• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I hate my exhaust!

RustyC

Running a 4.3L V6 in the buggy with short exhaust. Currently using glass pack style mufflers. It is not bad idling but at 4-5K rpm it is just TOO DAMN LOUD!
Looking to make some changes. I don't have a lot of room to work with, that's why the glass packs are there now. The current mufflers have a 12" body and I can fit in a 18-20" muffler in there but I'm not sure if there will be much difference. The biggest I could fit is a 5" body round muffler.
I have thought of adding a Supertrapp tip and disc's on the end of the pipes hoping to take the bite out of the top end noise. That would give me some "tuning" ability for sound.

Any of you knuckle heads have any other ideas or .......advice? :dunno:

i use a muffler called a turbo tube on my rigs. It has the same deminsions as your glass packs, but sound like a turbo muffler. i will find out who makes them and reply.

I can't see your pics on P bucket. I run a single 20" glass on mine. The further away you can get that muffler from the motor the less decibel tone you'll have.

I don't know if you have room to do that but mine is pleasant even at full throttle that way.

I run a turbo tube muffler on my 4.3, when I first built it, I had a round dynomax bullet on it, sounded great at idle, but give it the gas it was terrible! pop and crackled like straight pipes! there is nothing much you can do to make a 4.3 sound good, just leave it quiet and idle on.

I have no idea what brand they are but I had 2 "turbo" mufflers on my Mustang that were about the size of a glass pack. Think they are shorter than what you have though. Anywhoooo, I am running one of them on my TJ now with a turndown. It doesn't sound (tone) as good as the flowmaster with a tailpipe did but it isn't loud. I still have 1 of them in my shed but there are no markings on them. Got them waaaay back in high school from a muffler shop in Cullman.

I have a friend with a 4.3 and he had a Supertrap on it. Until I got a look at it I figured he was running a 22r from the sound. I've heard Flowmasters on a 4.3 that sound good, but not really space saving. I run a Spintech muffler on my YJ and I think it sounds pretty good. Still a little bigger than your glasspack though.

muddinmetal said:
Hushpower should fix you right up

They are definitely much quieter than a glass pack. I think at a high RPM it will still be pretty load though. My buggy gets pretty load when you open it up. I don' thtink there is a fix for that unless you choke it to death.

Well I have a pair of turbo tube style mufflers on the way as well as a couple short flex joints. I found an exhaust leak after the last ride. I thought is was small but after removing the drivers side exhaust I found is was cracked pretty good under the wrap. Welded up the cracks and will re-wrap it. Hopefully the flex joints will prevent future cracks.
I know everyone has a different option on the sound of their exhaust but trying to spot the youngin's learning to drive up an obstacle with load exhaust gets frustrating.
Maybe the new exhaust will make communicating easier.

Remember the conversation we had comparing shoe sizes with them younguns and how yall both have a big foot? I think theres a correlation between that and exhaust decibles. :fish: :dunno:

Update. I welded up the crack in the headers and installed the new mufflers. They are the "Turbo Tube" style muffler. (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-att24s-3/overview/)
I also added a 4" stainless flex after the muffler. I am happy with the sound. I definitely took the bit out of the exhaust in the higher rpms and has a pretty deep tone for a V6.

If anyone is wanting quieter exhaust I would definitely advise this style muffler over a glasspack. Both are about the same size but the turbo tube style in much quieter.