. Introduce her to the gun, and teach her about it. Let her know that anytime she wants to see it, handle it, or shoot it, all she has to do is ask and you will oblige. This philosophy has worked very well for my kids/family and any of their friends that have come around

fl-krawler said:
Eliminate the curiosity, and you eliminate a huge amount of worry. Introduce her to the gun, and teach her about it. Let her know that anytime she wants to see it, handle it, or shoot it, all she has to do is ask and you will oblige. This philosophy has worked very well for my kids/family and any of their friends that have come around

Same way I was raised.

I.m in the same situation as the op, 5 y/o niece that comes over regularly. Me and her dad are working on raising her around firearms and teaching respect for them.

fl-krawler said:

I agree times 1 million. I knew where every gun in my house was and none of them were locked up ( sounds crazy I know ) but I got my first gun at 5 years old, yes, 5. I was taught how to use it and that anytime I wanted to be around it all I had to do was ask, but if I ever did so without asking I would never see it again. I was also taught that guns kill people and if I made a mistake there was no coming back from it.... and if I or the other person survived my dad would kill me either way :****:

I was raised the same way also. Her dad is one of my best friends, known each other since we were little kids. He has brought her up the same way, BUT, I see such a pattern of disobedience with her that I will not trust her. Doesn't mean I don't love her to death, but I am a nervous wreck if she is over and everything isn't locked up.

grcthird said:
I was raised the same way also. Her dad is one of my best friends, known each other since we were little kids. He has brought her up the same way, BUT, I see such a pattern of disobedience with her that I will not trust her. Doesn't mean I don't love her to death, but I am a nervous wreck if she is over and everything isn't locked up.

I have locked my up if some of my friends and familys hellyun kids were over. Nothing wrong with being smart

I keep my 12ga in bedroom closet on top shelf under a dufflebag. Its loaded but a shell isnt chambered. I have 2 boys ages 8 and 5 and from where I work armed security we do alot of shooting and the boys are always by my side so they know gun safety very well. My 8 year old even keeps his mossberg 715T tactical .22lr beside his bed...... unloaded of course...lol

fl-krawler said:

I agree, but how do you educate any friend who may show up at your home when you are around. I was almost shot in the face by my best friend when I was about 12. He came by the house after school and I wanted to show him my dad's 38 he kept buy the bed. I had grown up around loaded guns in the house. Like a dumbass I handed him the thing and said, "be careful with it, it's loaded". He immediately proceeded to point it at my face and say, "yeh, right". I grabbed it and we proceeded to wrestle around my parent's bedroom with this loaded 38. He was mostly laughing because he thought it was a joke. I finally got it away from him and he bought **** when I flopped that cylinder open.

I don't have an answer to how you keep a readily accessible loaded defense weapon at home and still make it kid proof. All I'm saying is that you can train your kids and maybe their friends you know about, but you also have to worry about the "other" kids that will be in your home.

Long guns stay unloaded and ammo locked up. Handgun is usually on me or put up, out of reach of short people. Not many visitors at our house but if I thought someone was coming who might be a problem then I will lock it up somewhere.

I too have tried to train my son about firearm safety. He knows I carry and doesn't ask questions much anymore after explaining why and what happens. He doesn't even handle his BB gun without asking so I hope I've done a good job.

98TJ said:
I agree, but how do you educate any friend who may show up at your home when you are around. I was almost shot in the face by my best friend when I was about 12. He came by the house after school and I wanted to show him my dad's 38 he kept buy the bed. I had grown up around loaded guns in the house. Like a dumbass I handed him the thing and said, "be careful with it, it's loaded". He immediately proceeded to point it at my face and say, "yeh, right". I grabbed it and we proceeded to wrestle around my parent's bedroom with this loaded 38. He was mostly laughing because he thought it was a joke. I finally got it away from him and he bought **** when I flopped that cylinder open.

I don't have an answer to how you keep a readily accessible loaded defense weapon at home and still make it kid proof. All I'm saying is that you can train your kids and maybe their friends you know about, but you also have to worry about the "other" kids that will be in your home.

Imo you broke cardinal rule number one of gun safety. Never hand someone a loaded gun unless you expect them to use it. My kids are taught to unload any gun, and rack it several times to insure its unloaded before they hand it to anybody.

long guns unloaded and locked up.

handguns loaded but in GunVaults. 4 key and silent, doors are spring loaded.
I have a handful of gun vaults, they are roughly $100 each so cheap security IMO. bedroom, pantry, closet, at my shop and in my truck. I CCW pretty much everywhere but my office, and it is a given I'll hit at least one place a weekend I cant legally carry into. Well I'm not leaving my gun laying about under the seat, so it goes in the gun vault under the backseat, its in there when I'm at work as well. If I'm at the shop working which is quite a bit, I toss it, my wallet and my keys in there. And most important, I have a routine, when I get home I go straight to my main one, and my wallet, keys, wedding band, and sidearm all go in and I close it.

I fully believe in educating my kids how to act around guns, there is zero replacement for it.
But that doesnt mean **** in the court of law if something were to happen. They will arrest you for negligence and there are tons of case law precedent that lands your ass in prison. I cant fathom losing a child to a firearm that I left loaded, and then pour salt in the wound being sent to jail then on to prison.

Just my $0.02. Kids will be kids, they are curious.

Never heard that rule. I try to follow Jeff Cooper's firearm safety rules. They are simple and easy to remember. Rule number 1 is: "All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are."

It's very common for me to hand someone a loaded weapon. Generally the person I hand it to knows it's loaded; if not, I tell them.

In this case I was a 12 year old dumbass who shouldn't have been ****in' around with my dad's handgun, loaded or not. I had been hunting many times with the friend I handed his 38 to, so I thought he understand what a loaded gun was. But he came from a home where the idea of a loaded gun in the house was so alien, he just didn't believe me when I pulled it out of a drawer and told him it was loaded. He thought I was kidding.

I'm just saying, **** happens and every scenario can't be foreseen when it comes to kids and easily accessible loaded weapons in the home. I guess if I had kids, I would have them all in the safe. But then, how long does it take to get to it? Like I said, I don't have an answer.

I have a 12 yr old daughter and a 13 yr old son. That bn said we have a house full
Most any time. My kids no what and where the guns r they also no there not toys
I hunt and both of my kids have saw what hàppens when you pull the trigger. Something
Dies. I treat our guest like my own they play by my rules or they're not welcome anymore.
I let my children police my accessible weapons and I've heard them tell friends... Hey it's
A gun we don't mess with it unless daddy is with us and it's never went any further than that

j, my dad actually makes secure concealed furniture to stow them in. They are accessible via rfid key tags and secure when you need them to be. Or you can get to bike hooks for holding a bike vertically in a garage and hang 2 of them in your closet above the door. too high for most kids to reach and usually when someone looks into a closet they look into it, never up and behind their head.

offroadr1 said:
j, my dad actually makes secure concealed furniture to stow them in. They are accessible via rfid key tags and secure when you need them to be. Or you can get to bike hooks for holding a bike vertically in a garage and hang 2 of them in your closet above the door. too high for most kids to reach and usually when someone looks into a closet they look into it, never up and behind their head.

I remember you showing me a piece of furniture awhile back when I was out there, the closet thing will probably happen, I've seen that before and it works good.

InDaShop said:
But that doesnt mean **** in the court of law if something were to happen. They will arrest you for negligence and there are tons of case law precedent that lands your ass in prison. I cant fathom losing a child to a firearm that I left loaded, and then pour salt in the wound being sent to jail then on to prison.

When I was telling her parents that last night, they had no clue that could/would happen. ::)
Dad started using gun vaults when my nephew started staying with them, I need to get a couple.

98TJ said:
Rule number 1 is: "All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are."

Dad always told us that growing up and I still do this.

Thanks guys.

offroadr1 said:
Or you can get to bike hooks for holding a bike vertically in a garage and hang 2 of them in your closet above the door. too high for most kids to reach and usually when someone looks into a closet they look into it, never up and behind their head.

awesome idea!! gona do that this weekend

Re: Re: Re: Home defense weapons and kids.

TacomaJD said:
Weapons? Guns are bad, nobody should own anything other than a bb gun. :flipoff1:

If you don't leave them guns locked up and unloaded they will kill ppl.. I saw it on the radio them democrats says they seen them guns just up and shoot for no reason

The expensive guns are locked up in a case, in the middle of our outdoors room. Was raised to always assume a gun was loaded and with respect for them. The not so expensive are hung on the wall in a couple spot in the house. High enough that any kids who can reach it should know how to handle it. I also put the lock on them like in gander mountain, etc. so that you can't get to the trigger. Handguns are in the case also, except for one on me, one in a locked console in the jeep, and one in my truck. I also built the bedroom furniture and the night stand top drawer stays somewhat empty. I built it so you push up the bottom, pull the top flap, and you have your hands on a 357 or a Springfield 40, depending on what I carry that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts