• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Hydro Steering Q's

charliesnyder

Alrighty. I think it might be time for me to upgrade my steering a little.

I have a '82 Yota w/ standard upgrades to it... Longs, gears, lockers, dual cases, 4" All Pro springs, TG Hi Steer..

Looking to go hydro. Not wanting to waste my money on a hydro-assist setup either. What all is needed to piece together a setup? I know I can go to PSC and get their Toy setup but I'd rather piece one together over the next year.

Few questions I've thought about:

What size ram? What size lock to lock orbital are you running? Where are you mounting the orbital? Single or double-ended ram?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Kinda what I thought. Wanted to know what everyone here used.

Thanks!

If you dont have 6 inch ram on a toyota thern its wrong or got a custom arm.

If you have a toy axle and off the shelf Hysteer then a 6 is tits.

If looking for displacement numbers, they are listed on Trail Gears site and give the displacement and turns lock to lock.

Chop spurred this on: Dont buy any of trail gears hydro parts. MMMMK??

Americans for americans.

If you dont have 6 inch ram on a toyota thern its wrong or got a custom arm.

If you have a toy axle and off the shelf Hysteer then a 6 is tits.

If looking for displacement numbers, they are listed on Trail Gears site and give the displacement and turns lock to lock.

Ok, awesome. I already have TG Hysteer and will have the Six Shooter Knuckles and arms by then.

Americans for americans.

Haha!

I'll try not to, I already have a bunch of their stuff tho!

Anyone have the link or the P/N for the PSC kit for Toys? I've seen it floating around before.

Americans for americans.

Look ol grumpy bunky, I said to go there and rob numbers to use for finding thier own parts.:D

I did put full hydro from TG on a truck for 600 shipped to my door. Orbital, column (toyota spline), ram kit with lines and mounts, orbital mount, all for under 600.
Just food for thought.

I showed the customer a psc system for over a grand and the TG for under 600, HE chose the TG.

I get paid to mount either.:D

What would be better? Using a dual ended or single?

doesnt matter really on a toyota. The level of performance gained by using a dual over a single is pretty much voided by the fact its on a leaf toyota.

The single is cheaper and better protected and simpler to mount and service.

the dual is pimp, and it needs a more complex mount, has two exposed ends to worry about damaging, has the best/equal steering performance. Its more complex with lots of parts and is expensive.

Look ol grumpy bunky, I said to go there and rob numbers to use for finding thier own parts.:D

I did put full hydro from TG on a truck for 600 shipped to my door. Orbital, column (toyota spline), ram kit with lines and mounts, orbital mount, all for under 600.
Just food for thought.

I showed the customer a psc system for over a grand and the TG for under 600, HE chose the TG.

I get paid to mount either.:D

Thank you for supporting their economy while ours is in the sh!thouse. Thats my point. :cool:(wheres the pimp clarkW smoking smilie??)

when I had my toyota, I used a PSC 8 inch single ended ram. (Collared to 6) If they know your application, they will be able to collar it to only have 6 inches of travel. FWIW I would roll with a double ended ram, I didn't like how mine reacted when end was returning.

doesnt matter really on a toyota. The level of performance gained by using a dual over a single is pretty much voided by the fact its on a leaf toyota.

The single is cheaper and better protected and simpler to mount and service.

the dual is pimp, and it needs a more complex mount, has two exposed ends to worry about damaging, has the best/equal steering performance. Its more complex with lots of parts and is expensive.

Will the fact that I'm planning on linking my truck in the near future change how the setup should be?

Will the fact that I'm planning on linking my truck in the near future change how the setup should be?

Your set up will pretty much stay the same, if you are running toy axles. Any more then 6 inch travel and you will over steer the axle and rip your high steer arms off. The big thing with hydro is it will turn even if it's bound up. Been there done that. :awesomework:

Haha ok. Before I deployed I broke 5 steering studs off:fawkdancesmiley:.. I'm going to replace with the six shooter knuckles and arms and ARP studs.. Hope that will fix that problem.