• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How does the tranny go in??

PaperTowels

Hey guys I had a question for anybody here I have my tranny out of my 88 xj and the gentleman who was helping me is extremely busy and doesn't know when he'll be back to help finish the job.

So I need to know how does the tranny bolt up? In what steps does it go on? I got it laying about 6 inches from the bolt holes on the top of it. But do I mount the torque converter first and tighten it down first or after I get some bolts in the tranny and engine to hold it up there?

I am only one set of hands I know no one here in WA as I just moved from vegas a couple months ago.

Or someone could come help me and ill pay them with money, food and beer!!

Chiltons manual at the parts store will give you step by step instructions. Best of luck

Well I have a haynes manual but the thing doesn't say what the torque converter should be tightened to.

And don't you have to have someone hold the crankshaft pulley to put it on so someone down below can tighten it?

And I've also heard that I shouldn't even bother with haynes or chilton as there are so many discrepancies in them. That's why I haven't consulted the manual.

Last edited:
Well I have a haynes manual but the thing doesn't say what the torque converter should be tightened to.

And don't you have to have someone hold the crankshaft pulley to put it on so someone down below can tighten it?

And I've also heard that I shouldn't even bother with haynes or chilton as there are so many discrepancies in them. That's why I haven't consulted the manual.

Well I just use my 3/8" impact and its perfect. I don't know the specific torque for your aplication but they make a flywheel holder that works good or you can jam,b something between the flexplate/tranny housing. But I suspect the toque will be right around 40-50 lbs. Oh and make sure to use red locktight on the torque converter bolts....

where are you located? i dont have any plans tonight if your close enough i could come out and help you.

but put the torque convertor on the trans input shaft. mate the trans to the engine, install the all the converter bolts loosely to make sure its aligned properly, then if they are the 10mm bolts the torque is 23-27lbft if they are the 12mm bolt the torque is 40-43lbft... to hold the crank i have used a pry bar on the flex plate. just wedged it into the case somewhere and kept it from moving

I live in white center in seattle and dude if you would come out and help me to put this thing on I would greatly appreciate it soo much!!

I will PAY, feed and beverage you up if you come.

I will PM you my number.

Ok so its not letting me send you a PM so here's my number 253 651 3361

Last edited:
When you put the converter in, make sure it's all the way in, the damage from having the converter "stacked" and not seated in the pump and on the turbine shaft all the way is both ugly and expensive.

Oh yeah I've heard of those horror stories but I will definetely make sure that everything is on right and tight.

Anything else I should check for and make sure is correct when the guy shows up?

When you put the converter in, make sure it's all the way in, the damage from having the converter "stacked" and not seated in the pump and on the turbine shaft all the way is both ugly and expensive.
indeed it is. i learned this first hand:looser::mad:

indeed it is. i learned this first hand:looser::mad:

i watched two jobs be saved moments before it did damage in the same day. Also watched the same couple people ruin TWO 700R4 lock up solenoids by trying to pull the pump without removing them first.