• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

It has started... SAS Dakota 1997

SASDakota

So I was going to wait a little longer to get pics and a thread started but I decided to just go ahead and start the thread after having gotten the rear axle cleaned up.

The mission - Solid axle front and D44 swap the rear with a unknown set ride height. TJ springs are being used with a home-brew Radius arm setup modeled after the RE TJ long arm kit.

The rig - 1997 Dakota v6 std cab. I bought this rig for 350$ from a lady whos son had put it in a ditch off woods creek rd. It started with rebuilding the front end with stock parts and a home-brew bumper with warn MX8000 up front. Now after having blown the front IFS diff to smitherines I started searching for parts and what suspension I wanted. I then settled after finding my D44s for a good price.

Sorry for the long winded intro I just figured I would get you guys caught up since im new to the site and I have heard questions about such an axle swap.

Parts list to date (10/6/10).
- Rubicon express Superflex joints and Bushings
- J10 D44 front & rear
- OX Locker front
- Full Spool Rear
- Yukon 4.88s Front & Rear
- DOM 3/8 wall lower links of radius arms
- Foothill offroad brackets (too many to list)
- TJ front coil bucket/shock mount
- Rubicon Express 5.5" coils for a TJ
- 37x13.50x15 Pitbull Rocker Tires
- Adapt-It-USA 1.3" wheel spacers in front
- Tube Fenders, rock sliders, soon to be full tube bed.

Now for what pics I have better ones will be posted later. And Ill continue to update as I go. :corn:

IMAGE_105.jpg

Rear Axle

IMAGE_106.jpg

Rear Axle again

IMAGE_107.jpg

Front Axle and Hobart plasma cutter

IMAGE_108.jpg

My Grinder Arsenal

Last edited:
More pics of my parts

mockup.jpg

Mockup of brackets, very rough

brackets.jpg

Gathering parts, brackets from foothill offroad

DOM2.jpg

thickness of my lower links

DOM.jpg

Last edited:
I received my upper link tubes today. just waiting on my joints to come in. I also received my wheels!

? haha wrong rig.. who is this?

I'm thinking it was just a coincidental guess.

You know, you should just cut the lip off those wheels and do some DIY beadlocks now. You're going to do it eventually... :D

I'll look for those spacers tonight when I start cleaning up the garage a little bit.

seems odd he asked about a CTD though haha

im going with internal beadlocks but that would be an option too hehe

I made some really good progress today and yesterday! Will have some progress pics tomorrow night!

Does anyone know of a good place to get drivelines worked on around here? I need to convert my stock dakota driveline to a D44 end.

Advanced Drivelines in Yelm, they did a great job on mine & are pretty inexpensive compared to other places. Thats a little ways from your area but may be worth the price.

HAHA Washington works but preferably close to monroe, everett, bothell, arlington area.

Around here, Best Drivelines is probably the cheapest. Greg did a good job on mine and I have no complaints. Other people have had less than stellar comments about him, but it was all good for me.

Drivelines NW also did decent work on the couple I've taken in, but they were at least twice the price.

There is another place right next to I5 in everett that someone recommended - Direct Driveline, but I've never been there.

Last edited:
0124091913.jpg

here is the rear ride height. if i finish up tomorrow ill have pics of all the brackets and of everything after paint. im really happy with the lift height and the strength of the brackets I made. Which im sure are way overkill.

spool.jpg

Here is the next project after the rear axle is in. A friend of mine is going to help me set them up since ive never done a D44.