• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

if you were to buy a tow rig...

My 96 12v has around 115k and heres the stuff I've had issues with so far.
  • Broken heater fan switch knob
  • headliner falling out
  • headlight switch melted
  • over head map light cracked fell out
  • seat ripped
  • duct tape holding the driver side door buzzer switch in
  • sheet metal on driver door holding window track fastener fatige cracked and tore out
  • doors are sagging at the hinges and hit the jams when closing
  • fuel tank sending unit failed
  • overdrive button light no worky
  • auto trans bought bought the farm twice (good now though :awesomework: 3k later)
  • Turbo is getting weak
  • Throttle return spring MIA
  • power window switch driver door cracked and fell in

Thats all I can think of now.

If I was buying an older 12 valve, I'd get a 5 speed, if around 200k put away 1500 for a fuel pump along with some cheddar for brakes, clutch, 5th gear nut etc.

seat rip is pretty common yea, I've had that too. Fuel sending unit is another one that is common too.. I think I spent 80 bucks to fix the two things? I can make a list just as long as that with some friends with Ford trucks. And even shorter lists that add up to way more cost to fix then the dodge

Why would you need to save up 1500 bucks for the fuel pump on a 12 valve? And 3k for a tranny, you got away cheap. Decent trannys for these things start at 4k. If you want shafts, it quickly jumps to 6k.

Everything else on my truck that was "fixed," wasn't for repair.

Of course I know plenty of people have many more issues with their Dodges then I have. But I kind of wonder what in the world they're doing with them to have such bad luck. I don't exactly treat mine nice.

2003 Dodge 4x4 2500 6.9 QC LB. 65k miles and I have put brake pads on it and changed the oil a few times....does that count as repairs???:fawkdancesmiley::kissmyass:
Oh and a small dent or two...

It's my theory that the high pressure pump is likely to fail anywhere between 180 and 350k miles, you never know. Last time I checked it cost around 15hun to replace.

3K wasn't cheap to rebuild a tranny in my book. It put a little pain in my wallet. I had it built for towing and really didn't think it needed the extra grand in shafts and turd polish. I'm dont plan on abusing it banging through gears with lots of added horsys.

Add throttle position senser to the list of expensive little plasticy electrical parts that failed.

Last edited:
It's my theory that the high pressure pump is likely to fail anywhere between 180 and 350k miles, you never know. Last time I checked it cost around 15hun to replace.

3K wasn't cheap to rebuild a tranny in my book. It put a little pain in my wallet. I had it built for towing and really didn't think it needed the extra grand in shafts and turd polish. I'm dont plan on abusing it banging through gears with lots of added horsys.

Add throttle position senser to the list of expensive little plasticy electrical parts that failed.

3k is definitely painful. I'm just saying for a Dodge that's not bad, sadly. BTS for a mildly built Ford will cost ya more then that as well.

And I suppose the pump could be hit and miss with that kinda mileage your right. Decent used/rebuilt ones are 600 to 1k now though. So still not real cheap, but better.

The usually say output shaft if you tow often with 400+ rwhp.. Inputs more for the racing crowd.. intermediate shaft braking just seems to be a freak accident.

After all that said, I love my motor. It will prob be running in something else long after the truck goes to the crusher. I'm looking for a second tow rig to use as a daily driver and guess what? Yep, it'll be another crappy dodge :haha:

Jeff you know the issue with you trying to sell these type of arguments is that you're not impartial. You're a Dodge guy and will argue against a Ford even if you know it's not right...Just saying..

Oh yeah, My Dodge, My Dodge, My Dodge!!!:stirpot:

Jeff you know the issue with you trying to sell these type of arguments is that you're not impartial. You're a Dodge guy and will argue against a Ford even if you know it's not right...Just saying..

Oh yeah, My Dodge, My Dodge, My Dodge!!!:stirpot:

I don't know why you guys think I'm a Dodge guy. I may defend them when people do nothing but slam them because they think they're just junk.. My two favorite trucks ever made are an OBS crew cab LB 4x4 and a late 70's Ford reg cab LB. I think they're all good trucks, and they're all worth owning even with the issues they each have.

Hell in HS I was known as the Ford guy.. Anyone I see from HS is amazed to see me drive a Dodge. I'm not partial to any of em. If they're good they're good. If they're junk they're junk. I don't care who makes it. Same goes with cars, bikes, boats, whatever.

Last edited:
3k is definitely painful. I'm just saying for a Dodge that's not bad, sadly. BTS for a mildly built Ford will cost ya more then that as well.

Bout $4500 for a BTS...but the thing about a BTS is..he builds the same tranny for 700HP as he builds for 200hp... And he stands behind it no matter what you do to it or with it.

I've said for a long time... The motor is great in a dodge....But I can't stand the rickshaw that it's pullin....

get a p-pumped 2002 dodge 24v with a 6 speed....and stay away from # 53 blocks

Last edited:
get a p-pumped 2002 dodge 24v with a 6 speed....and stay away from # 53 blocks

ok I gotta ask.. Why 6 speed over 5 speed and why a 2002 over a 2001? Also, a normal port job will produce the same flow numbers on a 12 valve that a 24 valve flows. And 53 blocks are not the only ones that have crakced.

Mike's truck is going to be bad ass.. I can say that cause it already is even with a VP :redneck:

ok I gotta ask.. Why 6 speed over 5 speed and why a 2002 over a 2001? Also, a normal port job will produce the same flow numbers on a 12 valve that a 24 valve flows. And 53 blocks are not the only ones that have crakced.

Mike's truck is going to be bad ass.. I can say that cause it already is even with a VP :redneck:
well an 01 would be fine too .. and the 6 speed because the 5speeds have a big gap between 4th and 5th gear and a 12v with the 4door opt only came in one year and even thinks there like gold ...... and yes other blocks do crack but more often then not the 53 blocks do

my dodge

its a 95 xcab 4x4 leveled on 20s and 35" toyo mts
fuel,tranny,boost,egt,and drive pressure gauges
auto with trip disk, billet input , billet servo and billet output, hd clutches custom valve body and a lock up switch
the good stuff
stainless steel 64/71/14 high tech turbo
4 inch strait pipe
sb intake
High Tech Turbo's 3 piece 12V Exhaust Manifold
sdx injectors 5x16s ( going 5x18s)
ddp dv's .024s
100 plate full forward
afc gutted and forward
4k gsk
timing as of now 17* will be going @ 24* with the new injectors
60# valve springs