• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How do diesel tuners work?

They're like magnents, nobodys quite sure how they work.
file.php

the turner controls "recurves" the fuel delivery enrichment and timing. so it can lean the fuel and retard the delivery to gain mpg at cruise, and enrich and advance to gain power.

the turner controls "recurves" the fuel delivery enrichment and timing. so it can lean the fuel and retard the delivery to gain mpg at cruise, and enrich and advance to gain power.

This explains a lot.

I was under the impression that the injector could only work during the intake stroke.

This explains a lot.

I was under the impression that the injector could only work during the intake stroke.

it does. but at what point in degrees of the crank shaft rotation on the intake stroke is where the injection timing and how much fuel is injected.

it would be easyer to sit down and draw it out in a graph or a picture to explain it.

it does. but at what point in degrees of the crank shaft rotation on the intake stroke is where the injection timing and how much fuel is injected.

it would be easyer to sit down and draw it out in a graph or a picture to explain it.

I found this graph, but the formulas make no sense to me.

220px-DieselCycle_PV.svg.png

In a nutshell they can say it but they can't really deliver. It's just playing the odds. How many people are going to try and follow through with the guarantee?

This guy is. I've been playing with my tuner.

Bottom line is last tank of fuel I was driving like an old man on level 1 and averaged 17.5 MPG hand calculated. Almost EXACTLY the same daily drive as the last tank.

The previous tank I had the tuner set at level 2 for the entire tank. I averaged 20.2MPG hand calculated.

Weather was "about the same." Drives throughout the tank were almost EXACT.

So if all the tuner does is dump more fuel in the engine to make more power, how is it that I am saving MPG at a higher level?

EDIT: Driving style was the same too. I try as best as I can to keep the boost gauge from moving. The hills where I know it is going to move, I set the cruise control at the same speed. Same load in the vehicle.

Last edited:
I found this graph, but the formulas make no sense to me.

The way I understand it with Diesel injection timing...The goal is to have the mixture combust/ push down on the piston at or right after TDC. Too soon and it burns before TDC and you loose power and it's hard on the engine. Too late and you loose power but it's safe. From what I understand the factory timing is typically late and safe....
The fuel map on Diesel is quite a bit different than gassers as there is no throttle blade. With a gasser the throttle blade controls RPM and the fuel map makes it richer or leaner. On a diesel the fuel air ratio will vary greatly and it's just a matter of how much power the mixture and timing combination makes that determines the RPM.........
This is all greatly simplified but that's basically how I understand it.

So if all the tuner does is dump more fuel in the engine to make more power, how is it that I am saving MPG at a higher level?

That's not really what the tuner is doing. It may be changing the fuel map but that's little more than offset by the position you have the "gas" pedal....The injection timing makes much more difference IMHO...In fact I would go one step further and say at steady cruise fuel map makes no difference whatsoever.

Bottom line is last tank of fuel I was driving like an old man on level 1 and averaged 17.5 MPG hand calculated. Almost EXACTLY the same daily drive as the last tank.

The previous tank I had the tuner set at level 2 for the entire tank. I averaged 20.2MPG hand calculated.

Weather was "about the same." Drives throughout the tank were almost EXACT.

EDIT: Driving style was the same too. I try as best as I can to keep the boost gauge from moving. The hills where I know it is going to move, I set the cruise control at the same speed. Same load in the vehicle.

boost isn't a bad thing at low rpm levels, and this might be where you're getting the benifit on level 2. it brings on more fuel at lower rpm to spool up the turbo and make power when you're pulling a hill or accelerating. insted of wasting fuel and rpm in turbo lag and waiting for the rpm to climb and spool up the turbo.

Now keep in mind you economy could very well change one way or the other. I just don't think the tuner company can justify the "guarantee"...You driving style will dictate far more than the tuner will.

Now keep in mind you economy could very well change one way or the other. I just don't think the tuner company can justify the "guarantee"...You driving style will dictate far more than the tuner will.

I'll keep at it with this.

It's tough to do it for more than one tank. Especially with winter wheeling season coming up.

If I can, I will try to replicate results with the same drive in the same conditions with different tunes. On Multiple tanks of fuel.

It is easy to do when I DD my truck to work and not much else. When I tow with it, it throws my testing out the window unless I tow to the same place at the same "I have a super bad ass diesel tow rig and I will get to the top of the pass before everyone" level. This is hard to do as when I tow up the pass my only limits are the pyrometer and trans gauge.

it brings on more fuel at lower rpm .

Are you sure the fuel map would be per RPM? I don't understand how that could work.......I don't think I've never seen a diesel tuning file. Does anyone have one they could post? Maybe a Tuner pro file?

Latest posts