• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

if you were to buy a tow rig...

I have a 95 ram/cummins with 208 on the clock. The only part of the truck failing is the paint. If I had it to do over again I would stay with the 12v and nv4500.

12v really no issues, 24v has fuel pump issues, common rails have injector issues. If it were me I would either get a 98 12v whitch is getting hard to find, or get a 2nd gen 24v and address the lift pump also need to upgrade draw straw down inside the tank. Its really only the dodge trucks that have alot of vp failures, lots of vp powered motor homes, busses out there with no fuel issues. We have a yard tractor at work that has a vp 5.9 24v wih 18k running hours on the original vp.
These older trucks can be had for cheep especially a 2nd gen24v.

I could go toe for toe with you on quality issues in the interior between our trucks if you want. Nothing looks cheaper then the interior of a Ford truck if you ask me.

Just my opinion, I don't like 'em, they feel small and I'm a big guy. So I like my Ford, you like yer dodge, 'nuff said.

Just my opinion, I don't like 'em, they feel small and I'm a big guy. So I like my Ford, you like yer dodge, 'nuff said.

yea that is certainly one way to look at it.. I'm a smaller guy, and like the "cozy" feeling. The Ford is built for the Texas mentality. Big open seats, big open dash, big everything.

And I wouldn't be scared off by the 6.0... The problems can be handled. It's just whether you're willing to put the money into it right off the bat to save you some headaches. They're all good trucks, just find one that looks like something you'd be happy with. Then research it and fix the issues. They've all got em.

Last edited:
yea that is certainly one way to look at it.. I'm a smaller guy, and like the "cozy" feeling. The Ford is built for the Texas mentality. Big open seats, big open dash, big everything.

And I wouldn't be scared off by the 6.0... The problems can be handled. It's just whether you're willing to put the money into it right off the bat to save you some headaches. They're all good trucks, just find one that looks like something you'd be happy with. Then research it and fix the issues. They've all got em.

ford 6.0... :puke:

I had a 25 year ford diesel mechanic tell me the whole story with them.. even he said they were garbage

ford 6.0... :puke:

I had a 25 year ford diesel mechanic tell me the whole story with them.. even he said they were garbage

That's because Ford mechanics know stock trucks, and that is IT. Very rarely do you find a mechanic at a dealership that knows anything at all about the aftermarket world. They could care less, it's just a job for them. Look at the 6.4.. same basic motor. And it's doing awesome. They fixed the flaws.

Notice that no one has suggested Chevys? :haha:

I have been very happy with my 7.3L Powerstroke. It has 145k on it now and for the most part, has been trouble free. The UVC connections messed up once and I've replaced the CPS just to be safe. Other than ball joints, the drivetrain has never been touched. My Dad has a new Superduty with the 6.4L and he loves it.
:awesomework:

That's because Ford mechanics know stock trucks.

Good luck finding a mechanic at a Ford dealership that knows Powerstrokes well...
I agree with Jeff about the 6.0 though I wouldn't buy one. International had great luck with the 6.0 so it must be the Ford sytems screwing up the 6.0 Navistar engine.

Plain and simple, go test drive them all (dealerships or your friends or ppl you know) go buy one you like. Theres good and bad about all of them:awesomework:

uummmm ya I did.I just didnt say thats the only truck for the job. every one has a truck they like for there own reasons. Insides,outsides,quality of build,how big the window and so on. I must be the only one that cares enough to good about GMC trucks.:awesomework:

i had a 97 12v dodge with the 5 speed...absolutely loved it...it was the extracab...my family outgrew it..i had to have the 4 door cab..now i have a 2004.5 cummins 6 speed 4 door...a much nicer truck overall,ALOT quieter inside,drives nicer rides good..seating it waaaaaay more comphy for long trips..but im a tall guy..i couldnt ever get comfy in the 97 seat..motor wise,ive had 1 issue,just had to clean the injector harness once..did a muff delete,k&n filter in the stock box and a smarty jr...tows my junk just as well as my 97 did and gets better mileage doing it..

Plain and simple, go test drive them all (dealerships or your friends or ppl you know) go buy one you like. Theres good and bad about all of them:awesomework:

have you been stalking me? :fawkdancesmiley:That's ok, I'll allow it, you're a sexy biatch :kiss: (I have a feeling I'm gunna regret that)

Last edited:
I have heard that but never seen it or any more issues with them compared to any other company.

My dad had one a few years ago before he bought his duramax. Granted it was a flat bed work truck but literaly all of the interior fell apart. The door handels broke the interior panels where falling apart the front end was gone through. I don't know the all of the details to it this was just from what he had told me. He's owned 2 dodges and now he swears he will never own another one. He loves his duramax.

I have been very happy with my 7.3L Powerstroke. It has 145k on it now and for the most part, has been trouble free. The UVC connections messed up once and I've replaced the CPS just to be safe. Other than ball joints, the drivetrain has never been touched. My Dad has a new Superduty with the 6.4L and he loves it.

I also notice that not many are singing the praises of there ford either :awesomework:

I got a 1995 F350, 7.3, 5 speed 4x4. Love the truck... 209k on the clock and it does not show it at all. I just did its first set of GPs and the GPR with harness. Changed all the fluids and thats it. Great solid truck. Keep them stock and they seem to last longer. Buddy of mine has one that just broke 412K miles.

Dodge guys like the attention. :redneck:

nooo.. There's WAY more Fords on the road with drivers saying "look at me!". Dodge is just more popular on the forums because we want the truck with the most power :fawkdancesmiley:

Chevy's and Fords aren't near as few and far between as they used to be. With the Dmax getting ironed out in recent years and engines in Fords that can finally produce some power. They are gaining popularity.

And if anyone comes back to the "Well I just need a truck to tow my trail rig".. It's like someone saying a stock wrangler is plenty for them to go down the trail.