• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I like strokin it!

that's one of the ones I was talking about.. the Edge is known to kill the Ford autos...

I'm just wondering the correlation here... obviously any extra power is going to be hard on the transmission... why is the Edge so much worse for the transmission than any other chip or tuner?

If you're putting more power through it and you can't keep your foot off the smoke pedal, any stock auto transmission is going to fail eventually. What does the Edge box do differently?

Last edited:
My tuning is a variation of the 10k mod. I built mine with a rotary switch that allows you to choose between stock, 15k, 10k, and 4.6K of resistance. Each step adds more fuel to the fire (essentially what all the expensive tuner boxes do.) I can post pics of my setup in my dash.

My TC lockup is just as simple. It's a toggle switch hooked into the TC control wire. When you ground the wire, the TC is locked up. I added a bi-color LED to the mix so you can tell when the TC is locked. It turns green when the computer locks it up, and red when I flip the switch. You can also use it to see if the computer is allowing it to slowly lock up (slip) by it turning amber. When towing, I see my tranny temps run drastically lower. You just have to make sure you unlock it before you stop... otherwise its just like stopping with a manual tranny with it in gear and the clutch engaged.
:redneck:

I'm just wondering the correlation here... obviously any extra power is going to be hard on the transmission... why is the Edge so much worse for the transmission than any other chip or tuner?
If you're putting more power through it and you can't keep your foot off the smoke pedal, any stock auto transmission is going to fail eventually. What does the Edge box do differently?
The programmer doesn't just control the motor.
:;:;

im not up to date on the edge but custom tuning they actually adjust shift points and line pressure and the likes the cheaper programmers dont have adjustments for the transmission therefore stressing it more.

Right, I'm aware of that... but what does it do differently than other tuners that makes it a transmission killer?

It increases line pressure in the program, the extra line pressure added causes it to bypass on the cooler bypass(I mentioned in the last post) and causes it to run hot because its not getting to the cooler, hence the bypass tube pressure valve is allowing the fluid to bypass the cooler causeing the transmission to run hot which in turn kills your trans. The bypass block off it less than $50 (or free if you weld up the banjo bolt holes and reinstall them) and is well worth it. The added line pressure can cause failure if the trans is not in good cond, so as long as yours trans is still good it should hold pretty well with the amount of power these mods will produce.:beer: