• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how long do your brakes last?

Glenn

I recently checked the front brake pads on my truck and they still have good material on them. They have been on there for 5 years or so.

How long do your brake pads last on your daily drivers?

I bought my 94 toyota new and have never replaced the back brakes, front once. 160,000 miles

About 14 months for the fronts, once in 258k for the rears. I drive 70k a year though.

My VW fronts have 102K on them. The rears were gone in under 50K on the first set IIRC, second set still have lots of meat. Isn't the backward? Oh and I thought I should add, I'm not exactly easy on my brakes.

Trail rig, I bet they never wear out :D

they last [air i put on my ranger lasted 8 months:mad: then got stress cracks

i got higher quality pads this time though and have had them for 6 months so far we will see what happens

I have an 88 toyota with 240K I have never had to replace the rear drum shoes yet. The fronts I have replaced about 4 times. The next time I change will be when I do the SAS which is soon I hope.

my s-10 pu all four at 65,000 miles
My dakota i did because of dodges lack of good rotors, rotors and pads about 45,000 - 50,000 miles rear have been checked and fine @ 84,000

IMO if you don't get at least 60k from brakes something is wrong. I always look for some evenness to the wear. If you wear down front pads several times and the rear pads/shoes are barely worn there's probably proportioning issues. Even worse if its one corner. I was gonna look into MP Brakes' adjustable proportioning valve but does anyone have experience with these? I'm wondering how you adjust it? Trial and error- skidding on gravel? Seems like a PITA but I get one wheel locks up first.

depends on your braking styles, towing, city driving vs. highway, etc... We see rigs with 100k on stock pads all the time, but we also see some customers who go through pads every 20k or less.

I think you need to learn to drive with less aggressive brake use... I have 5 years on my BIIs brakes and they are only worn about 1/4. :eeek:

im not an aggressive break person thats the thing they were the POS pads that les schwab put on it for the last owner right before i got it

And yet... that was the fault of the Ford Ranger's "undersize" brakes... :shaking:

Oh... you said the magic words.. Les Schwab... :haha:

I had them do my brakes once.... :mad: :looser:

And yet... that was the fault of the Ford Ranger's "undersize" brakes... :shaking:

Oh... you said the magic words.. Les Schwab... :haha:

I had them do my brakes once.... :mad: :looser:

ya the past owner had them done there right before selling it:mad:

Sam is your Ranger the 5 spd or the Automatic?

I had a 99 (3.0/5 spd) and never had to do rear pads, I did my fronts once because I warped the rotors from towing to much weight with out brakes on the trailer down a few long curvy hills (Renton to Des Moines with a big uhaul trailer).

My dad had a 98 (3.0/Auto) he went through front pads probably 2x's a year, but he's the type of driver that drives 80 in rush hour only to catch the next car 100 yards ahead then be back on the brakes. So that explains it. :rolleyes:

Sam is your Ranger the 5 spd or the Automatic?

I had a 99 (3.0/5 spd) and never had to do rear pads, I did my fronts once because I warped the rotors from towing to much weight with out brakes on the trailer down a few long curvy hills (Renton to Des Moines with a big uhaul trailer).

My dad had a 98 (3.0/Auto) he went through front pads probably 2x's a year, but he's the type of driver that drives 80 in rush hour only to catch the next car 100 yards ahead then be back on the brakes. So that explains it. :rolleyes:

5spd 4.0L