• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Info on enclosed trailers???

nealcj8

I am looking at a 28' bumper pull enclosed trailer. The trailer already has roof air and a shower in it and 8 lug axles under it, he is currently working out of town so I don't have demensions for the rear door yet to see if my buggy will fit. When he gets back in town I am going to look at it and make sure it will work for me. My question for everybody is who is using the same setup and how do you like them? How well does a 28' foot bumper tow? I will be pulling with a 02 F350 single wheel and I have a load level hitch I could put on it. Pics of your setup would be appreciated. He is only asking 4,000 for the trailer so it sounds like a pretty good deal.

Here's a couple of pics

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0142.JPG
    IMG_0142.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 154
I had a 28' at one time and pulled it many times with my old GMC 2500 and a friend used it with his F250.
Pulled great with no special hitch setup but we did pay attention to how we loaded things. Before I sold it some friends went to Sturgis with it behind a gas burner F250 with 6 motorcycles in it and they claim it did fine, in fact so good the guy that owned the truck brought me cash back home instead of my trailer.

I like the wide side door on it, I have a 24' V nose that i use and cant get my fourwheeler in and out the narrow door. I love mine otherwise.

Aren't those 6 lug wheels, making it 5200lb axles? Will it have enough payload once you add the buggy and all your gear? I found a sweet deal a while back, but it was on 5 lug wheels.

sleepsontoilet said:
Aren't those 6 lug wheels, making it 5200lb axles? Will it have enough payload once you add the buggy and all your gear? I found a sweet deal a while back, but it was on 5 lug wheels.

They may be. I have not seen the trailer yet in person.

nealcj8 said:
Are 2 5200 lbs not enough?

barely or not enough. and that most likely means the tires might be 15" so you'll be at the upper end of the tire weight carrying capacity.

also, the ceiling height probably won't be enough. hard to tell the height though

for sure under axled. That trailer probably weighs 5k itself.
Figure a buggy is 14-16'. that leaves a fella with 12 more feet to fill with heavy ****, or a 2nd buggy.
10,400 - 5k (trailer) equals 5,400 before being tapped.

For realworld, I have a 24' Featherlite enclosed with 7k's. And I can overload that thing like a mofo going offroad and I got 4 less feet of area to stack ****! Jussss' sayin'

But for $4k for that trailer, its still a good buy and plan on throwing 7k's and bigger tires and wheels on it.

InDaShop said:
for sure under axled. That trailer probably weighs 5k itself.
Figure a buggy is 14-16'. that leaves a fella with 12 more feet to fill with heavy ****, or a 2nd buggy.
10,400 - 5k (trailer) equals 5,400 before being tapped.

For realworld, I have a 24' Featherlite enclosed with 7k's. And I can overload that thing like a mofo going offroad and I got 4 less feet of area to stack ****! Jussss' sayin'

But for $4k for that trailer, its still a good buy and plan on throwing 7k's and bigger tires and wheels on it.

yep. mine is a 24' and weighs 4500#. buggy weighs 4800#. I upgraded to 6k axles that are 8 lug. we built a small bunk in the front to sleep in and the rest is open area

with drive over fenders, you'll probably want +6" of height. I went +12 just in case and glad I did. I also went widest rear opening to help with loading.

Thanks for all of the info guys I'm wanting to put a bed, shower, and toilet in it so I for sure don't want to overload it. I will go look at it in person in a couple of days and report back with what I find.

I would definitely want 8 lug axles so you get the bigger brakes, bearings and tires. If you are gonna camp in it I would want at least 6 inches of extra height. I would also get the trailer you want/need, not just a good deal. Buy once, cry once. Also check into registering it in Maine because it's cheap.

dont always go by the lugs for the axles. mine are 7k, and have 6 lug. previous owner swapped spindles with his other trailer because he wanted to keep the wheels and tires off of mine for when he swapped axles in his new trailer. his new was a 36' with front living quarters (full size toilet and shower included) with 5200 lb axles! :eek: :eek:

Another thing to consider is if it has a title or not. Some people don't care but I buy and sell them a lot and can tell you it makes a huge difference in resale. I had a 2007 pace 28' I ended up having to go back and pay original sales tax on so I could get a title only because it couldn't sell around here without.