• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

how to shave weight on rocks????

NTIDWELL said:
engine dyno on mine Ty 428hp. 312 rwhp. 6.0 turbo 400 stack put in 1.1 tranny in 3rd

That's only few hp less than a 2wd with a 10 bolt would lose between flywheel and the rollers. Maybe it's just the few hundreds of pounds that makes rocks seem to zap power?

muddinmetal said:
That's only few hp less than a 2wd with a 10 bolt would lose between flywheel and the rollers. Maybe it's just the few hundreds of pounds that makes rocks seem to zap power?
cooper got pretty much same setup he dyno in 320s thru 14 bolts

Also I'm trying to figure out how showgirl gettn so much wheel speed the only thing I can see is motor wise because of gear factors I'm coming up with 15to1 on mine and 16to1 on showgirl unless I'm figuring this **** wrong 2.3 with 672 vs 3.3 to 490 :dunno:

I don't understand why everyone says rockwells don't have much wheel speed? Mine has a 350th 205 with the factory 6:72's and I can blow the tires off.I think a lot of it has to do with everyone still basing off of the older buggies with weaker motors. Going to be interesting to see what axle and transfer case setups are going to be used in the next few years, this **** is starting to get out of hand!!!

Elliott said:
I don't understand why everyone says rockwells don't have much wheel speed? Mine has a 350th 205 with the factory 6:72's and I can blow the tires off.I think a lot of it has to do with everyone still basing off of the older buggies with weaker motors. Going to be interesting to see what axle and transfer case setups are going to be used in the next few years, this **** is starting to get out of hand!!!
o I agree with u completely everyone always talkn bout the wheel speed out of showgirl yes it blows the tires off and always referring back to the 4.90 gears so I started to do some figuring and I coming up with the same gear set so I guess torque and hp has to be the difference I guess

Rockwells607 said:
I agree with both of you, withn205 and th 400 when I bang 2 nd gear its roasting em pretty good 5000+ rpms
yes I was running 205 with 400 with stock 6.0 blow the tires off until on steep hill then it'd bog motor down so I figured with the 2.1 205 I'd drop a cam in 6.0 and that would take care of that ended up finding a hell of a deal on stack 2.3 so dropped it in also world of difference still not gettn the speed I want So might need to change up motor or blow the motor I gots or it might just be me being a non driving **** beats me

Rockwells607 said:
I agree with both of you, withn205 and th 400 when I bang 2 nd gear its roasting em pretty good 5000+ rpms
what motor?thats the same set up I'll be running behind a slightly built 355.

Cam and a stall should take care of you I would think, I run a 2,500 convertor that flashes to 3200. Seems to work great in mine

The evolution of the wheel speed crowd has been interesting to me. Once it was determined that wheel speed was so important physics dictated less gearing. But since we still needed to move those big tires the loss of gearing dictated more power. I don't know if the people who started this progression understood all this as they were doing it or were just unknowingly evolving to the laws of physics. But it is interesting to me.

Anyone know what t-case gears Showgirl runs? I thought I saw someone above say 3.3 but what t-case is that? I've got 3:1 t-case and 6.72 axle which makes me "too low." I feel it when I am in 1st gear, its definitely a crawling gear. ('Course, I still do actually crawl now and then and that gear is nice then.) Yet my 400 hp motor will sometimes bog down in 3rd gear low range on a steep hill. So maybe the difference is the extra 200-300hp that he has over me that may allow him to stay in 3rd gear where I can't?

Yet then again, the guy who made it the furthest up that hill at AOP had probably the smallest displacement V8 out there (5.0) whereas the guy with 1000hp and little gearing didn't make it nearly as far. And at HPO many of the more powerful rigs simply ricocheted off the hills whereas less powerful rigs got up. Bobby consistently does better than most and I think he is under 600hp, right?

Other than that I don't really have any thoughts. I'm trying to stop playing the "keep up with the wheel speed crowd" game because I can't afford the parts or the motor nor do I care to spend the time in the shop away from family replacing said parts if I could afford them. I'm trying to learn to be happy with my measly little 400hp and too deep gears and learn to back away from stuff that could result in hurting me or cause catastrophic damage to the rig. Sorry, I know that's boring but wheeling in general isn't nearly as fun as my beautiful daughter, so I'll leave it to those who are in the know and aren't lucky enough to be able to hang out with her like I am. :)

what is randall key running??? pretty sure its ls1,t350, 205, and stock rocks. it always seams to have the woopow when needed.

Elliott said:
Cam and a stall should take care of you I would think, I run a 2,500 convertor that flashes to 3200. Seems to work great in mine
this I already have and running 2.3 stack And sorry patooyee showgirl 3.1

NTIDWELL said:
o I agree with u completely everyone always talkn bout the wheel speed out of showgirl yes it blows the tires off and always referring back to the 4.90 gears so I started to do some figuring and I coming up with the same gear set so I guess torque and hp has to be the difference I guess
NTIDWELL said:
this I already have and running 2.3 stack

Sounds like you need about 2x the HP :woot:

NTIDWELL, I've got a stroker 454. It's got penty on hp but it's torque to turn tires fast in higher gears. I am running 350 turbo, 203-205. in high range, 4 wheel drive first gear I can hit my chip anywhere. Ever on pavement. When your going up a hill in high range at 7 grand, even in first gear, that's plenty of wheel speed. You can ask some of the guys I ride with, second range, second gear, is about all the wheel speed you can handle in the trails. First gear high range is about the tire speed you can handle on a hill, even with 6.72 gears. Let me say, that's all the wheel speed I can handle! P.S. My chip is 7100, and I hit it a lot!

halcat said:
NTIDWELL, I've got a stroker 454. It's got penty on hp but it's torque to turn tires fast in higher gears. I am running 350 turbo, 203-205. in high range, 4 wheel drive first gear I can hit my chip anywhere. Ever on pavement. When your going up a hill in high range at 7 grand, even in first gear, that's plenty of wheel speed. You can ask some of the guys I ride with, second range, second gear, is about all the wheel speed you can handle in the trails. First gear high range is about the tire speed you can handle on a hill, even with 6.72 gears. Let me say, that's all the wheel speed I can handle! P.S. My chip is 7100, and I hit it a lot!

I've never "rode with" halcat, but I've been around and seen his rig get retarded wheelspeed.

A big wide powerband that lets you run tall gears (hi range, or 3rd gear low), and pull from idle to redline is what you need.

Look at any of the Bacon's buggys with big blocks, or the rigs like Shane Keller's, Jordan Tanner's, Randall Key's Rage, or any of the others running the big 400+ cubic inch small blocks.

They are pulling hard all the way through the rpm range.

I always thought is was cool seeing a truck or rig with lots of torque pull a high gear off idle and get big wheelspeed, be it in rocks, hills or even deep mud.

I've got used to driving Toyota's which is the exact opposite, motor goes "NA NA NA NA NA" all day and the tires are turning 4.35 MPH... molaugh

TBItoy said:
I've got used to driving Toyota's which is the exact opposite, motor goes "NA NA NA NA NA" all day and the tires are turning 4.35 MPH... molaugh
Funny cuz it's true :****: