• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to ID Maxxis sticky?

Tlh89

Looking at a used set of Maxxis Creepy Crawler for sale. They say they are stickys but I'm not sure how to tell looking in pics. Don't want to drive 5 hours to buy totes just to find out they aren't stickys. Seller seems to think this yellow label means they are

I'd say the stamp below the yellow that says dot makes them non stickies. I'm not positive but I know tsl and bfg's say not for highway use. And the non sticky say dot

Anyone have any experience with sticky creepy crawlers? So far I've heard the non sticky suck, and then someone said they wouldn't run either version.

Tlh89 said:
Anyone have any experience with sticky creepy crawlers? So far I've heard the non sticky suck, and then someone said they wouldn't run either version.

Bob Youmans had a set on the Beemer buggy back in the day, his buggy went good. But it was also a well built buggy. Kinda hard to say how good they would do vs. others.

They definitely ain't no Red Label! :stir:

TacomaJD said:
Bob Youmans had a set on the Beemer buggy back in the day, his buggy went good. But it was also a well built buggy. Kinda hard to say how good they would do vs. others.

They definitely ain't no Red Label! :stir:

I loved my 39 reds I had on my Toyota, but I had several sidewall issues. Plus I wasn't to run 37s on my buggy and IIRC 37 reds are still back ordered.I would be in these creepy crawlers for about $1200, there are 5 @ 80% tread.

Tires would be going on my 2500lb or less samurai/Toyota buggy

Tlh89 said:
I loved my 39 reds I had on my Toyota, but I had several sidewall issues. Plus I wasn't to run 37s on my buggy and IIRC 37 reds are still back ordered.I would be in these creepy crawlers for about $1200, there are 5 @ 80% tread.

I need a smaller chassis like that one to swap everything over.

Re: Re: How to ID Maxxis sticky?

Tlh89 said:

Been following your build, good to put a screen name to it finally

Thanks Mo!

Trying to come up with a good tire on a budget, I hope to have it ready to go soon. Wheels/tires, dshafts, brake lines, and wiring are about all I have left.

If they are used, it's pretty easy to tell just looking at the tread. Stickies don't wear like normal tires.

I thought maxxis used the yellow logo on all their tires. Like others mentioned, my treps also say Competition.

bgredjeep said:
If they are used, it's pretty easy to tell just looking at the tread. Stickies don't wear like normal tires.

I thought maxxis used the yellow logo on all their tires. Like others mentioned, my treps also say Competition.

Yellow hot stamps on cc and orange on treps

Does the age of the tire affect the "stickiness"?

That picture tells me they were produced in the 50th week of 2005, so they are 11-12 years old.

617_Racing said:
Does the age of the tire affect the "stickiness"?

That picture tells me they were produced in the 50th week of 2005, so they are 11-12 years old.

Good point. I am curious to hear some answers.

I'm not sure that I want them anyway. I'm hearing the non sticky version sucked for east coast wheeling.

I asked the seller. Apparently he bought them from a friend who did comps in 2011 and they had never been mounted at that point.

When I bought my treps back in 2011 their label was a bright orange color. At that time the 40" trep was only made with the comp / sticky compound iirc. The label on the new 42's is much more of a yellow color tho. I'm not sure about the creepies but I'd be careful because they made quite a few of non comp creepies over the past 10-12 years. I rode with a guy a few years ago that had yellow label creepies on his buggy and he swore they were stickies but just by feeling the lugs I could tell they weren't.. they were no where near as soft as my tires were.

Attachments

• Trep 40.jpg
    Trep 40.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 135
Just for more info, I bought 37" bias and 37" Comp (sticky) at the same time last year. The only difference anywhere is the yellow patch on the sticky. They do no say competition anywhere on them.