• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

How to make fiberglass hoods?

COPPERHEAD42

My dad bought a twisted customs cts hood and im wanting to use it as a mold to make my own. Anyone have any links to any good tech on how to do this? Advise?

muscle car on the power block had a pretty detailed show on how to make a fiber glass hood from start to finish including the mold

I down loaded a detailed how to make fiberglass molds info thingy about two years ago. If I can find it I will send it to ya.

Can't find it. I think It went MIA on my old computer. I had to buy it, and it gave you materials needed and step by step instructions on how to make molds. Go to some of the desert sites they have alot of info on fiberglass. RDC or Desert rangers.

payne97 said:
if u can make1 from lexan id like 1 lol

MY big brain storm is build a hood out of 16 or 20 gauge aluminum , and place a sheet of lexan over it . make a box out of plywood kind of like a oven , and place a blower heater facing in a hole you make on one side and heat till the lexan molds around the shape then just trim the excess .. Just my dumb two sense ..

Will probably never work but it sounds good in my head

crawler1 said:
MY big brain storm is build a hood out of 16 or 20 gauge aluminum , and place a sheet of lexan over it . make a box out of plywood kind of like a oven , and place a blower heater facing in a hole you make on one side and heat till the lexan molds around the shape then just trim the excess .. Just my dumb two sense ..

Will probably never work but it sounds good in my head

There is an awesome place in Tulsa that will heat and blow it for you if you supply the molds. I dont know how Lexan would react to being blwon though. Most of those bubbles that are blown are in Lucite.

So you do your mold.
Then they hang the lucite and run it through a big ass kiln to get it hot on a hanging rack. Then they clamp it while still very hot to the mold with a plywood backing, and add air pressure between the plywood and the lucite blowing it into the mold.

I'll dig for the article I have on it. It was from Darryl Starbird on blowing a double hump canopy for a kustom car.

Doesn't sound to bad .

I live about 1 hour from the GE plastics plant were i get all my sheets of clear plastic , And have a few friends that have worked there for over 25 years . I may just need to get a hold of them and see what they can tell me , or a good easy way of doing it .

B Gillespie said:
My TC CTS hood had poor fit/finish.

His is pretty nice I think? But I honestly have nothing to compare it to. Ill take some pictures of it tommarow and post them. Could I even use his as a mold? Or would it not be sturdy enough

COPPERHEAD42 said:
His is pretty nice I think? But I honestly have nothing to compare it to. Ill take some pictures of it tommarow and post them. Could I even use his as a mold? Or would it not be sturdy enough

Mine was thin in several places. We had to add glass to strengthen a few places and fill one hole. It should be ok to use as a mold.

I would make a trip down to Garnett and check with the folks that make truck toppers down there :dunno:

Latest posts