• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Im done with it !! FAWKIN POS.

Is the flex plate loose or are the welds broken on it? Seems like missing teeth would be pretty obvious when you spun it. Or if something smashed it into an egg shape it'll have a random tight spot that will strain any starter. That could be why it cranks after you move it.

Voting the flexplate as well. I would have never known mine was cracked in 3 spots if I didn't take it out,clean it and paint it when I was doing freeze plugs a while back. The cracks didnt really show til it was primed up on the hanger. Picked up a TCI from summit for about 40 bucks and chucked the old one.

Did you replace the tq converter when you had the trans done? I pulled a 350/350 apart and someone had the wrong tq converter in it and it had been shoving the nose of the converter into the crank and was pulling the flexplate back to the tq converter making a wicked bow in the flexplate.

I had a flex plate that cracked around the bolts to the crank. It ate starters(and trans "input" bearings) like it was going out of style!! I didn't figure it out till I swapped to an LS. Even then it was hard to see. Just small hair line cracks that made it flex and run out.

OLD Gen1 TBI motor and TH350 trans if it matters.

I'd start at the flex plate if you've tried everything else.

Can you see the flex plate with the motor running? If so look at see if its moving forward and backwards as it turns.

Re: Im done with it !! FAWKIN POS.

417chevy said:
You sure your starter bolts and backing out also make sure the fly wheel isn't cracked and all the bell housing bolts are tight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man I actually thought of this yesterday. Honestly one of the flexplate bolts was indeed a little bit loose, not super loose but it could definitely be tightened more.. Going to recheck all of the bolts here shortly. Really shortly I just heard a huge boom of thunder so looks like we are off work!

I'd bet money it's the flywh....., I mean flex plate. If you do change it, verify it has the correct amount of teeth for your motor. +/- 1 or 2 teeth will kill your starter.

Re:

My rig isn't as pretty as yours, ain't on stickies, and doesn't ride on a cloud of titties..... but it cranks and starts just fine. I'll trade ya!

ibrokeit said:
God, you are a cry baby. Sell out already...
What the hell U dojn in tech and fab? Good lord. Welcome, but the "butt sex in a razor" forum is patiently Waitin on Ur "services" U advertised. haha ****. This is a FAWKIN nightmare! But thanks for the advice.

dam Ford driver.

RebelRider said:
I'd bet money it's the flywh....., I mean flex plate. If you do change it, verify it has the correct amount of teeth for your motor. +/- 1 or 2 teeth will kill your starter.
Well FAWK. Awesome. Funny how a 40 dollar part can really be a pain in the ass to replace.

Check your block and make sure your bolt holes are not cracked. Sbc' are bad about this, I like to replace flywheels and starters at the same time,and do your self a favor if you have to put a new flex plate on get a local rebuilder to replace the starter gear at the same time, shouldn't be 15-20 bucks total. If your starter holes are cracked your going to need a different starter housing that uses a different hole in the block, my last buggy did this and I was able to figure out a way to use 3 bolts to hold it on. Pm me your number if this is the case and I will talk you thru it.

Another "make sure"... it's for a 400. That flexplate is different the rest, and I think might even change over the years of the 400 blocks.

Here's a thought guys. The only thing left. I've got a big motor and was having starter problems. Sometimes it would start and sometimes you would have to click it several times. Shim it out would start once. Next time not. Took the dust pan off and the damn "flywheel" was wobbly. Checked the bolts holding the flex plate on and all were tight. To shorten the story found out I had ballooned the torque converter. It finally eat the front on the pump and had to pull the tranny. That's how I found it. New tranny, new torque converter same starter. Been working ever since. My .02

Re: Im done with it !! FAWKIN POS.

Too much timing? Does it mess up the starter when restarting while hot? Blew a couple big block starters up like this. Worked fine when cold, but when warmed up, with too much advance, it would try to push the piston back down, and kick back. Was hell on the starter and flex plate. Pulled some timing out and gave up some hp just to make parts last longer.