• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

I need a hand

NW-4X4

My 93 Toy Keeps blowing the R&P I'm on the third set, Randy's ring and Pinion has done all my set up's. they are 529's front and rear but it's my DD so I'm not out running the pi#$ out of it but yet they keep failing.
The first one was 529's open pushing 35's, second set 529's open pushing 33's and they failed, the third set 529's locked pushing 33's still they failed with in a year.
Do I need to add a traction bar? it is lifted with blocks, I'm just grabbing at straws now. :booo:

what keeps happing to them???? over heat,broken teeth??? is the pinion pointed up and you cant get enough oil in it???

The housing is strait, the pinion teeth are breaking off and some of the ring gear teeth do as well. I'm on my second new third member and carrier. It's not shimmed more than a few degrease I don't think it's even 5 degrease. :scratchhead: and i use good oil.

529 have a really small pinion. they heat up quickly. they dont have a lot of teeth and there a steep angle. if they have a diffrent quality of gears or mabe a diffrent brand to try?? when do they fail after a long drive or after 4x4ing?? do you loan it out to any one??

Ok the last set went out during my drive down and back to Longview, WA. from Aberdeen. Don't get me wrong I do take it off road but I don't wheel it hard not near as hard as my last 4x4.
I have always followed Randy's Ring & Pinion break in instructions. I don't reuse the barrings.
To work and back 30+ miles a day, and fishing trips all over the state.

I have seen 1 do this before he was running genuine gears we swapped out for yukons he has been running them for 2 yrs now wheeling and daily driver with no problems

My first set was Yukons, but that isn't to say I didn't get one bad set. my front ones are 5 years old no problems.
I thought about cutting down my 1/2 ton Chevy gear I have sitting around but then my poor 22re would suffer.

Ok the last set went out during my drive down and back to Longview, WA. from Aberdeen. Don't get me wrong I do take it off road but I don't wheel it hard not near as hard as my last 4x4.
I have always followed Randy's Ring & Pinion break in instructions. I don't reuse the barrings.
To work and back 30+ miles a day, and fishing trips all over the state.

If you do alot of highway running, do you change the oil regularly?? That oil will break down ALOT faster with the lower ratio due to the speed the pinion's spinning in there....synthetic or otherwise.

Ok that's good to know I never thought about that, but that would lead me to think I would have problems with the rear axle barrings.

Ok that's good to know I never thought about that, but that would lead me to think I would have problems with the rear axle barrings.

Nope, because their actual rotating speed doesn't change with a gear ratio change...

Not saying it's normal at all--just something to consider....There can actually be many varying factors as to why yours is plagueing you== driving habits, install issues, faulty parts, oil issues to name a few. I do know several guys that run 5:29's on their DD's, and haven't had any issues persay, but they do take 10 minutes extra when changing their engine oil...

Thanks it gave me some ideas one of them I want to run by ya'll.
lets say one of the issues is a dry pinion, so if I cut the oil bung out and move it up a half inch that would allow me to add about 1/2 quart of oil this in theory this would eliminate a dry pinion. or am I just asking to add to the problems?

Set up correctly, you should be getting good life out of the Yukons; we've had real good luck with them.

You are fairly close to me, get that 3rd up to Centralia and I'll take a good look at it for you. If you want to bring your housing up we can check that too.