• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how to inspect a detroit????

bigdaddy

i broke a joint, then yokes on the shafts, then knuckle this weekend. How do i tell if i hurt the detroit?

But in shafts and see if both tires spin wen you turn em??? Not sure how to physcially inspect the unit...

the lock and unlock seem to work fine. Just worried about fractures i guess. anyway you can inspect that with just the cover off or do you have to do a disassembly? Then what do you look for?

I have broke the detroit in my front 44 TWICE now :eek:

The first time it broke it SHOCK LOADED and broke EVERYTHING on the short PASS. side of the vehicle !!

Look for teeth & metal shavins through the small holes in the locker itself ,while it,s still in the housing.......or.....

REMOVE IT ...take the ring gear off and take the case halves apart.........

I made me a homemade "DEVICE" for taking a detroit apart and putting it back together........SAFELY........

take a piece of 5/16 threaded rod bout a 18" long ,weld it to a piece of flat steel ,then take the locker & sit it down on the "THEADED POLE",

then put a big flat washer on , then a WING NUT, snug the wing nut up, take out the bolts holdin the case halves together ,

and then SLOWLY back the wingnut off, look inside & take mental notes of how it comes apart in there,and because of the 2 BIG springs you will need ALL of the threaded rod to get it apart.

and then you can take inventory of what all is broke...... :'(

be patient puttin it back together,wiggle it, and go SLOW with the wing nut, if everything is correct the case halves come together EASILY

oh and use grease to hold the parts in place on the case half you have to hold UPSIDE DOWN !!

...........I have used my "DEVICE" to bring my detroit back from the dead TWICE !!

IMG_8819.jpg

ok, so is it necessary to disassemble? will it click, pop or make funny noises to indicate it is broken?
will it hurt the new shafts to run it if the detroit is broken on the first trip out?

zuki, did your detroit operate on the truck properly even though it was broken internally?

zukiscott said:
I have broke the detroit in my front 44 TWICE now :eek:

The first time it broke it SHOCK LOADED and broke EVERYTHING on the short PASS. side of the vehicle !!

Look for teeth & metal shavins through the small holes in the locker itself ,while it,s still in the housing.......or.....

REMOVE IT ...take the ring gear off and take the case halves apart.........

I made me a homemade "DEVICE" for taking a detroit apart and putting it back together........SAFELY........

take a piece of 5/16 threaded rod bout a 18" long ,weld it to a piece of flat steel ,then take the locker & sit it down on the "THEADED POLE",

then put a big flat washer on , then a WING NUT, snug the wing nut up, take out the bolts holdin the case halves together ,

and then SLOWLY back the wingnut off, look inside & take mental notes of how it comes apart in there,and because of the 2 BIG springs you will need ALL of the threaded rod to get it apart.

and then you can take inventory of what all is broke...... :'(

be patient puttin it back together,wiggle it, and go SLOW with the wing nut, if everything is correct the case halves come together EASILY

oh and use grease to hold the parts in place on the case half you have to hold UPSIDE DOWN !!

...........I have used my "DEVICE" to bring my detroit back from the dead TWICE !!

IMG_8819.jpg
wheres the Mud boggin pics?

hard to tell with a detroit about odd noises........after mine broke ,I thougt all that broke were the axles and hub, so i replaced them and THEN found out the detroit had GRENADED ,

because the right front STILL would not pull...........but it NEVER made a sound, I swapped out 2 different hubs before i figured out it was the locker,

and when i took the cover off , there were locker teeth in the bottom of the housing :eek:

and NO the left side of the locker was fine and PULLED the whole time,

I had to replace EVERYTHING on the right side though !!

and when you get all the internal parts out CLEAN AND DRY THEM and inspect them for HAIRLINE CRACKS ,

I ALMOST put the center gear thingy back in mine,, and it had 2 cracks in it you could BARELY SEE :eek:

ok - so i got the cover off, nothing unusual inside. no shavings, fragments, and only a little metal flake in the fluid.

works as it shoud for the "bench test". Yall think i ought to put it back up or disassemble?

when my locker broke i ran the rest of the weekend it was just like a spool it locked completely up

DAMN..........sounds like you LUCKED OUT and the damn thing turned itself into a FULL SPOOL , I have heard of that before.

The next time my front 44 DETROIT breaks, I will either put HYDRAULIC STEERING and a FULL SPOOL in the front of my ZUKI, or

I will get a stock carrier for 4.10 & up to hold my 5.38,s ,and put a LOCK RITE in it :dblthumb:

when it was locked up it was hell to steer... even with hydro
i will not put a spool up front :****:

my detroit stays locked up like a spool and i took it apart and all those little teeth around the inside were broke, sooooo im gonna take my buddies detroit that sheared the bolts holding the carier halves together and use his inside parts and hope i can make mine work right again :D ;D

Thats ODD..............Tony Black has wheeled his zuki buggy with a SPOOLED front 44 for 3 years now,.....and you can steer his EASY........ :dunno:

He must have DIFFERENT hydro than you :dunno:

My detroit has parts from 2 different units in it,and it works FINE,.............FOR NOW .............. :eek: :eek: :eek:

i have 44 boggers and I'm alot heavier than a zuki :****: it wasnt the fact that the tires wouldn't turn just the vehicle didn't
i have a double ended ram and i thought i Had the best...

Latest posts